What's new

UV/Vudu doesn't universally support HD purchases on tablets and mobile (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I haven't tried accessing Vudu on those devices, I don't think HDX is available for all small screens but, on a related note I tried accessing itunes on my S7 Edge and Roku and can't even get a 480 feed....yes total bullshit!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have not had this particular problem with vudu as I am not using a tablet or smart phone to watch movies. But the one problem I have run into is unsycronized audio which is irritating!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
[email protected] post: 4492708 said:
I haven't tried accessing Vudu on those devices, I don't think HDX is available for all small screens but, on a related note I tried accessing itunes on my S7 Edge and Roku and can't even get a 480 feed....yes total bullshit!

HDX is available on like 25% of my movies right now. Afaik it was 100% the last time we used it

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am seeing something similar on my Android phone, but to be honest I can't remember if Vudu ever allowed me to watch in HDX on that device -- I don't think I've ever watched a film on it. I will check my Roku Ultra when I get a chance to see what it shows.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
On both iPhone and iPad. Wtf is up with this bullshit? Happening on dozens of random films and not on others....

WTF that's up with this bullshit is that Vudu only introduced HDX streaming on iOS devices 6 months ago with V 5.0, and it was never on all titles - a Vudu engineer said on their forums that they started with the most viewed titles and are are working their way down.

You_Doodle_2017-05-29T15_31_11Z.jpg

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
HDX playback was recently added as on option on some films on portable devices. Previously it was ALL SD.

Nothing to get riled up about. It's an additional feature that wasn't available before.

They never said all films would be available in HDX on those devices.

Jeez Sam.:angry:

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I charged up my old iPad2, and there was a Vudu update for it dated 5/8/17. I installed the update, and all the movies I checked were available in HDX.

My Android phone is running Kit Kat, which is probably why all the films are showing up available in SD-only.

Everything was fine on both my Roku Ultra and Sony UHD player -- everything showed up as HDX. I did not try the Chromecasting app on my Vizio 4K display, but assume it would be fine, too.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sams talking about just portable devices. He was just confused. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Guys,

Beforehand, I wasn't able to watch any HDX on my iPad, but now after the latest Vudu update on 05-08-17, I'm able to do so.

I just watched some of La La Land in HDX on my iPhone.:)

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's a .... feature?

That's even more ridiculous than any other answer.

This whole UV system remains a bullshit mishmash of shit that only sorta works.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Aaaaaand now we see what this thread is really about - this month's ripping of UV.

Disney and all other non-UV titles work the exact same way on Vudu.

Google Play, which is not affiliated with UV, tells you "the ability to play titles in HD depends on studio licensing agreements."

Amazon Video, which is not affiliated with UV, will let you stream some content in HD and only download in SD.

This has nothing to do with UV.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's a .... feature?

That's even more ridiculous than any other answer.

For you maybe Sam.

Works great for me and I love it. All the time.

Still don't get your neverending constant bashing and hate for UV Sam. Don't like it? Don't use it.

Sheesh.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
HDX is available on like 25% of my movies right now. Afaik it was 100% the last time we used it
You just weren't noticing before. The opposite is actually true. IOS devices have been gaining HDX playability in the Vudu app, not losing it. Not too long ago zero movies were available in HDX, and there was also a time when the IOS Vudu app wouldn't even indicate what the resolution was which may be why you assumed everything was HD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe a mod could change the thread title to reflect that this isn't a crisis situation? When I saw the headline, my first thought was that Vudu had taken away HDX copies of items people had purchased in HDX; upon reading the thread, that's clearly not the case and it seems much ado about nothing. Maybe a title change could prevent some other readers from having mini-heart attacks while browsing?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe a mod could change the thread title to reflect that this isn't a crisis situation? When I saw the headline, my first thought was that Vudu had taken away HDX copies of items people had purchased in HDX; upon reading the thread, that's clearly not the case and it seems much ado about nothing. Maybe a title change could prevent some other readers from having mini-heart attacks while browsing?
I think the wording of the title needs some clarification, but I'll defer to Sam first, since he's the OP of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks