Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: mother! (2017)

Tagline: Seeing is believing

Genre: Drama, Horror, Mystery

Director: Darren Aronofsky

Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer, Brian Gleeson, Domhnall Gleeson, Jovan Adepo, Patricia Summersett, Eric Davis, Raphael Grosz-Harvey, Kristen Wiig, Stephen McHattie, Cristina Rosato, Xiao Sun, Marcia Jean Kurtz, Hamza Haq, Gregg Bello, Stanley B. Herman, Sabrina Campilii, Amanda Chiu, Emily Hampshire, Abraham Aronofsky, Luis Oliva, Stephanie Ng Wan, Ambrosio De Luca, Arthur Holden, Henry Kwok, Alexander Bisping, Koumba Ball, Robert Higden, Elizabeth Neale, Scott Humphrey, Anton Koval, Carolyn Fe, Pierre Simpson, Mylene Savoie, Gitz Crazyboy, Shaun O'Hagan, Mizinga Mwinga, Genti Bejko, Andreas Apergis, Julianne Jain, Julien Irwin Dupuy, Bronwen Mantel, Amanda Warren, Mason Franklin, Laurence Leboeuf, Sarah-Jeanne Labrosse, Mercedes Leggett, Alain Chanoine, Deena Aziz, Chloë Bellande, Adam Bernett, Izabela Dąbrowska, Bineyam Girma, Hamza Haq, Oliver Koomsatira, Vitali Makarov, Danny MAlin, Serge Martineau, Fred Nguyen, Daniela Sandiford, Xiao Sun, Nathaly Thibault, Melissa Toussaint, Kimberly Laferriere

Release: 2017-09-13

Runtime: 121

Plot: A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence.

mother poster.jpeg

Called a horror film of the psychological variety this film is the story of unexpected guests arriving to shatter the tranquil existence of a young couple. The picture stars Michelle Pfeiffer, Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Domhnall Gleeson, Ed Harris and Kristen Wiig. Paramount Pictures plans to release the film on October 13, 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For my money, Darren Aronofsky is like 60's/early 70's Polanski- a guy that might not be really considered a horror movie director but he has made a number of great horror movies. And I love that cast. Hopefully Jennifer Lawrence means that this movie will get a wide release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For my money, Darren Aronofsky is like 60's/early 70's Polanski- a guy that might not be really considered a horror movie director but he has made a number of great horror movies. And I love that cast. Hopefully Jennifer Lawrence means that this movie will get a wide release.
Yeah, I have to agree with your comments. No doubt this gets a wide release!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The trailer said September 15. Looks like a very creepy film.

I think they either bumped it out of October due to a sort of busy and competitive release schedule or the September opening may be one of those slow roll out deals where they open it in "select cities."

Not sure really but I am looking forward to seeing this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think they either bumped it out of October due to a sort of busy and competitive release schedule or the September opening may be one of those slow roll out deals where they open it in "select cities."

Not sure really but I am looking forward to seeing this.
Wrong! If it's opening in my small town in Michigan, it's opening everywhere on September 15th.

IMO, after reading Rotten Tomatoes, I think this film will have people loving it and those that hated it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Wrong! If it's opening in my small town in Michigan, it's opening everywhere on September 15th.

IMO, after reading Rotten Tomatoes, I think this film will have people loving it and those that hated it.

Yes, I am just happy it is coming out. I unfortunately saw an interview with Jennifer and Darren that gave away some aspects of what the film is about I am sorry I saw...I hate finding out things before seeing the film. I thought they were being very secretive on this one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw it tonight and thought it was interesting for its first 2 acts. Act 3 goes deep into Metaphor City and flies off the rails.

Aronofsky isn't what you'd call a subtle filmmaker! :D
Agreed. He and David Lynch should collaborate.

I liked it. Just not sure what it was. Great surround sound design.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Saw it tonight and thought it was interesting for its first 2 acts. Act 3 goes deep into Metaphor City and flies off the rails.
I'd loosely agree with that. The first two acts are pretty good and build nicely but the last act is the weakest. I do think there is a sense of humor at play during the chunk of the movie that becomes a fever dream and that's fun but it's not entirely successful.

Unsurprisingly, the cast was very good but I have to say that Michelle Pfeiffer was something of a standout. She managed to pivot between being creepy and being oblivious to her own rudeness in the same scene and even from line to line in the same scene.

I'm curious as to what the word of mouth or Cinemascore will be because the crowd that I saw this with HATED it. As the credits started, a guy behind me said "What?!", people rushed for the exit and as a group of 20-something aged women left the theater and I heard one say "I'll never get that two hours back!" I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that those ladies were more Lawrence fans than Aronofsky fans.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm curious as to what the word of mouth or Cinemascore will be because the crowd that I saw this with HATED it. As the credits started, a guy behind me said "What?!", people rushed for the exit and as a group of 20-something aged women left the theater and I heard one say "I'll never get that two hours back!" I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that those ladies were more Lawrence fans than Aronofsky fans.
That's exactly the type of reaction I was expecting from a segment of people viewing this film. There will also be a segment that really like this film and appreciate Aronofsky films. There will be very few in the middle regarding this film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Definitely a polarizing love it or hate it film.

Curiously im more in the like not love camp.

Great performances across the board.

Jeez that third act is crazy!:eek:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I love Michelle Pfeiffer, so I would go just to see her. She has been sorely missed, at least by me.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
So, without spoiling anything, is it horror or psychological thriller. I'm not a horror fan, just don't like movies full of jump out and scare you stuff. I do like some stuff like "The Others", "Cabin in the Woods" (that's probably more comedy) and the Alien movies. Sorry can't think of other examples. I'm hit and miss on Aronofsky films, I appreciate his style and direction though.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks