What's new

Official BABES IN TOYLAND (1934) on blu ray? (1 Viewer)

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
I may have mentioned this in passing, but could it be possible for MGM to release an official blu ray of the 1934 version of BABES IN TOYLAND this year?

We all know the checkered ownership history of this title...long story short, this was originally an MGM release, then Hal Roach passed ownership from one owner to another, finally ending up with the current copyright holder, Tribune Studios, while technically distribution has returned to MGM via the Orion Pictures library.

There was a converted 3D blu ray release by Legend Films a few years back, but it is really an unlicensed issue.

The print that was screened on TCM last year is the best I have ever seen, considering the broadcast was sanctioned by MGM. Perhaps either Olive or Kino can tackle that one.

P.S. I can't get WPIX where I am (they are the technical copyright holders as they are owned by Tribune).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have the Legend Films 3D release. I don't think I even opened the shrinkwrap yet. That is how behind I am on viewing what I own.

I am sure *somebody* will re-release this film at some point. It is a classic, after all.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have the Legend Films DVD and the MGM DVD. The MGM version is the sharpest print of the two, with far better greyscale. A most reliable source has indicated the latter is superior to even the 2D Legend Blu-ray from 2010, which gives me cause to wonder whether it's merely an upscaled version?

However, I'm not sure about the 2012 3D release by Legend. That might be a whole different animal?

CHEERS! :)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
So I found out from my mom that there’s apparently going to be a “remastered” version airing on the CW Thursday morning. Anyone know if they can confirm this?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So I found out from my mom that there’s apparently going to be a “remastered” version airing on the CW Thursday morning. Anyone know if they can confirm this?
Here in NY they are showing the B&W version for the first time in over 20 years. And the colorized version later in the day. Perhaps that’s what was heard.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Here in NY they are showing the B&W version for the first time in over 20 years. And the colorized version later in the day. Perhaps that’s what was heard.

I don’t really know for sure, I’m just going by what she told me right now. However, she’s set the DVR to record the showing so I can report on whether there’s any improvements or not.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here You Go

A THANKSGIVING GIFT FROM PIX! For years, we've heard from viewers who want to see "March of the Wooden Soldiers" in black and white on Thanksgiving day. Well, we have good news! For the first time in a generation, WPIX NY will present "March of the Wooden Soldiers" in black and white, airing a beautifully restored print! The last time we aired this holiday classic in black and white was 1990, 28 years ago. The original, black-and-white film will air at 9 a.m. Thanksgiving day, while the colorized version will be shown later that day, at 3 p.m. Now, you have your choice, or you can watch it both ways! Spread the word!

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Just finished watching our DVR recording of the Pix showing. It started with a modern MGM logo, but not the most recent logo, so if it was a restoration, it certainly wasn’t a recent restoration. Still, for what it’s worth, the print used was relatively clean and had little if any damage, so I’m guessing it was sourced from the MGM transfer. The same couldn’t be said about the print of The Live Ghost that followed (colorized, bad quality, and severely cropped).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.