What's new

Joseph H. Lewis's "Terror in Texas Town" coming in July from Arrow (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Yes, in the US.

NEW UK/US TITLE: Terror in Texas Town (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)

For his 41st and final feature film, Joseph H. Lewis was able to combine the two genres in which he had excelled.

Pre-order in the UK: http://bit.ly/2onp6Oy
North American pre-order links will be live soon!
Release Dates: 10/11 July

For his 41st and final feature film, Joseph H. Lewis was able to combine the two genres in which he had excelled. The man in the director’s chair for My Name is Julia Ross, Gun Crazy and The Big Combo, Lewis was one of the all-time greats in film noir. But he was also a fine director of Westerns, having made A Lawless Street, 7th Cavalry and The Halliday Brand, all of which – especially the last – remain underrated. Terror in a Texas Town would bring his noir sensibilities to the American West, resulting in one of his finest works.

McNeil (Sebastian Cabot, The Time Machine) is a greedy hotel owner who wants to take control of Prairie City, the Texas town of the title. Keen to drive the local farmers of their land, McNeil hires a gunman, Johnny Crale (Nedrick Young, who would pen the Oscar-winning screenplay for The Defiant Ones the same year), resulting in the death of a former whaler. The dead man’s son, George Hansen (Sterling Hayden, The Killing), arrives in town to inherit the farm and set the stage for revenge – armed with only his father’s old harpoon…

18118874_1081658248644171_3236541899247382965_n.png

Terror in a Texas Town was written by Dalton Trumbo, one of the Hollywood Ten blacklisted by the film industry and forced to write under pseudonyms or to use ‘fronts’. Two years before he helped break the blacklist with on-screen credits for Otto Preminger’s Exodus and Stanley Kubrick’s Spartacus, his work was credited to Ben Perry, but it demonstrates a psychological depth and political dimension that is undoubtedly that of Trumbo.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
•Brand-new 2K restoration from original film elements produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
•High-definition Blu-ray (1080p) and standard-definition DVD presentations
•Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM Audio
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Introduction by Peter Stanfield, author of Hollywood, Westerns and the 1930s: The Lost Trail and Horse Opera: The Strange History of the Singing Cowboy
•Scene-select commentaries by Stanfield
•Theatrical trailer
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Vladimir Zimakov

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Glenn Kenny

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I was undecided about which film to watch. I thought about Terror In A Texas Town but chose Body Heat instead. I might watch Terror In A Texas Town tonight, to see if I want to upgrade. (It's not a film I watch very often)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I still have my VHS off-air recording of this, from back when it came on a late-show on WTBS in May 1984. Yeah, I probably should go for an upgrade! Neat little film as I recall.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just pre-ordered this on Amazon. Looks like a good one. I like that Arrow is branching out from their usual horror releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks