What's new

TREMORS Pilot starring Kevin Bacon (Syfy) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Looks like Kevin Bacon has just officially signed onto Syfy's new Tremors TV series pilot, reprising his role as Val from the original film:

http://www.variety.com/2017/tv/news/tremors-tv-show-syfy-kevin-bacon-1202479038/

Syfy is eyeing a television reboot of the movie Tremors with Kevin Bacon set to reprise his original role, Variety has learned.

The cable network has picked up a pilot for the potential series, based on the 1990 film. In addition to starring, Bacon will also serve as an executive producer.

The TV series would pick up 25 years after the original film left off. The killer Graboid worms that nearly destroyed the small town of Perfection, Nevada 25 years ago are back and the town's only hope for survival is Valentine McKee (Bacon) who beat them once, but to do it again, he'll have to overcome age, alcohol, and a delusional hero complex. The movie revolved around natives of a the town who have to defend themselves against strange underground creatures that are killing them one by one.

"This is the only character I've played that I’ve ever thought about revisiting," Bacon said. "I just got to thinking, where would this guy end up after 25 years? Andrew Miller has a fantastic take on it, and we hope to create a show that will be fun and scary for fans of the movie and folks that have yet to discover it. Let's kick some Graboid ass!"

Better be white trash as shit. This is everything I ever wanted. Let's hope Syfy gives them a decent budget.

I know that Bacon has been talking about doing this since 2015, and it's great that he's so enthusiastic about this project. I wonder if they can get Fred Ward to at least be in some episodes. And yeah, it'd be criminal not to have Michael Gross in the series to some degree.

It'd be nice if they actually made it like the sequels to Tremors (the ones Gross headlined) all happened -- where Gross just occasionally pops up as a badass Graboid-hunter (when he's not hunting Graboids in some other part of the world).

It's also fun, because soon we'll be able to describe DUNE as "Tremors plus Game of Thrones."

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
As a long time Tremors fan I would love to see this. Though I hope it doesn't COMPLETELY ignore the sequels. Michael Gross is essential to anything Tremors in my book, and as he's been involved with EVERY Tremors sequel (including the 4th which was a prequel) and the first Sci-fi channel series, it would be strange to see a Burt that out of nowhere has nothing to say about the last 20-some years of graboid incidents. I'm totally fine with it being more of a follow-up to the first with Val back as a main protagonist, but to totally disregard everything Tremors since the first wouldn't be cool.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I also hope that Fred Ward and Michael Gross appear in this.

Kind of sad that actors get stuck in these kind of roles that they can't seem to escape, but Kevin's probably getting a very nice paycheck.

Sort of like Streisand and others singers where people just want to hear the oldies they're famous for, so they sing them over and over, hundreds, even thousands of times.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
For the past little while, I've made Saturday movie night (what a concept! except, I'm not that much of a movie guy). For the most part, that means renting something on Vudu or finding something to record on cable. The announcement of this series happened to coincide with Starz or somebody running every movie except the fifth, which the Sci-Fi channel was running. This Saturday will be week four of my Tremors Saturdayathon, and I have to say, the first three have all been pretty good. The second was almost on par with the first. The third wasn't as good, but it was still fun. Hopefully, the next two will also be enjoyable. I doubt if I'll try to track down the first series, but at least I'll be ready for the new one.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I liked all of the first four, but the drop in quality for the fifth was pretty steep. Bodily function gags, 20-years-later ripoffs of Jurassic Park, and bad CGI. Michael Gross said he was doing a sixth. If the TV series doesn't kill that, I hope they fix their mistakes.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Not good news:

http://www.deadline.com/2018/04/tremors-reboot-pilot-dead-kevin-bacon-star-syfy-1202378796/

Syfy has passed on its pilot Tremors, a reboot of the 1990 cult classic film headlined by original star Kevin Bacon reprising his role. Bacon confirmed the news in an Instagram post.

"Sad to report that my dream of revisiting the world of Perfection will not become a reality," he wrote. "Although we made a fantastic pilot (IMHO) the network has decided not to move forward. Thanks to our killer cast and everyone behind the scenes who worked so hard. And always keep one eye out for GRABOIDS!"

Goddamn it. Maybe Netflix will pick it up. That call to Fred must've been awkward.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
At least the new movie is out or nearly out. On the plus, it sounds like they’re borrowing from The Thing. On the negative, it sounds like Burt is going to be out of action for much of it in favor of Jamie Kennedy. The last movie was the only one where it became very hard to see any merit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks