What's new

Reincarnation of Denver's Cooper theater (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Many of us who lived in Denver have many fond memories of the late, great Cooper theater: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/824/photos/37641

large.jpg

It was one of the premiere Cinerama houses. I saw the original Star Wars trilogy there, along with other movies such as Jaws, Alien, and Close Encounters. It's unforgivable that it was demolished. A movie theater in Casper Wyoming has built a reincarnation of it, and has memorabilia of the original: https://wyomovies.com/theatres/casper/studio-city-mesa-arq-west/

Evokes a lot of memories.

Last edited:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Wow that brings back some fond memories when I lived near Denver.

I'm pretty sure that was the theater we saw the first run of Raiders and Alien if I'm not mistaken. That was such an awesome theater.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Wow that brings back some fond memories when I lived near Denver.

I'm pretty sure that was the theater we saw the first run of Raiders and Alien if I'm not mistaken. That was such an awesome theater.
It was an awesome theater. You're correct about Alien showing there, but Raiders opened at the Century 21.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
It was an awesome theater. You're correct about Alien showing there, but Raiders opened at the Century 21.

Ahhh. Thanks for the clarification.

Either way, both of those first run showings made for an amazing movie going experience.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
I've only seen the great Cooper Theatre in pictures. But this new cinema looks to be a worthy (and beautiful) successor.

Studio City Mesa 1.jpg

The depth of the screen's curve looks relatively shallow, but that makes sense in this day and age. I bet half of movies today are in the scope format (way up from the mid eighties), but unfortunately nothing is in Cinerama.

Studio City Mesa 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks