What's new

Left speaker channel keeps going out (1 Viewer)

actfray

Grip
Real Name
Craig Pearman
Here's my set-up:

Pioneer Andrew Jones FS-52 floor speakers (2)
Yamaha V502 receiver
Vizio E50 C-1 television
Samsung Blu-Ray player (not sure of model #; several years old)

I have speakers connected with 12-gauge wire and Rocketfish gold-plated banana plugs. All my connections are tight. I have an HDMI cable that runs from the Blu-Ray player to the back of the TV. RCA cables connect the TV to my receiver.

Last night I was watching a movie on Blu-Ray, and about ten minutes into it, the left channel went out. I switched speaker connections and the same thing happened. I'm sure the speakers are not the problem. This happens every time I turn my system on. Sometimes the left channel will return after moving the speaker wire around. I'm thinking that it may be a bad channel in the receiver, or my 12-gauge wire is faulty. This has been happening for several months and is very frustrating.

Is it worth have the receiver checked out? I like it as it has phono connections in the back for a turntable.

Thanks for any help!

Craig

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why are you using RCA cables from the receiver to the TV? What are they connecting, and why aren't you just using an HDMI?

I'm kind of at a loss for why one channel is dropping. You're sure there aren't any stray wires on the speaker cables? Even if there were, typically the entire system will shut down, not just one channel. Also, what do you mean when you say you "Switched speaker connections?" It could be an internal problem with the speaker. If I'm understanding what you describe, it doesn't point toward the receiver.

Swap the left and right speakers. If the problem moves to the right, it's that speaker that has the problem. If it stays on the left, it's something else.

actfray

Grip
Real Name
Craig Pearman
Why are you using RCA cables from the receiver to the TV? What are they connecting, and why aren't you just using an HDMI?

The RCA cables are connecting the audio out from the TV to the back of the receiver. There's no other way to connect the two. There's no HDMI input on the receiver.

Swap the left and right speakers. If the problem moves to the right, it's that speaker that has the problem. If it stays on the left, it's something else.

It's always the left channel regardless of which speaker I'm using.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK! I get it. Your receiver doesn't have any digital audio inputs? if it does, and you have the same output on the BR player, use it for audio instead of what you're doing now. Just try to find a way not to run the audio from the BR player, to the TV then back to the receiver. If you can run audio directly from the BR player to the receiver, do it. I suspect the problem is with the connection (it can be damaged or loose internally) of the left channel between the TV and the receiver. Swap that cable on both ends, so that the side that's currently carrying the right channel is carrying the left and so on. If the dropped channel switches sides, it's the cable. It not, it has to be either the receiver or TV. I'm guessing that's an old receiver, so that's the more likely problem.

Consider getting a new receiver

actfray

Grip
Real Name
Craig Pearman
Now the right channel has gone out and the left channel is working. I've done every imaginable troubleshooting tactic I can find. I've switched speaker wires, switched the RCA cable that runs from the TV to the receiver, etc. Nothing is consistent.

My BR player only has an HDMI output - no RCA output. So I either need to get a new receiver (which would be a shame; my current one is a nice unit), or buy a new BR player (but I doubt that's the source of the problem.

I'm moving next week, so I'll have to deal with this once I'm settled in my new place. In the meantime, if you can recommend a decent receiver that won't break my bank, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks