What's new

So you get asked this question all the time... (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was wondering if anybody here was like me and you get sort of bored with getting asked the same questions all the time. So, sort of as a defense mechanism against letting life get too repetitive for both you and the people asking the questions you throw out some interesting and somewhat unexpected answers.

I'll give a couple of examples...

I have a cat that lives with me...or I live with him, I am not really sure which because basically I did not go out and get this cat he just moved in and somehow he has worked it so I pay all the bills, do all the shopping, feed him and provide a comprehensive healthcare package for him for which he has no deductible and absolutely no cost to him. I also clean up after him and find myself purchasing toys and treats for him as if in the middle of the night he performs some strange hypnotic ritual where he programs me to do this. That's all really a story for another day.

However, when I go to the grocery store and I purchase food for him and I pick up something for myself as well...hey, a man has to eat too...they always ask me if I want the cat food in a separate bag, to which I mainly reply "No, that's OK, the cat never checks."

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Another question I get asked a lot is "Is that it?" when I am ordering food in particular. It can also happen when I pick up a couple of items at a store.

"Is that it?"

I mean that one happens again and again. So, I respond in several different ways depending on who is asking because well...it is a question that just seems so loaded...

"Is that it?"

"Why? Do people usually get more than this?"

or

"Is that it?"

"Well, could I also have your phone number because I get lonely sometimes at night?"

or

"Is that it?"

"I kind of feel like there is something missing here too."

You can go a lot of places with this one...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
At a lot of coffee places depending on what drink you order they will often ask...

"Would you like whipped cream on that?"

I have to admit the first time this happened it sort of surprised me and I just blurted out without thinking "No thanks, I have to drive."

Then when they asked me that again...

"Would you like whipped cream on that?"

I responded...

"Not on that but what else can I get it on?"

Oddly, this has generated some rather interesting responses.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
They always ask when I go to pick up a prescription...

"Do you have any questions for the pharmacist?"

So, first I asked...

"Does he like being a pharmacist?"

Then the next time I said...

"What is his favorite drug?"

The third time was...

"What's his favorite song?"

After a couple more of these they stopped asking me this question at the pharmacy. She just kind of slowly pushes the bag toward me and I wink at her.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not exactly the snappy answers to stupid questions that you're talking about but the main question I get is "Why are you wearing a hoodie in [fill in any very hot or very cold month]?" And that's a totally reasonable one.

The answer is because I like to wear the same basic thing all the time so I have a 'uniform' like the Ramones or Han Solo.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Not exactly the snappy answers to stupid questions that you're talking about but the main question I get is "Why are you wearing a hoodie in [fill in any very hot or very cold month]?" And that's a totally reasonable one.

The answer is because I like to wear the same basic thing all the time so I have a 'uniform' like the Ramones or Han Solo.

Well, you could just say when they ask that "Someone had to do it and it wasn't going to be you now was it."

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Then there is always the trip to the doctor's office where the woman at the desk will haughtily ask...

"Do you have your insurance card?"

To which I will reply indignant...

"I certainly do. Do you have yours?"

And she will huff and say...

"Well, can I see it?

And I say...

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours!"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There's one clerk at the local quick-stop who always asks me if I want a receipt. No, I dont need a receipt for the cash sale of my fountain soda and scratch tickets. It's unlikely that I would have a reason to return or exchange either.

And at almost any retail or grocery store: "Did you find everything you were looking for?"

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
And at almost any retail or grocery store: "Did you find everything you were looking for?"

Usually I answer that one with, "Nope. Forgot why I came, but I figured I had to buy something."

I think next time I'll try, "Nope. But the little bastard is hiding too well. I'll get 'em next time." <wink>.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Actually, yes, this question now seems to have become mandatory at grocery stores...I have not yet started giving an interesting response to that one yet but it will happen. Obviously this is something they have started telling all check out clerks to say and I am sure they get tired of asking it so I think a response to entertain them would be good.

I'm thinking of starting with...

"No, I did not find everything I was looking for but if I had what reason would I have to get out of bed tomorrow?"

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ya know, I thinking it's not quite safe for some of you guys to go out in public. Maybe give it a couple more years. Whaddya think? :blink:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Ya know, I thinking it's not quite safe for some of you guys to go out in public. Maybe give it a couple more years. Whaddya think? :blink:

Well, the funny thing is most, and I say most, people seem to like that I do not give standard responses to these everyday questions.

I find women primarily seem to love it. Men...well...it can be questionable what they might do. Sadly, the store I go to locally to buy most of my booze has a gentleman that works behind the counter that seems genuinely frightened of me. Not something I intended to cause. I've tried to calm him down but often that made matters worse. I made a minor breakthrough the other day when on my visit he was wearing a Tom Brady jersey and so I talked Brady and football with him and it was the first time he seemed not to want to run away when I walked up to the counter. He still looked at me with terror in his eyes but at least at the end of the football talk he cracked a minor smile.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Actually, yes, this question now seems to have become mandatory at grocery stores...

One of our local supermarket chains has made it policy to ask after checkout: "Do you need any help out to your car?"

This started right about the same time that I was recuperating from an incredibly long and serious health scare...but I still thought it was odd. Then, it became clear that they were simply asking everyone that question...no matter their age, apparent health, etc. Even the 24-year old male construction worker who came in for his 24-pack of suds on a Friday night.

Do they NOT understand that appropriate and helpful customer service is NOT one size fits all??

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Actually, yes, this question now seems to have become mandatory at grocery stores...

I'm not quite sure why they all ask this, as most of them don't have a solution ready when you say, "No, I didn't find everything." They just kind of give you a blank stare and half-smile like, "What do you mean, No?"

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sadly, the store I go to locally to buy most of my booze has a gentleman that works behind the counter that seems genuinely frightened of me. Not something I intended to cause. I've tried to calm him down but often that made matters worse. I made a minor breakthrough the other day when on my visit he was wearing a Tom Brady jersey and so I talked Brady and football with him and it was the first time he seemed not to want to run away when I walked up to the counter. He still looked at me with terror in his eyes but at least at the end of the football talk he cracked a minor smile.

I have the same reaction to your HTF posts!

:eek::eek::eek:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
One of our local supermarket chains has made it policy to ask after checkout: "Do you need any help out to your car?"

This started right about the same time that I was recuperating from an incredibly long and serious health scare...but I still thought it was odd. Then, it became clear that they were simply asking everyone that question...no matter their age, apparent health, etc. Even the 24-year old male construction worker who came in for his 24-pack of suds on a Friday night.

Do they NOT understand that appropriate and helpful customer service is NOT one size fits all??

Publix has always done this (or at least for as long as I can remember). I never take advantage, but the offer doesn't bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks