What's new

Jake and the Fat Man Packaging (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Just got the set today from VEI, and I'm more than a little disappointed in how it comes packaged. Previous sets I've purchased from them (Cagney & Lacey, The Equalizer, Cannon) were in season cases, but not this one. It's in the now ubiquitous "disk dump" multi-season case. Frankly, I expected that, but VEI has gone one worse. There are so many disks crammed in (five seasons instead of the usual four), that several of them are stacked two-deep on the hub. Several disks are also six episodes instead of the usual four or (at most) five. I expect this kind of thing from Mill Creek, where everything is stacked on one spindle, but not from VEI.

I haven't watched a single episode yet, but already have a bad taste in my mouth about it. Needless to say, I'm gettng some replacement single-season cases, and not disposing of my CBS/Paramount Season 1 and 2 sets.

Boo, VEI!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There are so many disks crammed in (five seasons instead of the usual four), that several of them are stacked two-deep on the hub. Several disks are also six episodes instead of the usual four or (at most) five. I expect this kind of thing from Mill Creek, where everything is stacked on one spindle, but not from VEI.

This just confirmed my suspicions + speculations over the past five months or so.

The VEI released complete series dvd sets of Martial Law and the 1993-1994 The Untouchables released last year, functionally had this configuration of "six episodes" crammed onto a single disc (ie. 1.3 gigabytes per episode).

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...k-courtesy-of-vei.340549/page-33#post-4470223

It seems like VEI is not releasing anymore the 4 (or 5) episode per disc versions to begin with for newer titles.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Just wondering.

Do the VEI Jake & the Fatman discs have "RSBiMedia" or "RSB iMedia" written in one of the inner circles (away from the center) on the silver side of the disc?

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Really sorry to hear about the lousy packaging. I am still excited to get the last three seasons of Bill Conrad's final series, assuming that what CBS gave VEI is decent looking. But part of the fun of this hobby is having the individual seasons all lined up neatly on the shelf in their cases. I may have to come up with some homegrown artwork to accommodate the aesthetic side of me.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Just wondering.

Do the VEI Jake & the Fatman discs have "RSBiMedia" or "RSB iMedia" written in one of the inner circles (away from the center) on the silver side of the disc?

Not that I can find, even looking through a loupe. Says "Made in Canada" a lot along with "May 3-17," which I assume is when it was made.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thanks for looking up the info.

Your description sounds consistent with the discs being manufactured at a facility with IFPI code 9F**

Currently I have no idea who owns and runs this particular disc manufacturing facility. It appears VEI has been using it over the past year or two. For example, my complete series sets of Martial Law, The Untouchables, Hollywood Wives, and the disc-reduced low-budget versions of The Equalizer and Cagney & Lacey, all had IFPI facility code 9F** and the "Made In Canada" etched into one of the inner circles on the discs.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
VEI always does a lousy job on packaging and video quality. Hotel was great packaging but video wise it was one of the worse purchases I made. I really want to get Jake and Fat Man. I was a big fan of the show.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I haven't watched a single episode yet, but already have a bad taste in my mouth about it. Needless to say, I'm gettng some replacement single-season cases, and not disposing of my CBS/Paramount Season 1 and 2 sets.

Boo, VEI!

I hope you post a review on the picture quality of this set.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
VEI always does a lousy job on packaging and video quality. Hotel was great packaging but video wise it was one of the worse purchases I made.

If the picture quality turns out to be horrible, then this complete series set will probably be another $25 or less title for me. (Similar to the horrible picture quality of Cannon).

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I'm grateful that Rick gave us the heads up on the packaging for this set. Mine arrived today, and it is atrocious. I took my original 9 CBS discs for seasons 1-2, the 13 VEI discs for seasons 3-5, a few new cases, and I am no worse for the wear. But I'm disappointed that VEI is going this route. The good news, though, is that the episodes themselves look very good, and that's what really matters. I'll look forward to watching a season 3 episode later this evening.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Lets hope that VEI has actually hired a full time professional encoder, who knows what they're doing when it comes to heavily compressing episodes to 6 (or 7) episodes per disc.

An expert encoder can probably do more with less, and pull off miracles with very limited resources.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
You are lucky that you are getting these series at all, as they are sure to be very marginal sellers. Jake and the Fatman is the longest running series to have never been offered for syndication, that's how popular it was. VEI is giving you shows from the CBS library which CBS either gave up on due to poor sales or never attempted to begin with, due to what would surely be poor sales. If the shows are important enough to you, buy them. If not, live without them or live with your VHS copies. As for the packaging, who cares. Its easier to put DVDs in jewel cases anyway, this way they fit better with all of the DVD-R transfers.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
You are lucky that you are getting these series at all, as they are sure to be very marginal sellers. Jake and the Fatman is the longest running series to have never been offered for syndication, that's how popular it was. VEI is giving you shows from the CBS library which CBS either gave up on due to poor sales or never attempted to begin with, due to what would surely be poor sales. If the shows are important enough to you, buy them. If not, live without them or live with your VHS copies. As for the packaging, who cares. Its easier to put DVDs in jewel cases anyway, this way they fit better with all of the DVD-R transfers.

I've replaced the packaging already, but I'd have gladly paid the extra for packaging like my previous "Complete Collection" purchases from VEI (Cagney & Lacey, The Equalizer, Cannon) — each season in a separate case.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It may never have been offered for syndication, but I have been watching some of these episodes and some are as short as 44:30. Someone edited them for something because that's short even for 1990.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Decided to get the complete series and the picture quality is good. The colors seem soft and sharpness a bit off. Still I am enjoying this release! This was one of my favorite shows growing up! The show is great!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've replaced the packaging already, but I'd have gladly paid the extra for packaging like my previous "Complete Collection" purchases from VEI (Cagney & Lacey, The Equalizer, Cannon) — each season in a separate case.

I have another that's like that, before it went the way of that oversized keepcase-- the all-in-one of Hotel.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Yes, it sounds much like the Hotel set which is also messy package-wise and needs to be replaced (disc storage). Picture quality is fine, that's ultimately what counts.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I've really enjoyed becoming reacquainted with this series after an 8-year hiatus from CBS's last release. Bill Conrad is a great actor. In Cannon, I loved how he could be a bully to the bad guys, and in the next scene be a pussycat to his downtrodden client, then poke fun at his girth, and make it all so believable. Tonight I watched the third season Christmas episode of Jake and the Fatman. Jason McCabe's former secretary from season 1 (Lu Leonard) comes out to Hawaii for a Christmas visit and during the episode JL discovers that she is battling cancer. There are some very touching moments where the two alternate between their usual obstinacy and expressing real concern for each other. It coulda been so ham-handed and obvious, but thanks to William Conrad's aplomb, it was very moving and genuine. I'm over VEI's lousy packaging job, and very glad to have the last three seasons of this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks