What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Beauty and the Beast -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is an easy one.

Disney's live action Beauty and the Beast is a magnificent entertainment.

Watching the film, and when you've time, venturing into the extras, gives you the feeling that everyone involved loved being a part of this project.

Based upon the 18th century fairy tale by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve, this 2017 production is a gorgeously produced affair.

Quite different from the Cocteau take on the tale, produced in 1946, this one is all-singing and all-dancing, with Emma Watson, Dan Stevens, and Luke Evans in the leads, presumably doing their own singing -- a novel approach. And in color.

The new Blu-ray, taken from the 2k data files is perfect in every regard, with audio in DTS-HD MA, filling your home theater with its 7.1 mix.

Perfect entertainment, and a gloriously perfect Blu-ray release.

As to what the future may hold, rumor has it that this live action film, which has been wonderfully combined with layers of digital work, may graduate to both an animated feature as well as a Broadway musical.

Keep in mind that you heard that here first!

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Too bad I have to wait for my Amazon.uk 3D release to arrive. Too bad it's not released until next month.

Yeah, ditto. Disney will probably pull a JUNGLE BOOK on the domestic 3D release of this and give it to us late fall. It was, after all, a box office hit, and that now seems to be the deciding factor for 3D Blu-ray release. I ain't waitin'. Ordered from UK (and it's cheap, and all-region!).

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Thank you, Mr. Harris, for your glowing review of "Beauty." I saw this in the theater TWICE, once in 3D and once with my granddaughter In 2D. We really loved the film. The wonderful actors that voice the various objects in the Beast's castle are terrific- Ewan Mcgregor, Ian McKellen, Emma Thompson, Audra McDonald etc. are truly marvelous. Bought the Blu-Ray the fist day it came out. You really don't need it in 3D.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I went to Amazon UK and this was sold by a private seller and it said no delivery to the US. I googled and found a site called "The Hut" and their pre-order price is $23. I will order from them!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got the Indian Steelbook 3D release a couple weeks ago (about $30 off Ebay) and a couple people have picked up the Australian 3D already. Really well done 3D and film in general

If I'm not mistaken "The Hut" is parent company of Zavvi. Preorder shipped price is $24USD via Zavvi -- I was hoping their usual 10% code would work, but either this item isn't elgible or the code doesn't work for preorders. 23-24 seems to be the going price everywhere for the UK title.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Yes, I do. I have invested a kazillion dollars in 3D equipment and software. Please speak for yourself, sir.
Glad you have a "kazillion" dollars to spend on this equipment. For me ( and others I know), I am perfectly happy with 2D versions. I can use the money for more important things.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Glad you have a "kazillion" dollars to spend on this equipment. For me ( and others I know), I am perfectly happy with 2D versions. I can use the money for more important things.

Obviously, there are people who appreciate 3D more than others, and for some it's a need.

I fall in the moderate camp.

While I'm fully set up for the process, and find some 3D to be quite eventful, I'll only go out of my way for something special.

Rick of Maine has the passion, and I applaud that.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I can't stand 3D myself. It's a gimmick that almost never contributes anything of importance to a film other than ducking when something is thrown at you and a bad movie in 3D movie doesn't make it any better. That being said Beauty And The Beast is the only 3D film I've seen where the 3D isn't used as a gimmick but only adds to the other worldly fairy tale quality of the film. In 3D, it was breathtaking.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

You seem to be using some of your first few posts as a member here to be a bit on the adversarial side. When you said "You don't need [3D]," you are overlooking the fact that many of us here at HTF did invest a fair amount of money on plasma or LCD 3D sets and perhaps thousands on software, glasses, players, etc. If, when you say "You" you actually mean "I," please just say so.

There are more important things than 3D to me, too, such as friends and family and dog and good health. But insofar as my extensive hobby goes, I have, as Mr. Harris says, "the passion" for 3D home viewing, and want to help keep it alive. Yes, it is also an expensive hobby, but you seem to have practically taken me literally when I said I had spent "a kazillion" dollars on it.

In any case, welcome to the forum, and in the future, please go a bit smoother with the ebb and flow of forum conversation and try not to be provocative. Many thanks. :)

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
My mistake. I misread this item CAN be delivered to the US not CAN'T. I've never seen that wording on the site so I misread it!

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Obviously, there are people who appreciate 3D more than others, and for some it's a need.

While I'm fully set up for the process, and find some 3D to be quite eventful, I'll only go out of my way for something special.

This comes with a 2D version anyway!!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Sometimes I think 3D has invoked more passion on both sides than DIVX, just kidding. When I read that a person is willing to like 3D when it's special, I value that opinion much more than someone who never sees value in 3D.

BTW, how did you like the 3D in Jungle Book. My wife think it's among the best we've seen.

I can't stand 3D myself. It's a gimmick that almost never contributes anything of importance to a film other than ducking when something is thrown at you and a bad movie in 3D movie doesn't make it any better. That being said Beauty And The Beast is the only 3D film I've seen where the 3D isn't used as a gimmick but only adds to the other worldly fairy tale quality of the film. In 3D, it was breathtaking.
Here is an opinion suffering from bi-polar. ;) Note my comment about Jungle Book above. No gimmicky there.

However, I'll go on to state that I like it when 3D is in-your-face. Being startled by a visual effect is not a gimmick for me. If that's the case there's a lot of gimmicks in 2D also.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sometimes I think 3D has invoked more passion on both sides than DIVX, just kidding. When I read that a person is willing to like 3D when it's special, I value that opinion much more than someone who never sees value in 3D.

BTW, how did you like the 3D in Jungle Book. My wife think it's among the best we've seen.

While I thought the 3D was fine, I didn't like the film. I found it to be without soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks