What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Life -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Life, directed by Daniel Espinosa, has been released by Columbia (Sony), and it's a magnificent 4k UHD / HDR presentation, boasting incredible sets and superb sound.

There are a couple of problems. First, as I presume most are aware, it's a re-tread of a film called Alien, and all those that came thereafter.

Second, the script has created NASA astronauts, and their international brethren, as rather dumb.

And that goes against everything that we know.

Astronauts and Velma, ain't dumb.

That said, it's a pleasant 104 minute ride, taken to another level by great imagery. It was photographed large format digital, and audio is meticulously placed Dolby Atmos.

Effects are superb.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
*SOME SPOILERS*
I can't dispute that it's a re-tread of ALIEN. But I've seen it twice (first time in theater) and I find it a solid sci-fi/horror thriller. Technically very well-done, excitingly directed, mostly well-acted. A lot of reviews object to 'dumb' behavior by the characters, but I never see anyone suggest what they should have done. The first victim does make some unwise decisions, then his close friend rushes to help, and chaos ensues. I found it fairly realistic...after all, something has to go wrong or there's no drama. Just my 2-cents.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I saw this on blu-ray recently. It is a nice looking film. Yes, it owes a big debt to Alien. I would call it a better film than Prometheus with scientists that at least attempt to act and speak like scientists. Yes, they make some bad decisions but in general not as goofy as in other films. The focus of the picture is the whole "killer alien is loose on the space station holy crap are we in trouble" deal. Of course the alien itself is not as interesting as Giger's creature but let's face it that would be tough to top. If you are going to watch a killer alien film I would watch Alien but if you want something like that but found Prometheus or Covenant fairly lousy...this film will do just fine.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Alien + Gravity - Prometheus

Well, I think Alien and Gravity are good films. Life is basically just an Alien knock-off that seems like it is not trying to be anything but that. This is the problem. Once Life gets rolling you know exactly where it is headed. So, the only real interest it can work up is how it will execute the plot points we see coming and the standard set pieces it uses.

I don't see much Gravity in this film really...other than Jake Gyllenhaal's character holding some record for days on the space station as Clooney's character has some sort of space walk record in Gravity.

Where I would watch Alien and Gravity again films like Life and Prometheus just don't have much if any value in terms of additional viewing.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Life was "OK" IMHO, one criticism was that I saw the ending coming a mile away, as I expect many of us did.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Watched this last night on regular BD and quite enjoyed it. Rather than being a simple retread of Alien, there is a lot of cross-pollination involved. Alien is definitely there, but so are Psycho, The Abyss, Leviathan [which was an Alien retread underwater], and others I'm sure I've missed.

What I found interesting, which didn't go unnoticed by critics, is that everyone involved is playing their role to the hilt. Not scenery chewing, but investing in their role in a way that gives dramatic heft to their portrayals. I won't mention the "twist" ending, which I saw coming a mile away and diminished some of the goodwill the movie had built up to that point, but it's still a better than average action/horror/sci-fi flick.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was great. Can't wait to rewatch with the wife. Of course it had similarities to Alien but in a good way and in the end charts it's own path.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Saw this film in the theater. When you look into the pot of "incredibly stupid things that characters do in horror/sci-fi movies," "Life" will be at the top of the list. Not because of one stupid behavior, but because of multiple idiot behaviors by numerous characters. Just an awful script.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One thing I liked from the first part of the movie, which seemed to get dropped as the movie progressed, was the idea that each of this organism's cells were multipurpose. Every cell could hear and see and react, so there was no need for it to have a "head" or "face". This was really exciting design-wise but as the film progressed, the design seemed to revert to something more typical that seemed to ignore that earlier idea.

With movies like these, I often come away thinking I must be a horrible person, because I'd absolutely be willing to follow procedure and keep the door locked, sacrificing one crew member to save everyone else, as were the rules for the mission. I'd feel bad that the person died but I'd also take solace in knowing I was doing the right thing.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
With movies like these, I often come away thinking I must be a horrible person, because I'd absolutely be willing to follow procedure and keep the door locked, sacrificing one crew member to save everyone else, as were the rules for the mission. I'd feel bad that the person died but I'd also take solace in knowing I was doing the right thing.
Yes, you're a horrible person. As if that wasn't bad enough, any sci-fi film starring you is gonna be bloody boring and over in about 10 minutes, with very little mishap. :( But if I was captaining a ship, I'd want you on my crew. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can't help it - every time I watch a sci-fi movie, even an all-time great like "2001" (which is my favorite movie), I do wonder what the film would be like if the mission just went according to plan, and always want to see that in a movie too.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Awwwww, I thought I was going to be reading a bunch of superlatives about a BBC series on UHD. Never heard of this movie, but now I'm kinda interested...honestly, don't know how I missed it, seems like the type of thing I'd like.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm sure it's a very enjoyable sci-fi film & I'll probably buy the Blu-ray once the price has nudged down a bit, no rush. The problem is, I saw the trailer online, it was like the whole film edited down to a few minutes of key scenes, so no real need to see the film after that. The big lesson is...if you want to see a film, avoid seeing the trailer at all costs, it looks like the teaser trailer is a lost art.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I think many could enjoy LIFE if they take it as another variation on the ALIEN theme. After all, ALIEN could be called a "re-tread" of IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE (1957).

**SPOILER ALERT**
I've seen LIFE twice. Re: comments about 'dumb' behavior by the crew--this really only involves two members (one who goes too far in studying the creature, and his friend who tries to save him, or maybe only the latter is really "dumb" if you want to call helping a friend "dumb") ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dumb characters are a staple of many a great film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks