What's new

Sony EV-C8U Video8 Player, needs oiling (1 Viewer)

iKokomo

Grip
Real Name
Carl Oak
I just got a Sony EV-C8U Video8 Player for less than $10 at a thrift store and it is in mostly working condition. The only problem is that the spindles turn, but they are sometimes jerky and make a slight grinding sound when they turn. The tape plays and the picture shows great on the screen, but sometimes it gets stuck, I have to eject the tape and put it back in to make it work again.

My question is, how / where do I oil the spindles / gears so I can get this neat thing working again? Thanks (PS. I have record player oil that I use that seems to work well!)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I know nothing about this specific player, but I highly recommend you don't use any oil! Generally the problem isn't lubrication, it's a matter of dirt, and a good cleaning of any gears/belts is the first thing. Isopropyl alcohol for that. Oil just attracts more dust/dirt. Check the gear teeth for any missing or rough parts you might be able to smooth out. And yes, cleaning gears is a real PITA compared to just adding oil...

[It's true that the spindle bearing on a TT may need some lube every so often if not sealed. But very little and very rarely, proper lube doesn't "evaporate" or go away, and just adding lube to "solve" a problem there probably means the bearing is dirty and/or damaged.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks