HTF News Editor
Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Scott Hart
Scott Hart

Sony's 77" 4K OLED Bravia Will Hit US Shelves At $20,000
Sony-Bravia-Android-TV.jpg

So I have been wanted a newer, bigger TV for quite some time now. Most of the time I lean towards some type of projector, but there are times that I fall back into wanted a TV with all of the current gadgets and gizmos. Where the TV is mounted, I have space for a fairly large screen, so I am always on the lookout. This brings me to the point of my story; Sony has just released their new Bravia line, which have always impressed me, even back to my Circuit City days. The one thing I remember about the Sony XBR TV’s is having to explain why they cost more. But, how much should a good large screen TV cost? Sony says that the new XBR-77A1E should cost $20,000. Perhaps I will continue my search elsewhere, or just go for the projector option.

The XBR-77A1E OLED television has a 4K resolution and support for HDR10, HLG and (eventually) Dolby Vision. The 55in and 65in versions are priced at $5000 and $6500 respectively.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Scott Hart

Sony's 77" 4K OLED Bravia Will Hit US Shelves At $20,000
Sony-Bravia-Android-TV.jpg

So I have been wanted a newer, bigger TV for quite some time now. Most of the time I lean towards some type of projector, but there are times that I fall back into wanted a TV with all of the current gadgets and gizmos. Where the TV is mounted, I have space for a fairly large screen, so I am always on the lookout. This brings me to the point of my story; Sony has just released their new Bravia line, which have always impressed me, even back to my Circuit City days. The one thing I remember about the Sony XBR TV’s is having to explain why they cost more. But, how much should a good large screen TV cost? Sony says that the new XBR-77A1E should cost $20,000. Perhaps I will continue my search elsewhere, or just go for the projector option.

The XBR-77A1E OLED television has a 4K resolution and support for HDR10, HLG and (eventually) Dolby Vision. The 55in and 65in versions are priced at $5000 and $6500 respectively.
The pricing for the 77" display is off-the-hook nuts. If I had 20 G's, I'd place it on a 4K projector and 120" custom screen. Secondly, by going 12 inches less, the consumer saves $13,500; leaving them with plenty of picture and size. And maybe that's a marketing gimmick, as well; as Sony could actually get a consumer to put down $6,500 by making them think they got themselves a steal, over that 20 G price-tag.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Surprisingly, and I'm not speaking of this panel, I see a lot of people going the other way, from a PJ to a panel. They say, for the same money, they'd rather have the panel. Assuming the size/seating match, and more in the >80" sizes. Perhaps not at this price progression though...

For the same tech/quality, I generally see pricing as 75" = 2x 65", ~85"= 2x 75". So yes, this panel is a bit pricey, but Sony cleverly put it in a size range where you can't exactly compare to more "common" 75" nor to 80" panels.

Not in my price league, 70" is the absolutely biggest I can fit anyway, and that's with some small compromises. [I am lucky that way, in the same way I'm lucky my local airport can't handle a Gulfstream, so I won't be tempted to buy one... :)]

Edit: forgot the 65" = 2x 55" in my price progression. Often ~80" is a very reasonable "deal", almost a sweet spot in larger sizes for whatever reason, as is 55" if you can make it work.

Edit of edit: from Robert's info, looks like 65" is the sweet spot for this Sony range, and that is a very nice size IMO. For some other ranges, 55" seems dirt cheap compared to anything larger. Anyway, hope I get to see a 77A1 sooner rather than later (note I said "see", not "buy"...)

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
55" and 65" A1Es reared at Sony dealers store in April, the 77" will launch at select Sony authorized dealers end of July - Early August.

Here's the SRP and the current best UPP prices:

Sony A1E 4K UHD/HDR OLED TV prices:
  • XBR-55A1E SRP $4,999 - UPP $3,499
  • XBR-65A1E SRP $6,499 - UPP $4,999
  • XBR-77A1E SRP $19,999 - UPP $17,999
Some authorized dealers offer Rewards credits, free delivery and other benefits.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have no doubt that the 77" Sony OLED looks nice but not at $18K! I can justify spending $18K - $20K for a projector because with the 4K projector you can get 120" screen plus depending on your room or if you actually build a custom room to fit a larger screen. But I do not see myself spending that kind of money for a flat panel tv ever! Money wise you can get a Sony 75" LED 4K for around $2,599.99, a Samsung 75" 4K LED for $3,299.99 or even an Sony 85" 4K LED for $6,999.99.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Ok the price tag on the Sony 100" LED 4K UHD TV at $59,999.99 is actually more absurd than the $17,999.99 on the 77" Sony OLED 4K UHD TV! Best Buy is showing a Sony 77" 4K UHD OLED TV model for $19,999.00.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
$20k for a flat panel TV makes no sense. For that kind of money you could a superb 4K projector and HUGE screen. 77" is TINY compared to what you could get with a projector.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Everyone's comments are all true and well advised, but a projector is only good in a light controlled room and performs best with all flat black ceilings and walls. Also HDR is not nearly as good on projection systems as it is on premium flat panels. HDR is here now and is firmly positioned for the long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
The A1 65" has a slight tilt back, but no one seems to notice it. With the view angle OLED's have it just isnt an issue, Ive also read the pics make the lean back look more extreme than they really are. I am looking hard at 2017's and the ZD9 65" and A1E 65" are the two tops, with me thinking the A1E is prob the best 65" for sale.

The 940E 75" is also a consideration, massive screen. I will be watching the shootout closely to see how the 7 series OLED's, the A1E and the ZD9 do.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The A1 65" has a slight tilt back, but no one seems to notice it. With the view angle OLED's have it just isnt an issue, Ive also read the pics make the lean back look more extreme than they really are. I am looking hard at 2017's and the ZD9 65" and A1E 65" are the two tops, with me thinking the A1E is prob the best 65" for sale.

The 940E 75" is also a consideration, massive screen. I will be watching the shootout closely to see how the 7 series OLED's, the A1E and the ZD9 do.
well That's a mistake for such a expensive set,I don't want a tilt,funny the one review of this set ,didn't even mention it ,of course most can put it on a wall,I can't guess one would have to place a book under the stand

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I think it is 5 degrees or something. Wayfair has a $199 tv foot with bracket that it will mount to that makes it just like a normal stand. It was posted at AVS and looks nice as an alternative to the kickstand. Sucks to spend $4000+ on an OLED and then need a stand though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks