What's new

Turning The Spotlight On....Ghost In The Shell in Dolby Atmos (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
168782_front.jpg

"Your Ghost Is Yours"

Thankfully, I didn't have high hopes going into Ghost In The Shell. I had a feeling that it would not be the kind of film that would particularly interest me. After all, I don't know anything about the anime franchise nor do I generally enjoy action movies dressed up in pretty CGI to make up for a bad story.

In all, I felt this more of an assignment rather than a memorable viewing.

So, as much as I was fully un-entertained by this mindless dreck, I do have a job to accomplish and that's to talk about the film's sound. The upcoming Blu-ray release includes a Dolby Atmos track which I must say is far more impressive than the film itself.

Ghost In The Shell sports a forceful Atmos soundtrack with wide dynamic range. All the speakers within my theater were operating in unison to deliver a completely enveloping sonic experience. For instance, the sounds of a futuristic city with its 3D billboards and overhead roadways are realistically conveyed to the viewer thanks to effective channel placement of effects as the camera sweeps over the landscape.

There is much use of "synthetic noise" to convey this new cyber world and those sounds permeate from every channel creating an almost hypnotic effect at times. There's a terrific sequence where Major (Scarlett Johansson) performs a deep dive into a Geisha cyborg. It's this sequence that you really hear all the channels of sound come together to create a very immersive effect.

The film has a pulsating electronic musical soundtrack with heavy LFE undertones. You'll notice this particularly in the scene inside the Yakusa club. There's a battle with a Spider Tank at the close of the film that provides a thunderous amount of floor-shaking bass.

For Atmos fans like myself, there are a number of sequences that provide pleasing overhead activity including falling rain, helicopter surveillance and even crumbling or exploding infrastructure. I was very happy to find that this very busy sound-mix took full advantage of handing off some of the heavy work to the overheads. Those of you with an Atmos setup in your home should be very pleased.

In all, mindless entertainment with a very worthy Atmos mix.

End Note: I wish Paramount would include a Dolby Atmos intro for their films in the same way Lionsgate does. There really is nothing like an Atmos promo to introduce the film one is about to watch and it is severely missed here.​

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like the film a little bit more than you, but that's probably because of the star of the film. As to the Dolby Atmos soundtrack, I do remember it as very impressive during my theatrical viewing. I'm still trying to make up my mind on whether I buy the 3-D or 4K/UHD release. I did see it in 3-D during my theatrical viewing, but I'm leaning towards getting this title in 4K/UHD.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I enjoyed the film too. I'll be picking up the 3D version. It was great as I recall. I'll also eventually pick up the 4K too.

I didn't think it was "mindless dreck" at all. I found the story very strong and emotional.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I pre-ordered the 4K disc. Can't wait! huge fan of the movies and the TV show. She was a prefect major it is unbelievable how she has that presence in Lucy and this movie.

Thank you for the review. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While I think it is nowhere near the level.of the manga and anime that preceded it, I don't think it is mindless dreck. It certainly isn't mindless on the level of, say, Fate of the Furious.

Glad to see you were impressed by the Atmos track. I may pick it up just for that; although, with my present set up I cannot use the overhead channels on my amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks