What's new

Woofer on 1 front speaker tower not working - any idea what it could be? (1 Viewer)

Luke Marsh

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke Marsh
Hi everyone,

Firstly I am totally new to this forum and also to home theater stuff. I joined as I've got a problem with my new system that I just set up. I bought a Studio Acoustics 5.1 surround sound system second hand as a starter system as I didn't have much to budget with. The speakers came with a Sony STR-DE495 amplifier.

After setting it all up it seemed to be working but I did notice when playing music that it sounded like only one side of the music was coming through but I thought it was still going through all speakers. After closer inspection it seems the main speaker on the left side front tower is not doing anything at all, but the tweeter is so it's just producing this thin tinny sound only which is why it sounded one sided.

Any idea why this might be or how to fix it? I pulled the speaker out and checked the wires, they're all still connected. I figured if it was a busted speaker it would either all totally not work on that side (tweeter included) or the speaker would sound buzzy or distorted.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It's possible that the crossover or something electronic has burned out, which has broken the speaker. Do you see any obviously damaged capacitors (bulging) or otherwise smell any burned electronics on the crossover (circuit board inside)?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you have another driver or entire speaker connect it to the speaker wires. This if there is sound coming out then you have a bad driver. If you don't hear anything I too would think it's something in the xover.

Luke Marsh

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke Marsh
Thanks guys! I plugged the speaker into another amplifier and it's still doing the same thing. No burnt smell or anything, I feel like I may have bought the system like this (if only I had bothered to test it out first!). I'll take it to my electronics fixy guy to look at it and see what he says, I'm no good with hifi systems only guitar-related electronics! :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks