What's new

MISSING HITCHCOCK BLU-RAYS (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
My Blu-ray copy of THE PARADINE CASE just arrived, and I now seem to have all his American
films in this format, with the exception of STAGE FRIGHT and UNDER CAPRICORN. Does any
knowledgeable person out there know when or if these might be released, or if there's a
good Non-Region 1 version available? Many thanks in advance.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
They were distributed by WB originally and I had them both on VHS. If I remember correctly Stage Fright was a WB tape and Under Capricorn was some obscure company that released PD titles. It would be interesting to know who has the rights now.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
From what I can find, here's how the rights are for remaining unreleased Hitchcock films in Region A:

iTV/Janus Films: The Pleasure Garden, Easy Virtue, Juno and the Paycock, Waltzes from Vienna, Secret Agent, Young and Innocent, Sabotage
StudioCanal/Lionsgate: Rich and Strange, The Farmer's Wife, The Ring, Champagne, The Manxman, Murder!, Blackmail, Number Seventeen, and The Skin Game
Warner: Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Stage Fright (both likely to be Warner Archive releases)
ABC: Spellbound, Notorious (now likely with Criterion)

I did some searching and Under Capricorn doesn't have any clear rights line. Apparently, the film reverted to the bank that financed it due to its box office failure. The Image DVD only lists "Copyright 1949 Transatlantic Pictures". There was a French R2 Universal release that appears to note a license from The Corporation. The German Arthaus DVD lists "Copyright 1949 Warner Bros."

Only the Image release seems to be a proper "professional" transfer, even if from a film source that has odd color. Apparently, UCLA has the original nitrate 3-strip positives, but they don't list any rights holders.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have most of the hitch ones that are on blu ray.
I'm missing a few:
Lifeboat
SUspicion
Paradine case

I'm interested in the 2 new criterions: Rebecca and the lodger

Just saw this:
http://hitchcock50.tcm.com/

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
TCM is having a big Hitchcock month in July, including a day of silents. I have all the silents on PD DVDs, but the quality is generally wretched. Does anyone know if TCM is running the recently restored versions?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I would imagine Criterion has the inside track on the remaining Gainsborough/British Gaumont films (ie: Young and Innocent, Sabotage, etc.) and just hasn't gotten arround to them yet.

Or at least they have the ones people actually want to see and not forgetable "diehard fans only" crap like Juno and the Paycock.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dear Matt ... oops, forgot about his one comedy. I have all his others grouped together, and just looked there.
I've done it before myself (forgotten about his 1941 domestic romance) which is why the title was fresh in my head. But I really want Stage Fright which I've always thought was better than it's given credit for.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have most of the hitch ones that are on blu ray.
I'm missing a few:
Lifeboat
SUspicion
Paradine case

I'm interested in the 2 new criterions: Rebecca and the lodger

Just saw this:
http://hitchcock50.tcm.com/

Warner Archive released Suspicion on Blu-ray disc some time ago. It's a pretty good disc. Lifeboat is available on an excellent Zone B disc. The Paradine Case has just been released on Blu-ray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Warner Archive released Suspicion on Blu-ray disc some time ago. It's a pretty good disc. Lifeboat is available on an excellent Zone B disc. The Paradine Case has just been released on Blu-ray.

All on my wish list.
I have suspicion on DVD but would like to upgrade it.

Watched Hitchcock/ Truffaut last night and loved every minute of it.
Great documentary on Hitchcock!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
All on my wish list.
I have suspicion on DVD but would like to upgrade it.

Watched Hitchcock/ Truffaut last night and loved every minute of it.
Great documentary on Hitchcock!!!

Upgrading Suspicion is a necessity. Wait until you see how brilliant, and fully textured Ms Fontaine's macipital mapillory looks like in HD...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks