What's new

Two weeks pain pill free and loving it! (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I have two ruptured discs and a third one setting up arthritis. Automatic pain pill prescription; between the back issues and some headache issues, I wound up on Tylenol 3 for a year or better. Two weeks ago, I got down to my last pain pill, and I decided it was time to kick them to the curb. Yeah, there's still some pain, but I can keep it controlled with Aleve or something similar. I feel better mentally these last two weeks than I've felt in some time.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Ron,

Hopefully congratulations is the right response. Sorry to hear about your back troubles - living in pain is certainly no fun. Here's hoping you find some comfort and enjoy the mental clarity.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have two ruptured discs and a third one setting up arthritis. Automatic pain pill prescription; between the back issues and some headache issues, I wound up on Tylenol 3 for a year or better. Two weeks ago, I got down to my last pain pill, and I decided it was time to kick them to the curb. Yeah, there's still some pain, but I can keep it controlled with Aleve or something similar. I feel better mentally these last two weeks than I've felt in some time.

Now let's see if it improves your posting clarity!

;) j/k Congratulations, Ron! These personal hurdles can be really big accomplishments. :D

Glad you are on the mend.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Tylenol 3s don't do much but they help. Wish I could take Aleve, supposedly the best OTC med for pain, but I'm allergic to it, tylenol based meds only.

Been off and on hydrocodone for ten years, finally finished in December after back surgery. Don't really want to start again, but they do help.

But once again, now back to my knee, 30 years of pain with that thing. Steroid injection and pain meds Friday for another steroid injection, eventually total knee replacement within the next year. I've been putting it off, but when you tear your meniscus and all they do is remove the torn parts (three separate operations about every ten years), eventually bone on bone, not pleasant.

Physically I'm about 40, but I limp and walk like I'm 95. :eek:

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Stan:

I'm not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV. But based on what you're saying...I'd say get it fixed. Allow the doctors to do what they do...and make you whole as best they can. That'd be my advice, knowing as little about you as I do.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stan:

I'm not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV. But based on what you're saying...I'd say get it fixed. Allow the doctors to do what they do...and make you whole as best they can. That'd be my advice, knowing as little about you as I do.
At this point there's nothing they can do but pain management. If it gets worse, then they will do something. Pain management, at least in their mind, is pumping me full of opiods and keep me coming back for more. I'm not going to lie, the pain pills make you "feel" good, but I also know they're addictive.

I'm using turmeric now when I cook, a natural pain reliever, and I try to spice up my food, another natural reliever. I'm generally walking a couple of miles per day, and I stay active.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Stan:

I know, I'm going to finally schedule the big operation, hopefully this year.

I've put it off because the surgeon would go in, clean up all the torn up pieces and I'd be good for another ten years. But after three sets of "ten years", there's nothing left. Just makes me nervous having "replacement parts" installed, like I'm a car or an airplane. "Need a new axle or a new set of wings?" :blush:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just think of yourself as the new Steve Austin!

hqdefault.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but these days, it's $6 million for an aspirin and a band-aid.
Pretty decent insurance and it's already been approved. Now it's up to me to just man up and do it.

I'm just slightly terrified. Neighbor had it done with awful results, including a ten inch Frankenstein scar down her leg. An older friend had a hip replaced, they put it in at the wrong angle and he suffered for years. I could take pain meds for the rest of my life or just get it fixed.

Steroid injection on Friday, and I'll talk to the doctor about things, but not much left to do other than get a new knee. :cool:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well once again, back on pain meds. Yuck...

Helping a neighbor today, slipped and fell off a ladder. Hit my back which is just scraped and bruised. Also apparently landed on my left heel. X-rays don't show a break, but I go in for better imaging next week.|

Pain is incredible. Can't walk, they had to wheel me out to my car so I could drive home. Prescription for pain meds but it's literally to painful to walk to my car and drive to the pharmacy to get them. I'll try tomorrow.

Naturally the left leg, matches up with the knee replacement and steroid injections, all on the left. I must have done something really bad as a child to be punished this way. :blush:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well the broken ribs are healing up nicely, no "crunchy" noises any longer.

The ankle, not so much. They're saying there's no "displacement", so the big break is really a big crack, still attached to the rest of the bone. But if it doesn't heal soon, surgery with screws, pins, etc.

If I'm not careful, it will become "displaced" and separate (if that's the right term). The pain is amazing, I'm supposed to stay off my foot for a month. That's awfully hard to do. Why couldn't this have been an arm or something not weight bearing.

Pain meds help, not much, but bearable. Can't put any weight on it, hurts to be below heart level, so always elevated as I continue my doctor ordered "couch potato" mode, catching up on old DVR stuff I haven't watched.

Probably way to much personal info, but we're a fairly small group and I like all of you.

Plenty of groceries and friends shopping for me. Tried out this pre-prepped meal service called HelloFresh. Got the first delivery Monday, a little more effort than I expected, but all prepped, cut, measured, etc. Really pretty decent and not to much work to prepare meals. The package I chose was for two people, but not a big eater so I'll get three dinners out of each one.

They do wine delivery also, should go great with the pain meds :rolling-smiley:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Back to the orthopedic surgeon Wednesday. (Calf was turning purple, the bruising is moving, toes were numb, turns out it's because I've been icing and keeping the foot elevated, so that's where the blood flow goes, just very scary).

Anyhow, new x-rays, big crack in the heel, but not "displaced". Just be patient, it will heal, and here's another batch of pain meds, good luck. Go back in a month for a follow-up, but thankfully no surgery.

Back to Costco for the refill (they're so much cheaper than Walgreen's or other places, it's worth the effort, less than 1/3 the price of others).

Guess I'm the opposite of this thread title, but I'm getting there, give me a few weeks. :rolleyes:

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I'd forgotten all about this one. I think today is 8 weeks pain pill free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks