What's new

‘AVATAR 2’ MOVIE WILL BE 3D BUT WILL NOT REQUIRE 3D GLASSES – JAMES CAMERON’S ‘DREAM COME TRUE’ (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I need more info before I can know what to think of this. Too many questions and no answers in that article.

Theoretically, the concept is cool. But I'm having a hard time grasping how you could do projected 3D without glasses. If this is something that requires a special new screen/projector(s) combo, then it would seem most people would be unlikely to have the option to see it anyway.

But as I said, need more info.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Theoretically, the concept is cool. But I'm having a hard time grasping how you could do projected 3D without glasses. If this is something that requires a special new screen/projector(s) combo, then it would seem most people would be unlikely to have the option to see it anyway.
That's basically my thought too. I certainly hope they can pull it together though.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I need more info before I can know what to think of this. Too many questions and no answers in that article.

But as I said, need more info.

I'm guessing it is the same tech that Dolby showed off a couple years ago. It will be depth only no pop out effect.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would agree that if this is going to require more expensive hardware upgrades for exhibitors, that not many will go for it and there will just be a select few that would get to see it as Cameron intended. And those that do upgrade would need to be sure they "get it right" out of the gate. If moviegoers have bad experiences, they'll quickly choose to avoid those shows.

This sounds kind of similar to HFR (high frame rate) that was touted by Peter Jackson a few years back. How many HFR theaters are there today? I know one theater near me upgraded, but hasn't shown an HFR film since The Hobbit trilogy.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm guessing it is the same tech that Dolby showed off a couple years ago. It will be depth only no pop out effect.

Makes sense. A quick search found this from 2013

Though this all seems to be tech for television type displays, of which I was already aware. I didn't think it could apply to projected images, and this video didn't say anything about theater projection. But I'll have to spend some time looking to see if there is anything about actual theater projection of glasses free 3D.

Anyone who finds some info on that, please share.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Another quick look, and I'm getting the sense that "Dolby 3D" is glasses-free for the home and not for theatrical projection.

"Dolby 3D comprises two systems: glasses-free 3D for TVs, PCs, and portable devices; and a unique digital cinema technology. Both systems deliver sharp, vivid images with exceptional color fidelity and realistic 3D effects."

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-3d.html

But there may be something I'm missing. The article in the original post was clearly referring to glass-free 3D projection. So there must be more to it if the article is accurate.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They would have to re-label it as something other than 3D then, as audiences will be expecting pop-out if they call it 3D.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tons of post converted 3D movies have no pop-out...
Which is possibly one reason 3D ticket sales as a percentage of domestic box office have been stagnant or falling the past few years (along with poor conversions and higher ticket prices for a sometimes underwhelming experience). Maybe perception will change with the generations, but in the past 3D has always touted the pop-out experience.

While overall domestic box office is generally increasing, percentage of box office from 3D tix sales are down by 1/3 since the mass rollout around 2009-10. At that time, about 21% of box office was from 3D sales. Last year, that was only about 14% (and was down 8% year-to-year from 2015-16).

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2016_Final-1.pdf

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There was plenty of forward projection in Avatar although no gimmicky "pop out" moments that I recall. But it wasn't all depth that's for sure.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Which is possibly one reason 3D ticket sales as a percentage of domestic box office have been stagnant or falling the past few years (along with poor conversions and higher ticket prices for a sometimes underwhelming experience). Maybe perception will change with the generations, but in the past 3D has always touted the pop-out experience.

While overall domestic box office is generally increasing, percentage of box office from 3D tix sales are down by 1/3 since the mass rollout around 2009-10. At that time, about 21% of box office was from 3D sales. Last year, that was only about 14% (and was down 8% year-to-year from 2015-16).

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2016_Final-1.pdf

Totally agree with you... I believe 3D is heading to a point where theaters won't even show them anymore. The theater my son works at the 3D showings have about 5-10% of the attendance of the non-3D ones. The general manager wants to stop showing them altogether but the studios require so many showings so they can't, per corporate. Went to opening night of Transformers in 3D and there where 6 of us for a 8pm showing. Where the non-3D was at 70% full... Now that the home 3D market has entered the unsupported mode (no new 3D TVs being offered). I'm guessing we are only a couple years away from not seeing any 3D showings in the theaters.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Yes, I recall seeing it at Dolby during a HTF meet. The effect is subtle, maybe too subtle to garner much interest and get people to pay extra for.

Yep, that is where I saw it too. :) I figure they have had 3-4 years now to improve on it. So that is why is was my guess as to the model they are using. As for paying extra, was that really for the glasses? If no glasses then it should be no extra cost. ;)

There was plenty of forward projection in Avatar although no gimmicky "pop out" moments that I recall. But it wasn't all depth that's for sure.

As far as depth or front you can just configure the base picture to be set back which would allow things to move forward. However, you wouldn't get the pop out of the screen effect. Much like playing with the 2D to 3D conversion on your TV/Blu-ray player.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Totally agree with you... I believe 3D is heading to a point where theaters won't even show them anymore. The theater my son works at the 3D showings have about 5-10% of the attendance of the non-3D ones. The general manager wants to stop showing them altogether but the studios require so many showings so they can't, per corporate. Went to opening night of Transformers in 3D and there where 6 of us for a 8pm showing. Where the non-3D was at 70% full... Now that the home 3D market has entered the unsupported mode (no new 3D TVs being offered). I'm guessing we are only a couple years away from not seeing any 3D showings in the theaters.
I think you're right and I'm hoping you're right.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yep, that is where I saw it too. :) I figure they have had 3-4 years now to improve on it. So that is why is was my guess as to the model they are using. As for paying extra, was that really for the glasses? If no glasses then it should be no extra cost. ;)

As far as depth or front you can just configure the base picture to be set back which would allow things to move forward. However, you wouldn't get the pop out of the screen effect. Much like playing with the 2D to 3D conversion on your TV/Blu-ray player.
I didn't need to adjust any setting watching Avatar. Watched it recently actually and was surprised to see how great the 3D was. Depth and forward projection was very pleasing.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I didn't need to adjust any setting watching Avatar. Watched it recently actually and was surprised to see how great the 3D was. Depth and forward projection was very pleasing.

Missed my point... I don't do anything for watching 3D content...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks