What's new

Looking for a new receiver and I have some concerns (1 Viewer)

Viny13ngine

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hello,

I am in the market for a new receiver but I am concerned because I have experienced and heard so much about HDMI board issues on so many of the popular brands. I myself had this issue on a Onkyo TX-NR616 and TX-NR636 but I have read about many people who have experienced it with Denon, Pioneer, Sony and Yamaha. So I am at a loss of what to buy. I have owned Onkyo for my entire life but I am very apprehensive about buying another one.

Can anyone suggest a brand or model that they have had or heard of not having many issues with. I am on my 3rd receiver in 5 years and am getting tired of swapping them out.

My budget is around $500
7.2 channel
4k is a plus but not necessary
at least 5 HDMI ports with video/audio pass-through
phono also a plus

I really appreciate any assistance!

Thanks!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I would go with a used/refurbished Marantz from Accessories4Less - probably your best bet.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I recently swapped from being a D&M product owner to Yamaha, pretty nice so far and their overlay menus are better IMO.

Denon has fallen into an issue where they are very reliable at backwards compatibility for high end products they sell, and they warranty for 2-3 years. They seem to have gotten into a mode of trying to sell you something every year, which should not be the case especially with the $2000 preamps I have had from them.

Yamaha is also the lowest brand for repair issues, so if you buy one it is very likely it will last a long time.

As far as AC4L, I have owned 3 refurb models from them (D&M products), and two failed. So I am not too confident in their Denon refurb program anymore.

Take a look at these guys, the 683 has a better version of Room Eq.

Yamaha RX-V683BL 7.2-Channel MusicCast AV Receiver with Bluetooth

Yamaha RX-V583BL 7.2-Channel 4K Ultra HD MusicCast AV Receiver

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I've become a big fan of Onkyo, and am currently loving my Onkyo TX-NR555. 6 HDMI inputs, 7.2 Channel, Dolby Atmos and dts:X, phono inputs, room EQ, Bluetooth, GoogleCast (audio only) and Airplay. Set me back $430 Cdn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks