What's new

Reflections In A Golden Eye DVD (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone played their DVD of Reflections In A Golden Eye lately? Earlier this month I was going to watch it but it wouldn't play. I tried it in another player and it wouldn't play either. I ordered a copy from a third party seller on Amazon and that wouldn't play either. Ordered a copy from Oldies.com and that played up until the last 25 minutes when it froze. Does anyone own the Australian DVD? Is it the "gold" version? I could get the French blu ray but that has forced subtitles :(

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Mine stopped play a few years ago, I remember reading somewhere that it had to do with the region coding but it wouldn't even play in an old DVD player either

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I see where TCM has a DVD collection of 4 Brando films including Reflections In A Golden Eye but no details as if it is the "gold" version. Hopefully, it's a straight port of the Warners now OP title.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Had a similar problem with the WB "Film Noir Double Feature" of Illegal and The Big Steal. Breakups all over the place and the disc surface as clean as the day it was purchased; and this on my "play anything" Oppo. What the hell were they using as media? Now out of print and costing a fortune. Not a happy camper!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Had a similar problem with the WB "Film Noir Double Feature" of Illegal and The Big Steal. Breakups all over the place and the disc surface as clean as the day it was purchased; and this on my "play anything" Oppo. What the hell were they using as media? Now out of print and costing a fortune. Not a happy camper!

Yes, several of my Warners discs have gone dead on me which is scary. Prior to this, my DVD of The Great Ziegfeld froze at the halfway mark and wouldn't play. Evelyn Prentice from the Loy/Powell box set also stopped playing as did Strike Up The Band from the Garland & Rooney box set and Act Of Violence DVD went bad. I'll definitely have to check out my Illegal/Big Steal disc. Ironically, these are all pressed discs yet I've never had one of the Warner Archive MODs go bad on me yet and I remember when the program first started, all the doomsayers saying the MOD discs will go bad after 5 years. Not in my experience.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Three of the four Garland-Rooney musicals went bad on me. I had to buy the budget-priced TCM four-movie set to replace three of them (they were exactly the same movie discs as in the big box set).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Three of the four Garland-Rooney musicals went bad on me. I had to buy the budget-priced TCM four-movie set to replace three of them (they were exactly the same movie discs as in the big box set).
Ack! Every time someone reports a disc going bad I rush to check mine. Sure enough, 2 of the 5 discs in my set now have playback issues: Babes in Arms and the bonus disc. Luckily for me, DVD is a dead format to me as I have no intention of ever viewing any of my DVD movies again, but it does kill my resale plans for when the eventual Blu-rays come out.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ack! Every time someone reports a disc going bad I rush to check mine. Sure enough, 2 of the 5 discs in my set now have playback issues: Babes in Arms and the bonus disc. Luckily for me, DVD is a dead format to me as I have no intention of ever viewing any of my DVD movies again, but it does kill my resale plans for when the eventual Blu-rays come out.

If you have no intention of ever watching any of your DVDs again, why wait for a Blu-ray disc to arrive before selling? Why not sell now before they deteriorate?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Your assumption that there will eventually be a blu ray is not a given. I have thousands of movies on DVD that I doubt will ever see the light of day on blu ray. Hell, I have movies on laser disc that have never seen the light of day on DVD! I'm a movie lover and I have not given up on DVD, far from it. And I'm certainly not going to hold my breath till Mary Reilly, Looking For Love, Madame Sousatzka, Angels And Insects, The Trojan Women, Black Tights, Take Care Of My Cat, Elvira Madigan, The Hallelujah Trail, Ring Of Bright Water, the 1956 Hunchback Of Notre Dame to name but a handful of DVDs to come out on blu ray when I can watch them on DVD NOW

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, as a Judy Garland fan, I have to keep the DVDs of most of her MGM output since they're MIA on Blu-ray. Very unlikely her 1930s films will ever see the light of Blu-ray day. And, of course, her indispensable television series is only available on DVD, too (and being shot on videotape is very unlikely ever to come to Blu-ray).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Your assumption that there will eventually be a blu ray is not a given. I have thousands of movies on DVD that I doubt will ever see the light of day on blu ray. Hell, I have movies on laser disc that have never seen the light of day on DVD! I'm a movie lover and I have not given up on DVD, far from it. And I'm certainly not going to hold my breath till Mary Reilly, Looking For Love, Madame Sousatzka, Angels And Insects, The Trojan Women, Black Tights, Take Care Of My Cat, Elvira Madigan, The Hallelujah Trail, Ring Of Bright Water, the 1956 Hunchback Of Notre Dame to name but a handful of DVDs to come out on blu ray when I can watch them on DVD NOW
It's more than likely that the Garland/Rooney quartet will make it to Blu-ray, but if not they will eventually be out in HD in some form such as digital download, in fact Babes on Broadway is already in HD on iTunes. But Blu-ray spoiled me so I can't enjoy DVD anymore.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
If you have no intention of ever watching any of your DVDs again, why wait for a Blu-ray disc to arrive before selling? Why not sell now before they deteriorate?
It's just the habit I've been in. I upgrade, then sell. But lately most of the DVDs I want to be rid of are so worthless you can't even get anyone to pay 25¢ for them on Amazon.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
But Blu-ray spoiled me so I can't enjoy DVD anymore.

That's where we differ. For me, it's never been about the format. It's always been about the movie. Would I like to see a 4K restoration of Detour on blu ray? Sure! But in the meantime, I can enjoy my scratchy less than pristine public domain DVD thank you very much.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i agree. if you want the complete canon of a favorite actor, director, etc. in your library you

will be collecting blu rays, dvds, dvdrs, and even other region software.

i would like the best print available of a title, but have really given up on the idea of

collecting every title on one format

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
i agree. if you want the complete canon of a favorite actor, director, etc. in your library you

will be collecting blu rays, dvds, dvdrs, and even other region software.

i would like the best print available of a title, but have really given up on the idea of

collecting every title on one format
And you'll also be collecting VHS, too--there's lots of films that haven't made the leap yet.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I see where TCM has a DVD collection of 4 Brando films including Reflections In A Golden Eye but no details as if it is the "gold" version. Hopefully, it's a straight port of the Warners now OP title.

I have the same TCM Brando collection and I put in my disc of REFLECTIONS last night. It's the "gold" version. It played fine but, truth to tell, I didn't watch much because something came on the Western Channel I wanted to see so I switched to that (ROUGH RIDERS).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have the same TCM Brando collection and I put in my disc of REFLECTIONS last night. It's the "gold" version. It played fine but, truth to tell, I didn't watch much because something came on the Western Channel I wanted to see so I switched to that (ROUGH RIDERS).
Thanks for that information, Vic. I'm off to order it right now! :)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Again, it sounds like most of the playback issues reported in this thread were from discs made before Warner moved to their pressing plants in Mexico. Quality and long-term durability of their discs has improved 100% since they moved their operations there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks