What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kong: Skull Island - 3D -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I know what some will say.

"He's always got something to complain about."

Not really.

Only when I find something not making sense.

Good news first.

Kong: Skull Island is a gorgeous presentation in 3D. Enough to either make it mandatory viewing in addition to or, possibly instead of 4k, but certainly far above standard issue Blu-ray.

There's real meat on these 3D bones.

Brightness, especially in projection, is never a problem. Image stability is superb at almost all times.

So what's his gripe?

Once again, those home theater enthusiasts who have supported the various technologies, are receiving a virtual slap in the face, as one can either purchase 4k, along with a Blu-Ray, or...

one can purchase in 3D, along with a standard issue Blu-ray.

Why is it so difficult to package three discs?

3D

Blu-ray

And here's the other rub.

The Dolby Atmos track adds precision and nuance to the audio presentation.

But it can only be had on the 4k release.

Those who wish to run 3D, along with Atmos are out of luck.

Standing down from the soapbox.

Image - 5

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nice that BB has it, but we need free-range 4k, along with 3D.

BB deserves the sales.

And, like you mentioned before, Atmos on the 3D disc and the 2D BD for that matter. There's no technical reason it couldn't be there, it's just a blanket studio policy. Paramount, for example, includes Atmos with 3D and 2D BD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received my 4K/UHD, 3-D & Blu-ray Steel Book today. I watched the 4K/UHD disc first because I already viewed Kong: Skull Island in 3-D at an IMAX theater. I agree with RAH about the 3-D disc not containing Dolby Atmos. These studios need to get their act together and stop short-changing their consumers. Bad job by Warner on this as the Dolby Atmos audio track on the 4K/UHD disc sounded fantastic.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Never mind. Just checked. It's 5.1. Strange because the back of the 3D bluray has the Dolby Atmos logo. Disappointing.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Not to get too off topic, but regarding the complaint of not being able to include 3 discs in a set, on another site it was just announced that Studio canal will be releasing a T2 set inclusive of uhd/3D/blu and a replica arm in the U.K. Lions gate will be releasing the same set in the US minus the 3D version. For $175.

IMG_0725.JPG IMG_0724.JPG

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's nice, but one shouldn't have to spring north of $150 (or whatever the UK release works out to in dollars) just to get a 4K/3D/BRD release. Make it available without the bells and whistles as well for those who don't want the expensive schwag.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That's nice, but one shouldn't have to spring north of $150 (or whatever the UK release works out to in dollars) just to get a 4K/3D/BRD release. Make it available without the bells and whistles as well for those who don't want the expensive schwag.

Yeah, what he said.

I don't have the space for all of this "collectible" crap. Just give me the movie in 3D and 4K, and I'm happy. What good is that stupid hand other than to grab a bunch of extra money out of my pocket?

Last edited:

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Forget the "collector's crap," I don't even have room for the regular boxes. Took all my DVDs and Blu-rays out of the boxes, put the latter in the trash, and put the discs in special binders. Each binder holds 96 discs. Makes having a large library manageable.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There is a BestBuy Exclusive Super Combo package 4K+3D+BD+Digital though apparently only in Steelbook Clothing

And that's what I bought. They were out at the one closest to me, but I was able to grab one at another store. Couldn't agree more with RAH's comments about packaging them all together.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, just finished watching the film and man, it was a slog for me. Not much good here IMO. The story was a mess, the acting and script lacking, the effects mediocre at best, and the 3D was no great shakes. I'm not much of a fan of Jackson's Kong, but it's a masterpiece for the ages compared to Kong: Skull Island. Can't believe I paid $42 for the Best Buy steelbook release of this turd. I'll watch it again in 4K just to give it another chance, but ugh. Just ugh.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, just finished watching the film and man, it was a slog for me. Not much good here IMO. The story was a mess, the acting and script lacking, the effects mediocre at best, and the 3D was no great shakes. I'm not much of a fan of Jackson's Kong, but it's a masterpiece for the ages compared to Kong: Skull Island. Can't believe I paid $42 for the Best Buy steelbook release of this turd. I'll watch it again in 4K just to give it another chance, but ugh. Just ugh.

Good news -- wait a couple weeks and you can probably sell it for about what you paid.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To each his own, I really enjoy this film. You should just sell it and get back most of your monies.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Told ya:D

I agree completely with you Doug as I just finished watching it in 3D too. I bought it because I LOVE Kong the character and it was a good deal and I didn't hate the film.

I was hoping I would like the film better on my second viewing but it remained mediocre in every way.

But I'm glad the film has its fans and there is more Kong coming since this one wasn't a flop. Hopefully the promised King Kong vs Godzilla film is better than its previous films.

Now I'm going to go back And watch the spectacular UHD version of Jackson's Kong to get this bad taste out of my mouth. :P

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't see much difference between Jackson's Kong and this film. Somebody explain to me why Jackson's version is so superior.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't see much difference between Jackson's Kong and this film. Somebody explain to me why Jackson's version is so superior.
Just a few Off the top of my head. In my opinion of course.

Better story
Better acting
Better visual effects
Better music
Better characters
And most of all.. a better Kong. Fully realized and brought to life spectacularly.

This Kong was mostly a supporting character in this film. Just showing up once in a while at opportune times. Zero character development and pretty much the worst Kong depiction on film.

Did you buy the new UHD of Jackson's Kong Robert? It's tremendous. I'd be curious to read your thoughts comparing the two after revisiting it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a few Off the top of my head. In my opinion of course.

Better story
Better acting
Better visual effects
Better music
Better characters
And most of all.. a better Kong. Fully realized and brought to life spectacularly.

This Kong was mostly a supporting character in this film. Just showing up once in a while at opportune times. Zero character development and pretty much the worst Kong depiction on film.

Did you buy the new UHD of Jackson's Kong Robert? It's tremendous. I'd be curious to read your thoughts comparing the two after revisiting it.
Well, let's just say I don't agree with your assessment except maybe better music. As to Jackson's Kong, yes, I have the UHD release and it's a good presentation, but I was more impressed with the 4K release of Kong Skull Island. I don't dislike Jackson's Kong, but I don't see a big difference between it and Kong Skull Island. I would say that Jackson's Kong is a superior film, but it's not a night and day difference to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks