What's new

Friday Night Lights coming to Blu (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a fan of the show, but I recall a lot of uproar on the boards when the DVDs of the later seasons turned out to be the network versions and not the longer DirecTV ones. I'm sure there may be similar shouting/people saying they won't buy if this is the case once again.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I've been waiting for the unedited episodes, but...Run of the Mill Creek...

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

You think Universal would do any better?

They're the ones who released the edited DVD versions in the first place.

On top of that, MC is the label that has restored music and missing footage to more than a few shows... Married With Children, Roseanne, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Quantum Leap...

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

On top of that, MC is the label that has restored music and missing footage to more than a few shows... Married With Children, Roseanne, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Quantum Leap...

I guess what he was saying is that Mill Creek can be unpredictable. If they are well-aware of the fan outcry over the first releases, then maybe they tried to get hold of different masters. If not, they probably just took whatever Universal gave them, which would likely be the exact same ones from the first release.

However, since there's a blu-ray this time, that might bode well, because they'll have to source an HD master this time, and that might well be from a different source as the originals.

My fingers are crossed for you.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

But they also put out That 70s Show on blu with many, MANY scenes not in high def. They shouldn't have bothered.

cityscope

Auditioning
Real Name
David
On the plus side, I got this in the mail today, and right out of the box noticed that on every single one of the 5 seasons it says "Subtitles: English". (I can only hope that's true, and not an accidental misprint - will pop one episode in tonight to check.)
But regardless of any questions about music replacements (one thread on another forum implies there might not be all that many), I did think it was worth mentioning, since after Rockford Files, Miami Vice, Quantum Leap etc., I do believe subtitles are new for these Mill Creek TV Blu-ray sets.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the plus side, I got this in the mail today, and right out of the box noticed that on every single one of the 5 seasons it says "Subtitles: English". (I can only hope that's true, and not an accidental misprint - will pop one episode in tonight to check.)
But regardless of any questions about music replacements (one thread on another forum implies there might not be all that many), I did think it was worth mentioning, since after Rockford Files, Miami Vice, Quantum Leap etc., I do believe subtitles are new for these Mill Creek TV Blu-ray sets.

It's a relatively new show and the original sets all had subs. Maybe that's why FNL has them while older shows didn't.

MattHR

Screenwriter

I'm not a big fan of Mill Creek, but I'm sure they had no say in which versions of the episodes they were allowed to release. After FNL's second season, it looked like it was going to be canceled before DirectTV stepped in with a deal to to co-finance the continuation of the show. That deal gave them exclusive first-showings of new (extended) episodes before NBC's airing of the standard-length episodes. I've never seen comparisons between the DTV and NBC versions, so I can't comment on whether the extended versions are any better, or simply "padded with filler" in order to promote their exclusivity on DTV. I'd imagine the standard-length NBC versions would be considered the "official" versions, as those would be the versions seen by the majority of viewers and comply with the format required for syndication. My main gripe about the Universal/Mill Creek situation in general is that Universal doesn't allow them (or makes it cost-prohibitive) to include the bonus material available on previous DVD editions.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I have decided to try something new (in terms of binging a new series). So we started tonight with the first two episodes of FNL. We both very much enjoyed Parenthood (during its run).

So we are not sure about any of the issues mentioned above about edited episodes or music replacements.

But we like what we see so far (even though Peg doesn't care a whit about football). We are both hoping that there are story arcs which take place outside the direct realm of the football universe (realizing that, yes, we know and understand the title of the show!).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We are both hoping that there are story arcs which take place outside the direct realm of the football universe

There are. It's not a show about football games. It's a show about these characters' lives which happens to include football.

And for the record, I intensely dislike sports of all kinds. While I understand that others like them, I find them boring. But I love this show.

I bought the series on DVD during its original run when Universal, not Mill Creek, was the distributor. I am not aware of any music replacements on those discs.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So far, the shows look/sound pretty darn good in HD.

It looked good in HD on television as well. But it looks good upscaled on my Blu-ray player, and the DVDs include extras which didn't make the transition to Mill Creek. So I haven't really felt a huge need to upgrade when I'd actually get less on the Blu-ray.

If, like you, I never had the Universal DVDs, then I probably would have done the same thing you did and gone directly for the Blu-rays instead. But I do have the original releases and have since the street date of each. So that informs my choice being different than yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks