What's new

PS3/XBOX360 and HDLP Woes (1 Viewer)

3LD70

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik Dierks
I am working with some older/ secondhand equipment and trying to isolate an issue that has occurred a couple of times. The setup consists of the following components:

• Denon AVR-488 receiver
  • Philips - 50" plasma (50PF7321D/37)
  • PS3 Slim
  • Xbox 360
The PS3 and xbox are connected to the receiver via HDMI for video with separate TOSLink digital audio connection from the PS3 to the receiver and the receiver to TV via HDMI and a digital audio SPDIF coax cable.

Twice in the past 2 weeks I have had an issue where I try to access HULU or the xbox and the display strobes/blinks. I connected a ROKU to troubleshoot to the same HDMI cable as the XBox and got a "HDCP Unauthorized. Content Disabled".

Based on Google searches, I shut down everything, replaced the HDMI cable and after bringing it all back online, the problem went away.

I am just trying to get a handle on what potential root causes of this issue might be and if I should prepare for having to replace the receiver, display or if there is anything else I can do to avoid it from occurring. The last time this occurred, I had powered off the xbox and then brought up the PS3 and switched the receiver to the appropriate channel. Could this have caused an issue with the HDCP initial key exchange between the display and PS3?

New to this and appreciate any info or insight.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Sounds like a bad cable to me. I'm wondering why you bother with the optical cable, as HDMI passes both audio and video. If your reasoning is that the Denon doesn't handle the new audio codecs, that's actually a non-issue, as you can set your sources to output LPCM, which any receiver can handle via HDMI. Your power cycle should always be display first and work backwards from there. E.G. Display--> Receiver--> PS3 Slim. This avoids any handshake issues with the HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks