What's new

Question about Atmos, DTS:X, and height channels (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I was reading marketing literature for the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3060 and saw something that seems intriguing, but possibly too good to be true.

It suggested this receiver can do processing to use "presence" speakers (height channels) in an upward-firing or downward-firing position (classic Atmos configurations), *or* with these speakers firing toward the listening position (Dolby ProLogic IIz configuration / pre-Atmos height channel configuration).

What happens if you play back Atmos or DTS:X content but with the height speakers near the ceiling, facing the listening position? I would imagine it would "work" but likely not sound the way intended for these formats, as they were designed with down-firing ceiling speakers in mind.

Has anyone done this?

Does the Yamaha (or any other Atmos/DTS:X capable receiver) have the ability to reprocess height audio so if you don't have a true Atmos/DTS:X configuration, you can still get reasonable height / environmental audio effects?

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I was reading marketing literature for the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3060 and saw something that seems intriguing, but possibly too good to be true.

It suggested this receiver can do processing to use "presence" speakers (height channels) in an upward-firing or downward-firing position (classic Atmos configurations), *or* with these speakers firing toward the listening position (Dolby ProLogic IIz configuration / pre-Atmos height channel configuration).

What happens if you play back Atmos or DTS:X content but with the height speakers near the ceiling, facing the listening position? I would imagine it would "work" but likely not sound the way intended for these formats, as they were designed with down-firing ceiling speakers in mind.

Has anyone done this?

Does the Yamaha (or any other Atmos/DTS:X capable receiver) have the ability to reprocess height audio so if you don't have a true Atmos/DTS:X configuration, you can still get reasonable height / environmental audio effects?

Yeah.... I did the pseudo-Atmos thing with my front presence speakers on my Yamaha Aventage RX-A 2060. Tried pointing them towards me and also towards the ceiling.... a little better but still ....Meh

Eventually bought the ELAC Dolby enabled Atmos speakers through Amazon (ELAC A4 Debut Series 4" Concentric Dolby Atmos Speakers by Andrew Jones (Pair)) for ~$230 and placed them on top of my Front L & R Paradigm tower speakers. Now that made a difference and I highly recommend these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks