What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gold -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"Gimme that old razzle-dazzle..."

Fans of Matthew McConaughey should be extremely pleased with his performance in Gold, as he leaves the pretty boy behind, creating a character to whom you might not wish to sit next to on a flight.

He and Edgar Ramirez are prospectors that find themselves at the center of a world-class gold find. What follows is a wonderful two hours of entertainment, directed by Stephen Gaghan, who gave us Syriana, and was the writer behind Rules of Engagement and Traffic. It will keep you guessing as to what's going to happen next.

Gold was shot on film, presumably completed as a 2k DI, and the resultant Blu-ray from Anchor Bay is gorgeous in all respects.

Audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 services the release well.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This film made me understand how First Nations people in Canada feel about cultural appropriation. While I thought the film was made well enough, I really couldn't into this story knowing that a Canadian story, as sordid as it was, was appropriated in the service of American culture.

The film was an B+ in terms of McConaughey's performance which, for me, is saying something, since I am not a fan of his acting. It gets an F for its egregious borrowing from another country's history. In fact, the film was even worse than U571 and ARGO in its appropriation. At least in U571 and ARGO there was acknowledgement that the basis of the stories was actually part of other countries histories. They couldn't even be bothered to do that much in this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks