What's new

Question About "My Three Sons" (1 Viewer)

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
Is it true that CBS stalled the remastering effort on "My Three Sons"? Since Me-TV will be airing the first 5 seasons (which were originally in B&W) and the last 2 seasons, could they have restored prints? I know seasons 1 and 2 have been transferred to HD, according to the Syndication Bible, but it makes me curious as to if HD prints of the other 3 seasons exist, this includes seasons 11 and 12.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
While we won't know for certain until the episodes air, it is doubtful. These are likely the same transfers that aired on Nick at Nite.

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
While we won't know for certain until the episodes air, it is doubtful. These are likely the same transfers that aired on Nick at Nite.
I can't remember, were N@N's prints beat up, edited 16mm prints?

And with seasons 11 and 12, I assume they may have possible inherited the same prints Hallmark (Odyssey) aired back in the early 2000's?

Last edited:

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
I saw a post on Me-TV's Facebook page about "My Three Sons". Someone noticed that when Me-TV aired a promo for the show, every clip shown was from Seasons 1 and 2. This makes me curious as to if Me-TV actually has seasons 3-5.

EDIT: False alarm. In an email, they have told me they have the rights to the whole series.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I was sadly not able to tape their marathon, but I bet I watched a dozen episodes or more when it aired in the late 1990's. I recall them being complete and looking pretty solid, much like the Dennis the Menace tape transfers that were prepared in the 1980's for Nickelodeon that made it to DVD a few years back from Shout Factory.

We've been a bit spoiled in the years since, so I'm sure they won't be viewed as pristine like they seemed to be at the time. But they definitely weren't eyesores for 1960's tv shows on TV Land back then and look far better than the color transfers do that really need replacement.

I just hope we'll be spared the Heyes sounds for seasons 1-2, or whatever that guy's name is with the electronic synthesized keyboard that CBS was fond of enlisting on the cheap for their audio butchering a decade ago. I'd give up HD transfers with ruined audio for solid looking SD ones with original audio any day of the week.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I was sadly not able to tape their marathon, but I bet I watched a dozen episodes or more when it aired in the late 1990's. I recall them being complete and looking pretty solid, much like the Dennis the Menace tape transfers that were prepared in the 1980's for Nickelodeon that made it to DVD a few years back from Shout Factory.

We've been a bit spoiled in the years since, so I'm sure they won't be viewed as pristine like they seemed to be at the time. But they definitely weren't eyesores for 1960's tv shows on TV Land back then and look far better than the color transfers do that really need replacement.

I just hope we'll be spared the Heyes sounds for seasons 1-2, or whatever that guy's name is with the electronic synthesized keyboard that CBS was fond of enlisting on the cheap for their audio butchering a decade ago. I'd give up HD transfers with ruined audio for solid looking SD ones with original audio any day of the week.
Ya know, what happened to TV Land/Nick at Nite anyway? They were once both solid networks for classic TV. Somewhere I think I still have the first night of broadcast of TV Land (I think it was actually on Nick at Nite) and there were some real gems in there, completely unedited. Then edited episodes started creeping in, rarities were sent packing, no more classic commercials, endless reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond (not a bad show, but not a classic at this point), and then the worthless TV Bland "original programming."

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ya know, what happened to TV Land/Nick at Nite anyway? They were once both solid networks for classic TV. Somewhere I think I still have the first night of broadcast of TV Land (I think it was actually on Nick at Nite) and there were some real gems in there, completely unedited. Then edited episodes started creeping in, rarities were sent packing, no more classic commercials, endless reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond (not a bad show, but not a classic at this point), and then the worthless TV Bland "original programming."

And AMC used to be American Movie Classics instead of overplayed 80s movies and crappy comic book shows, TLC was once "The Learning Channel" instead of a freak show, and A&E was "Arts and Entertainment", of which it currently has neither.

Network decay sucks.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I remember when I first had the Bravo Channel and showed art & foreign films. Saw for the first time the full cut of Heaven's Gate. I agree about AMC, The Learning & Discovery Channels, A&E, and even the History Channel showing a lot of worthless crap. Glad I bought dvd recorders when they came out and recorded a lot of good shows before all those channels went into dumb mode.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Game Show Network was originally a paradise for 24 hours of vintage game shows with NO repeats and NO infomercials.

Comedy Central once gave us new exposure to Steve Allen, Sid Caesar, Ernie Kovacs.

Disney Channel used to have "Vault Disney" for rare specials and programs from the 50s-70s.

All of them gone as part of the never-ending trend toward being "edgy."

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Let's not forget about Sci Fi Channel either. What was once a solid mixture of past and present Science-Fiction/Horror/Fantasy shows and movies has degenerated into a hub for Z-grade movies (The kind that MST3K would tear to shreds, and who once occupied the channel's airwaves none-the-less) and half baked "original" programming which limps along until it gets put out of it's misery and gets cancelled. Oh yeah and we changed the name to a moronic misspelling because the term "Sci-Fi" was too dorky and we couldn't copyright it. Yeesh...

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
Me-TV has commented they have received "beautiful new HD prints" of 'The Beverly Hillbillies'. I wonder what seasons they've gotten that are restored, as only seasons 1-4 are remastered (the Syndication Bible only lists seasons 2-4, however).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Me-TV has commented they have received "beautiful new HD prints" of 'The Beverly Hillbillies'. I wonder what seasons they've gotten that are restored, as only seasons 1-4 are remastered (the Syndication Bible only lists seasons 2-4, however).
And if they are being ran unedited?!?!?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Game Show Network was originally a paradise for 24 hours of vintage game shows with NO repeats and NO infomercials.

Comedy Central once gave us new exposure to Steve Allen, Sid Caesar, Ernie Kovacs.

Disney Channel used to have "Vault Disney" for rare specials and programs from the 50s-70s.

All of them gone as part of the never-ending trend toward being "edgy."

At least we still have Turner Classic Movies, which still airs ancient movies uncut and commercial free. Sure, the classics have crept up onto the 80s and 90s on occasion, but their bread and butter is still hours of black and white films.

It's just a shame there isn't a TCM for TV. Uncut classic shows at any time.

And to dovetail the conversations, that's why I don't really bother with Antenna TV or MeTV or any other classic TV digital subchannel. They're just going to air old syndication versions of the shows that are obviously hacked up or timesped, so they're kind of useless except as background noise. And even if they do have "beautiful new HD prints" of a show, well, they're going to be missing four minutes of footage. It's kind of like looking at the Mona Lisa, except her smile's been erased. Why bother?

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
At least we still have Turner Classic Movies, which still airs ancient movies uncut and commercial free. Sure, the classics have crept up onto the 80s and 90s on occasion, but their bread and butter is still hours of black and white films.

It's just a shame there isn't a TCM for TV. Uncut classic shows at any time.

And to dovetail the conversations, that's why I don't really bother with Antenna TV or MeTV or any other classic TV digital subchannel. They're just going to air old syndication versions of the shows that are obviously hacked up or timesped, so they're kind of useless except as background noise. And even if they do have "beautiful new HD prints" of a show, well, they're going to be missing four minutes of footage. It's kind of like looking at the Mona Lisa, except her smile's been erased. Why bother?
My guess is digital sub channels (and their companies) can't really purchase newer prints of some shows. One example: "The Millionaire". TV Land in the 2000's aired decent looking '80s prints of the show. All Me-TV has is 16mm prints. I guess it'll be the same with "My Three Sons", except for seasons 1 and 2. They'll probably air the same prints N@N had back in the '80s, anything to save money, I guess.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Discovery Channel is another one that went down the drain. Used to watch that frequently for the documentaries. GI Diary, Carriers, Discovery Wings, and quite a few others not to mention one-offs like Titanic expeditions. Now I'm not sure if they'd air something in the span of 12 months that would even count as a documentary.

A&E last I checked still had something in common with the mid 1990's when I was a regular viewer, and that was Law & Order. I never watched that show, but I know they aired it a lot back then (Much to my consternation since I liked the documentaries about WWII, Floating Palaces about trans-Atlantic ocean liners, etc.). I don't even think I saw Biography still around on there the last time I checked my channel guide out of curiosity, which was another long-time staple.

^Two words: New Management. It's killed dozens of formerly watchable channels.

I heard they got a new CEO that despite TV Land being at the zenith of its success and viewership when hired, decided that the network needed to be reinvented in order to attract a more youthful audience.

For some reason some corporate types have the impression that a dollar from a 18-35 year old is worth more than a dollar from an older individual.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I heard they got a new CEO that despite TV Land being at the zenith of its success and viewership when hired, decided that the network needed to be reinvented in order to attract a more youthful audience.

For some reason some corporate types have the impression that a dollar from a 18-35 year old is worth more than a dollar from an older individual.

No, it's the advertisers that think that, which is why the channels all fight for the same demographic.

Personally, I have been and still am in their target demographic, and wouldn't bother with TV Land or Nick at Nite since they ruined the channels. Of course, I fast forward through the commercials anyway, so I doubt they care about My opinion.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
No, it's the advertisers that think that, which is why the channels all fight for the same demographic.

I'm sure that there's plenty of misconception on the network side as well, which turns it into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's sort of like a Nintendo console for the younger folks around here. 3rd party publishers don't want to support it with big budget 3rd party releases since they don't believe that the average Nintendo customer wants to buy AAA 3rd party games like those that dominate on the competition.

Yet since there aren't significant selections of quality 3rd party releases due to this belief on the part of major publishers, Nintendo customers don't even have the choice to speak otherwise with their wallet. So the publishers end up correct by default, but what's the true reason?

Long-term misconception on what Nintendo customers want to see, or do Nintendo console buyers really only care about 1st party Nintendo releases?

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The Learning & Discovery Channels, A&E, and even the History Channel showing a lot of worthless crap.

Wrong about History Channel and what used to be History Channel2. They're ALL crap. All American Pickers, Ice Road Truckers, etc. all the time. Occasionally you'll find an old Modern Marvels, which actually contain information, but otherwise forget it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks