What's new

Is It Safe to Store ...? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So I have a 40lb bag of smoking pellets for my new electric smoker. It came in a single plastic bag and is heavy and not easy to handle. I have them empty plastic pails that clean cat litter came in. Would it be safe to store the pellets in the pails. I would wash the pails first.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Assuming that you wash them thoroughly, I assume so. While you don't eat the pellets, they are considered "food grade" and their smoke will of course get into your food. Is the cat litter toxic?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I do this with my wood pellets for my Traeger grill. I just bought the 5 gallon buckets washed it with dishwashing soap and water.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Assuming that you wash them thoroughly, I assume so. While you don't eat the pellets, they are considered "food grade" and their smoke will of course get into your food. Is the cat litter toxic?

I do this with my wood pellets for my Traeger grill. I just bought the 5 gallon buckets washed it with dishwashing soap and water.
I do want to treat this as if I am storing food. I would wash the pails thoroughly. However, these pails weren't manufactured to store food, so I'm worried they might have materials in them that could leech into the pellets. The pellets will be stored for months this way.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I do want to treat this as if I am storing food. I would wash the pails thoroughly. However, these pails weren't manufactured to store food, so I'm worried they might have materials in them that could leech into the pellets. The pellets will be stored for months this way.

You could by these. Now that you suggested it I may switch I only use one bucket just to make it easier then moving around two 20 pound bags (I mix my pellets).

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-White...1495486524&sr=8-4&keywords=Food+Grade+Buckets

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You could by these. Now that you suggested it I may switch I only use one bucket just to make it easier then moving around two 20 pound bags (I mix my pellets).

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-White...1495486524&sr=8-4&keywords=Food+Grade+Buckets

Aren't those basically the same five gallon buckets they sell at places like Home Depot?
confused-smiley-013.gif

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Around here the grocery stores sell the 5 gallon food-grade buckets. The slang term is "Mormon buckets" since LDS members are supposed to keep a few months food supply at their houses. I have one for bread flour: a 25 lb bag of flour fits a 5 gallon bucket. I also use them for my backyard winery.

The cat litter buckets I use for washing the car etc.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Fascinating. I've learned something from this thread.

It's always nice to have one more thing to worry about.

I'd never heard of smoking pellets, but since "smoking gun" and "smoking ruins" have negative connotations, I decided to assume that smoking pellets were radioactive and should keep their distance from kitty litter residue.

I go now to my closet to search out that smoking jacket to dispose of safely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks