What's new

Where the Boys Are (1960)- coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
FB_IMG_1498169524076.jpg
WHERE THE BOYS ARE (1960) (BD)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
Run Time 99:00
Subtitles English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.35:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
BD 50

Special Features:
Theatrical Trailer (HD); Commentary by Paula Prentiss, Connie Francis and Paula Prentiss in Where the Boys Are: A Retrospective; Premiere Newsreel

Four coeds from snowbound Penmore U. know that the only place to be during Spring Break is Where the Boys Are. The rites (and wrongs) of the spring migration of thousands of college students to sunny Fort Lauderdale are celebrated in an era-defining film that combines a cast of 1960s up-and-comers with youthful hijinks and a cautionary will-she-or-won’t-she storyline of sex and romance. Among the girls seeking the perfect tan and man are Dolores Hart, Yvette Mimieux, Paula Prentiss and Connie Francis (who also performs the hit title tune and the zippy “Turn on the Sunshine”). Among the guys: George Hamilton, Jim Hutton and Frank Gorshin. So many chances for love. So little time!

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Thanks Alex, that's welcome news.

My better half and I had held back buying this and Follow the Boys on DVD, hoping for a Blu someday.

Wonderful Connie Francis - what a voice!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Lou beat me to it! Connie Francis on blu ray is way overdue! I'm realistic enough to know there's not a market for her other 3 films on blu ray but I'd snap them up in a minute!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Let me just say YEA! I saw this at Radio City, and I've been waiting for the Blu for such a long time. Also, let's not forget Yvette Mimieux!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Whoa. I was just chatting with one of its stars this evening. (Hint: next door to an Abbey.) How perfect is that?

And though the film itself wasn't the reason for the avatar...I shall wear it now with even more pride.

Fantastic!!!

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Not a great film, but then, how many films are? The commentary by Francis and Prentiss alone is worth the price of admission for me. Cool!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
For you, then...OPENING DAY!!

View attachment 38843
Thanks Will, for that blast from the past! Funny, but I don't remember the stage show at all. In fact, that goes for most of the films I saw at Radio City, except for BULLITT, where the Rockettes all drew glow in the dark revolvers from pastel-colored shoulder holsters. That's not something you'd forget!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This image is from ebay, but I found a beautiful copy of this about ten years ago in a street fair, which occupies a place of prominence in my apartment.

wheretheboys-l1600.jpg

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Whoa. I was just chatting with one of its stars this evening. (Hint: next door to an Abbey.) How perfect is that?

And though the film itself wasn't the reason for the avatar...I shall wear it now with even more pride.

Fantastic!!!

Delores Hart. Beautiful woman and fine actress.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Delores Hart. Beautiful woman and fine actress.

. . . and I'm still hoping that after that abominable pan-and-scan DVD-R, Fox will put out a proper 'scope version of Lisa/The Inspector on Blu-ray disc.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
. . . and I'm still hoping that after that abominable pan-and-scan DVD-R, Fox will put out a proper 'scope version of Lisa/The Inspector on Blu-ray disc.

Actually, the MOD is not pan and scan! At least, my copy isn't. It is 4x3 letterbox wide screen. Of course, it would be wonderful to see a blu ray or at least an anamorphic DVD of Lisa but I just wanted to set the record straight :)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm getting it. I love all these movies from about 1957 to 1964 where they explore what the right way to go about relationships and sexuality is. You can feel the built-up aspirations that the WWII generation had for its baby boomers, and when you know the Sexual Revolution is happening, the 60's and Me Generation just around the corner, these movies are somehow pleasing to watch. Some of them are more about the loosening of sexual morays, and some of them are more about pulling back on the reins.

What ones do you figure as in this general category?

Peyton Place (1957)
The Best of Everything (1959)
Where the Boys Are (1960)
Sunday in New York (1963)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

Peyton Place (1957)

Great list, Race! I haven't seen Sunday in New York in YEARS, but you can't forget the "Big Daddy" of them all A SUMMER PLACE (1959)

Like most of the movies you list in that sub-genre, it's so intent on having it "both ways" that it never decides whose side it's on. It's truly insane in how far it goes to get us to "root" for the horny teens only to turn it into a "See, we TOLD you so!' cautionary tale at the 11th hour (thanks, production code.)

I will always be thankful it gave us my favorite GIF of all time.

I like to call it "Merry Christmas, you DIRTY tramp!!"
giphy.gif

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Great list, Race! I haven't seen Sunday in New York in YEARS, but you can't forget the "Big Daddy" of them all A SUMMER PLACE (1959)

Like most of the movies you list in that sub-genre, it's so intent on having it "both ways" that it never decides whose side it's on. It's truly insane in how far it goes to get us to "root" for the horny teens only to turn it into a "See, we TOLD you so!' cautionary tale at the 11th hour (thanks, production code.)

I will always be thankful it gave us my favorite GIF of all time.

I like to call it "Merry Christmas, you DIRTY tramp!!"
giphy.gif
Constance Ford was some kind of shrew in that film.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm getting it. I love all these movies from about 1957 to 1964 where they explore what the right way to go about relationships and sexuality is. You can feel the built-up aspirations that the WWII generation had for its baby boomers, and when you know the Sexual Revolution is happening, the 60's and Me Generation just around the corner, these movies are somehow pleasing to watch. Some of them are more about the loosening of sexual morays, and some of them are more about pulling back on the reins.

Peyton Place (1957)

+! on A Summer Place
AND Palm Springs Weekend

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Actually, the MOD is not pan and scan! At least, my copy isn't. It is 4x3 letterbox wide screen. Of course, it would be wonderful to see a blu ray or at least an anamorphic DVD of Lisa but I just wanted to set the record straight :)

Thanks for the correction. I'm sure I read somewhere it was pan-and-scan. I might in a weak moment have bought a non-anamorphic widescreen disc. In those days I had an Oppo DVD player that could zoom a disc without sacrificing picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks