What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dawn of the Planet of the Apes -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Matt Reeves' Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, is a terrific piece of cinema entertainment, beautifully combining live action with digital characters.

The film was captured digitally, and finished as a 2k DI. The resultant 4k UHD offering takes advantage of every pixel, adding a pleasant layer of HDR, in the process.

While I can suggest it as perfect home entertainment for those who have not yet added the ability to use height channels -- the film was released in Dolby Atmos -- I'm unable to do so, for those who have.

I saw this film at the Academy, and I believe it was the first run there with their new Atmos system.

The results were extraordinary, and sonically breathtaking as the original recording and mix are superb, especially with the use those height channels.

The point should be made, that height is a part of the design of this film, as its aspect ratio is 1.85, as opposed to scope for Rise.

As such, it's a bit of a slap in the fact to those who have stepped up to the plate, adding new speakers and updated processors and amps to their home theater systems, to de-include it.

Had it been a part of the release, Dawn would have been a perfect presentation.

Image - 5

Audio for those without height channels - 5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Audio for those with height channels - Fail (DTS-HD MA.7.1)

I'm unable to recommend this superb film, without Dolby Atmos.

RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Are Fox simply too cheap to remix when there is no BD Atmos or DTS:X already or what is their problem?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is always the possibility that it's a simple error.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Get ready for the inevitable double-dip in a few years with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.
Yeah, but I won't buy it again. Despite RAH's non-recommendation I bought this release from Best Buy for $19.99 plus $7.50 movie cash for the upcoming sequel coming out this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks