What's new

RIP Jonathan Demme (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jonathan-demme-dead-silence-of-the-lambs-1202399122/

"Oscar-winning director Jonathan Demme has died of cancer complications, his publicist told Variety. He was 73 years old.

Demme is best known for directing “The Silence of the Lambs,” the 1991 horror-thriller that was a box office smash, a critical triumph, and introduced moviegoers to Anthony Hopkins’ Hannibal Lecter, a charismatic serial with a yen for Chianti, fava beans, and cannibalism. The story of a novice FBI analyst (Jodie Foster) on the trail of a murderer became only the third film in history to win Academy Awards in all the top five categories ( picture, actor, actress, director, and adapted screenplay), joining the ranks of “It Happened One Night” and “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.”"

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite movies. Incredibly tense and suspenseful with outstanding performances by all. RIP Mr. Demme.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I wasn't aware he was ill so kinda of bad surprise

RIP Mr Demme. Deepest condolences to his family, friends and fans.
Regards,

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Very sad. First thing from him I saw was probably Something Wild, great and underrated (with a young Melanie Griffth), and let's not forget Stop Making Sense.
RIP.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Stop Making Sense and Philadelphia are very good and The Silence Of The Lambs is a masterpiece. I even like some of his crazy early stuff that he did for Roger Corman.

I don't watch it but it looks like his last work is an episode of Shots Fired that airs tonight.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Demme was a terrific film maker. Something Wild was such a breath of fresh air when it came out. People will (rightfully) remember him for Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia - both outstanding pictures, but he also did a lot of great work with musicians. Stop Making Sense is a great concert film of the Talking Heads, and Demme's films of Neil Young in concert were also very good. He did a few videos for Bruce Springsteen that remain among Bruce's best. In short, there was very little the guy couldn't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks