What's new

Coach: complete series coming from Mill Creek (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Mill Creek/Universal relationship keeps delivering

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Coach-The-Complete-Series/23394

Seasons 5-9 are new to DVD, but since this is Mill Creek, you may want to hang onto the first 4 seasons from Uni if you have them, because there will undoubtedly be a lot of episodes crammed onto the new discs.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Great news for fans of this show, however I am shocked that Mill Creek is actually releasing a complete series set!? I have been waiting for word on further releases of this series from Mill Creek as I wanted to see if they had only acquired the rights to the seasons Universal released (s1-4) or if they have the rights to the entire run- now I have my answer!

I hope this release signals a change in Mill Creek's release strategy and they look at acquiring the rights to more stalled series and finishing them off instead of just doing re-releases of stuff that has already been released before. If they have the budget to release a series with 5 unreleased seasons then surely they could acquire the rights to some of these stalled Sony shows:

Benson
Fantasy Island
The Flying Nun
My Two Dads
One Day at a Time
Parker Lewis Can't Lose
Silver Spoons
Who's the Boss?

Also, for Universal you have Amen & Major Dad which have never had any releases.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Great news. Another title that got removed by Netflix when I was part way through it.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I am excited about this and will still keep my older DVDs. My expectations for Mill Creek DVDs is low unfortunately, but I love the show. Also, sadly, you can tell by the picture of the set that it will be the crappy packaging. Ugh.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Also, sadly, you can tell by the picture of the set that it will be the crappy packaging. Ugh.

Which is why I would suggest that you have white CD sleeves on hand (as many as needed for the number of discs in the release), and when you receive your copy of this release, then carefully extract the discs from the Mill Creek cardboard sleeves, place them in the white CD sleeves, stack them up, and place them where the Mill Creek sleeves were. That way, you don't have to always fumble with Mill Creek's substandard packaging.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
In this case, I don't care about the amount of episodes per disc or the crappy Mill Creek packaging. I've been waiting patiently for a complete series of Coach and I can't wait until September!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Glad to see this one finally reach the finish line.

With Newhart and this one finally both coming to a close, not much left for 80's and 90's tv that I care to see wrapped up. I think there's only Major Dad left that I'd personally want, and I don't hold out much hope there.

Despite being a successful four season sitcom that cracked the top 10 in ratings in its 3rd season, it hasn't seen much syndication and has never even had season 1 be released on the format to test the waters.

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Out of curiosity, is this a show that has a chance of being released on blu-ray by Mill Creek (as in, was it originally done on film or videotape)?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'd get this while i can as it was a pain just for the long wait to see this all come out in its entirety onto DVD. You can always upgrade to BD format when that time does occur.
That assumes I have the budget to do that (I don't). All I wanted to know was whether the show was done on film (and has a chance of coming out on blu through Mill Creek), or whether videotape was used (and I should therefore give up on blu-ray and go with the dvd set).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Coach was shot on film (it's spoken by Shelly Fabares as a voice over on the open segments: "Coach is shot on film before a studio audience."). It's possible that it was posted on video tape, as that was very common in those years, but I don't know for sure. It would have to have been shot and edited on film to be a viable BR candidate. Were it edited on video tape it'd have to be transferred from film and edited again, which is not too likely for that property. FWIW I don't recall seeing any video tape artifacts on the original S1/S2 releases.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Coach was shot on film (it's spoken by Shelly Fabares as a voice over on the open segments: "Coach is shot on film before a studio audience.").

Cheers on NBC was the same, except that the wording was, "Cheers is filmed before a live studio audience." Not only that, but different cast members took turns saying it-- Rhea Perlman, Shelley Long, John Ratzenberger, and George Wendt, from what I've heard in scanning the second season's worth (1983-84) (I don't know about it, but I think that Ted Danson might have done one during the run).

Of course, not all episodes had it; some just started with the audio from the first scene.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Anyone buy this? This review off Amazon sounds disappointing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B072RC11KH

I'm still going to grab it since I enjoy this series and don't own any of it, but I'm sad that a better job wasn't done here.

Especially for seasons 5 & 6, I wish they were unedited (I've never actually seen an episode from seasons 7/8 when the setting of the show changed, but I've been told to not expect a whole lot when I do, so I'm guessing that's not a huge loss).

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Edited episodes?

Well, fu*k that noise. No sale.

I'm glad I waited for reviews. Mill Creek's fairly good Blu work from Universal had lulled me into a false sense of security over their releases. Now I shall remember to remain ever vigilant and always wait for someone to tell me how crappy these bargain basement releases from companies like Mill Creek and VEI are before purchasing.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'll just stick with the 4 releases from Universal. I'm not a fan of sports at all or sports themed TV shows in general and mainly watch that one for the lovely Shelley Fabres and the antics of Jerry VanDyke... FWIW I did watch the entire series during the original run. That said, I'd likely purchase this one at $18 or less... (making my post-tax total ~$20 or less).

Leo, based on what I remember, you're not missing much having never seen episodes from S7 & S8. It really went downhill during those two. I recall it turning into pretty much a one-note type show during those seasons (not that I found it much better than that for the first 6) with lots of scripts that felt like repeats from earlier seasons.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Once the setting of the show moved to Orlando and Hayden got the job as the new coach of the Breakers, the show truly went downhill, but still a great show nevertheless.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Anyone buy this? This review off Amazon sounds disappointing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B072RC11KH

I'm still going to grab it since I enjoy this series and don't own any of it, but I'm sad that a better job wasn't done here.

Especially for seasons 5 & 6, I wish they were unedited (I've never actually seen an episode from seasons 7/8 when the setting of the show changed, but I've been told to not expect a whole lot when I do, so I'm guessing that's not a huge loss).
I would've thought a show of that recent vintage would be free from butchering. Sad!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.