What's new

1080p Weirdness (1 Viewer)

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I've been noticing something odd. When I have my PS3 set to 1080p, every so often, the signal gets lost sort of. What happens is that I'll start my PS3 with it set to 1080p. A few seconds or a few minutes into a game, or even just sitting on the menu, my tv will flick off, giving me the window that says stuff like weak signal or no signal...stuff like that. That's what it does most of the time. Other times, it will do the same thing....only the audio will continue while the picture still flicks off.

I have no idea why it does that. Is it the receiver ? I'm not so sure about that. The receiver isn't that old, only maybe 4 or 5 years old. An Onkyo. Just on a whim, I changed the PS3 to 720p. It's been a couple days and I haven't noticed the picture or picture AND audio flicking off.

Do I maybe need a different HDMI cable ? I don't know if I should, seeing as there aren't really any 1080p games. I've only got one. And frankly, I didn't even notice any difference between 1080p and 720p.

I haven't noticed any picture flicker on my blu-ray player....except sometimes when I have my air conditioner running. They're both on the same circuit and when the AC kicks in, the blu-ray player will sometimes lose picture.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Usually this indicates a flaky cable causing handshake issues. I'd try a new cable first, and then move on to troubleshooting other components in the chain.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
On the flicker issue, is your TV plugged directly into the house current, or to a power bar? Some power bars are better than others at reducing this kind of interference.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would suggest getting a good power bar with a surge protection rating, as these tend to isolate interference from other items on the same circuit.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
1) does it happen with the PS3 connected directly to the TV?
2) does it happen with a different cable from PS3 to TV, PS3 to AVR, AVR to TV?
3) does anything similar happen with other devices?

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
1. I don't have it connected to the tv. It's connected through my surround sound. If I had it connected straight to the tv, I would be stuck with using the speakers on the tv and sound wouldn't be able to be balanced for my hearing.

2. I don't know if it happens with another cable. I've only got the one.

3. the only time it happens with my blu-ray player is when I have my air conditioner going and it kicks on. Otherwise, the blu-ray player is fine.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
1. I don't have it connected to the tv. It's connected through my surround sound. If I had it connected straight to the tv, I would be stuck with using the speakers on the tv and sound wouldn't be able to be balanced for my hearing.

2. I don't know if it happens with another cable. I've only got the one.

3. the only time it happens with my blu-ray player is when I have my air conditioner going and it kicks on. Otherwise, the blu-ray player is fine.
You have two cables: one from PS3 to Receiver, and one from Receiver to TV. By connecting directly to the TV and trying both cables, you can figure out if it's the Receiver or a specific cable, or possibly the PS3 / TV combo.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
You have two cables: one from PS3 to Receiver, and one from Receiver to TV. By connecting directly to the TV and trying both cables, you can figure out if it's the Receiver or a specific cable, or possibly the PS3 / TV combo.
I'm thinking that it's one or more of the cables. I don't recall this happening with my blu-ray player. The blu-ray player is through the same receiver and same cord from the reciever to the tv. The only problem with my blu-ray player is the signal flicking off then back on when the air conditioner kicks on. They're on the same circuit....which is pretty old. Probably 50 years.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
That sounds like a cable that is forcing renegotiation of the HDMI handshake. That can happen with really long HDMI cable runs or cheap cables. I have a really long run to my projector and that happens for a brief instant while it switches from 30 frames to 24 frames or back.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
That sounds like a cable that is forcing renegotiation of the HDMI handshake. That can happen with really long HDMI cable runs or cheap cables. I have a really long run to my projector and that happens for a brief instant while it switches from 30 frames to 24 frames or back.
any solutions ? A specific kind of cable ? It's not that long of a cable. Probably a 5 or 6 foot cable from the ps3 to the receiver and a 5 or 6 foot cable from the reciever to the tv.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First, just fully unplug and plug in both ends of the cable. Sometimes that's all it is. I had the same problem with a Panasonic BR player, and it ended up being the player.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
First, just fully unplug and plug in both ends of the cable. Sometimes that's all it is. I had the same problem with a Panasonic BR player, and it ended up being the player.
So just unplug the ps3 to receiver cable and the receiver to tv cable and plug them back in ?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Then get a new cable and swap it in. HDMI cables are very prone to getting kinks that can cause this. Don't bend the cable too much if you can help it.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Well,
Yes. Refresh all the connections. It's always the first thing to do, and it costs nothing.
I unseated all HDMI connections and nothing really changed. The signal's flicked a few times, but each time, it was the video that flicked off then back on a second or two later, while the audio stayed playing.

I guess the next thing to try is a new cable from the PS3 to the receiver, as I don't recall this with the blu-ray player cord to the receiver.

What I'm thinking of doing is an optical digital cable to the receiver for audio and the HDMI straight into the tv. THAT might help, right ?

Do you think that any of this is because my tv is only 720p ? The manual said it can receive 1080p, and it can, but maybe it just can't handle them properly from the PS3 for some reason.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My suggestion was really a step in troubleshooting. Might as well confirm it before doing anything else. An important detail is that the video drops, but not the audio. If it was a problem between the PS3 and the receiver, both would drop. Video only dropping indicates a problem between the receiver and the TV.

You can run optical audio, but you'll lose any HD audio formats since optical can't carry them, plus considering the info above, I don't think it'll fix the problem. The next step would be to try a new hdmi cable from the receiver to the TV. It can also be a problem with the receiver, TV, or the PS3. hdmi handshake can be a real pain.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
My suggestion was really a step in troubleshooting. Might as well confirm it before doing anything else. An important detail is that the video drops, but not the audio. If it was a problem between the PS3 and the receiver, both would drop. Video only dropping indicates a problem between the receiver and the TV.

You can run optical audio, but you'll lose any HD audio formats since optical can't carry them, plus considering the info above, I don't think it'll fix the problem. The next step would be to try a new hdmi cable from the receiver to the TV. It can also be a problem with the receiver, TV, or the PS3. hdmi handshake can be a real pain.

Huh. Like I've said, I don't recall any of this mess with my blu-ray player. I guess each component is different, huh ? I suppose I could do some sort of HDMI splitter and have one connection to the receiver and one to the tv. Would that work ?

About the no HD audio stuff....are you sure ? I was looking for some cables on amazon and found this in a description....

Right now, I have a 3 input HDMI switch. One input is the PS3, one input is my NES Classic Edition, and the third is empty for the moment. This whole thing was happening before I got the switch, by the way. This all goes into the receiver.

about the no HD audio stuff...are you sure ? I was looking through some cables on amazon, and found this in one of the descriptions....
"HOME THEATER TOSLINK FIBER OPTIC CABLES: Professional digital audio cable works with multi-channel surround sound, Uncompressed PCM audio and compressed 5.1 to 7.1 surround sound systems including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD and LPCM. "

This is incorrect ?

Also, I put it down to 1080i. That won't do anything, will it ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks