HTF News Editor
Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Scott Hart
Title: Top Gun: Maverick (2019)

Genre: War, Action

Director: Joseph Kosinski

Cast: Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly, Glen Powell, Manny Jacinto, Charles Parnell, Jay Ellis, Bashir Salahuddin, Danny Ramirez, Monica Barbaro, Lyliana Wray, Jean Louisa Kelly, Raymond Lee, Jake Picking, Greg Tarzan Davis, Kara Wang

Release: 2019-07-12

Plot: Set in the world of drone technology and fifth generation fighters, this sequel will explore the end of the era of dogfighting.

Scott Hart

Top Gun 2 Is 'Definitely Happening', Says Tom Cruise
Top-Gun.jpg

Now that Tom Cruise has confirmed that Top Gun 2 is happening, and will probably start filming next year, I look back at the 1986 film I loved. Personally, I loved the movie. I am obviously no film critic, but I did not realize that it got such horrible reviews! Let's hope that Top Gun 2 can live up to the Top Gun name.

He revealed the news while on a promotional tour for his upcoming film Mummy, telling Australian morning show Sunrise, “It is definitely happening.”

“It’s true. It’s true,” he said. “I’m going to start filming it probably in the next year. I know. It’s happening. It is definitely happening ... you’re the first people that I’ve said this to.”

“We’re trying to figure it out,” Cruise clarified in a subsequent appearance on the Graham Norton Show.

The sequel was hinted at again in April this year during an “Ask me anything” on Reddit, when Val Kilmer – who starred in the original film with Cruise and Kelly McGillis – was asked by a user whether he would be doing Top Gun 2. “Hell yes,” he replied, “and what a hoot it will be.”

Personally, I have high hopes for the film. I am excited they are bringing it back, and I am sure there are a lot of people that don't agree with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This was on the Hot Track until Tony Scott passed away. Glad to see it's on the after burner again. :D

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Maybe his brother Ridley can give it a go!? The Xenomorph's travel back in time and come face to face with Earth's best fighter pilot, Maverick in Top Gun: First Contact.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Is this really a good idea? Let's face it, the original film did not succeed because of it's story line. Top Gun was all about good looking young people and jets. Nothing wrong with either of these things [especially jets!!!] but there are already plenty of contemporary films serving this basic market so I don't see why an iconic franchise like Top Gun should return to the fray. Other franchises that have stood the test of time [Star Trek, Star Wars, etc] had enduring story lines to carry them from one generation to the next. On the other hand, there are the Police Academy and Fast and Furious franchises, so who really knows...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I loved the original film when I saw it in 1986.
I loved the action, and the romance between Cruise/McGillis. That ending is so iconic, and romantic. I love it. But I know Hollywood. The chances of Kelly Mcgillis is even given the opportunity to reprise her role is slim to none I think. If she is in it, and Maverick is still involved with her either married, or just together I will be shocked. Likely she will get a small mention like she moved on from him, or died, and that will be the end of it.

Another classic film will have its brilliance extinguished, and the happy ending shattered. Of course I would love to be wrong.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Top Gun is a single, stand-alone film, so it doesn't qualify as a franchise. IMO this sequel is yet another case of a Hollywood movie that simply doesn't need to be made.

I struggled with this fact but chose to use the word "franchise" due to the film's enduring popularity. Of course, in the end you are absolutely correct and I agree, it's better left as is.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So is Cruise really going to be staring in this, or is going to be about some new hotshot pilot and Cruise has a glorified supporing role, something like the equivalent of Skerritt's character from the original.

I loved the action, and the romance between Cruise/McGillis. That ending is so iconic, and romantic. I love it. But I know Hollywood. The chances of Kelly Mcgillis is even given the opportunity to reprise her role is slim to none I think. If she is in it, and Maverick is still involved with her either married, or just together I will be shocked. Likely she will get a small mention like she moved on from him, or died, and that will be the end of it.

I doubt it as well. Not to sound mean but let's just say that father time was a lot more gracious to Cruise than McGillis. And coupled with the fact that she's openly gay probably hurts the believability of her still being a love interest for Cruise. (Not saying that gay actors/actresses haven't been effective as love interests to the opposite sex. But I'm pretty sure you're not going to see Nathan Lane portrayed as a love interest for Scarlett Johanssen anytime soon)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
The sequel has a lot to live up to with choreography. Assuming they do live action plane sequences.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks