What's new

Need a receiver. I would prefer the $300-$500ish range (1 Viewer)

jimmy225

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I'm looking for a receiver and don't know what people recommend. I would like to setup a 5.1 stereo with Polk RTiA's and my biggest concern is power. My issue is I don't have a 4k TV and have no intentions of buying one in the immediate future so I don't want to pay big money for one with that option as it may be outdated by the time I do upgrade the TV but of course still want to play the audio from the TV through the speakers. What are your suggestions? Thank you all in advance!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Denon 2300 is around $500. The Onkyo 646 is a little bit cheaper. You can find similarly priced Yamahas and Pioneers. Any of these will be sufficient.

Power is overrated. It is mostly a marketing term that can be plastered on the boxes of cheap gear. The difference between 95 watts and 120 watts is almost nothing (you can't hear it). Also, modern AVRs will be 4k ready and usually have more than 5.1 connections. No need to use them all and if you do later decide to upgrade your TV you will be ready.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Those speakers have sensitivity ratings a bit above average, so any receiver rate in the 100 watt range will work fine (although you’ll probably get better overall performance closer to the $500 range than the $300). I’m partial to Yamaha and Pioneer myself, but the other brands are fine, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

pedro79

Auditioning
Real Name
Pedro Alvarado
i still like my harman kardon avr3600. it only pumps out 85 wpc and it has no issues doing it. AND you can get one for under $300. it has pre outs if i want to add an amp but i don't seem to want more power. oh, it is 4k ready but i do not have a 4k tv either and the blurays look great. i don't understand brand loyalty. i heard the clean crisp sound of this avr and it was the one for me. it replaced my denon avr4800. did this help?

Sharp LC-60LE632U
HK AVR 3600
Def Tech BP 2004 TL
Def Tech CLR 2002
Def Tech BP2X
AudioSource SW Fifteen

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've tried onkyo and Yamaha, but I love my denon receiver!

I have nht speakers.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks