What's new

Quiet hissing coming from new speakers (1 Viewer)

Jaaywags

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
So I just set up my very first home theater. I was playing music via Bluetooth today and noticed a very faint hissing. I paused my music and it stopped. But I could hear it in the background when the music was playing. I heard it when the songs were switching. Any idea what it might be?

My setup is a Yamaha RX-V381BL. I have two front speakers, Dayton Audio T652, and a Polk Audio CS1 Series II Center Channel Speaker.

The hissing is coming out of the top of both of the front speakers.

I have read this is normal and has something to do with resistors or interference, but just wanted to make sure. Any advice is much appreciated.

Jaaywags

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
Well I found a review post regarding a similar product, the Yamaha RX-V379, and they said they also noticed a faint hissing sound when playing on Bluetooth.

https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v379/review

"There’s also a slight background hiss, which you can hear on quieter tracks.
It’s not too distracting for the most part, but we would recommend turning off Yamaha’s compressed music enhancer (which is on by default) for the softer tracks, as despite adding some size and weight to the performance, it also emphasises the hissing sound."

I will try this when I get home from work.

Jaaywags

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
So I did a little more messing around. I tried to turn the enhancer on and off and it didn't change anything. I tried Bluetooth, aux, and Xbox, and all three have the same static sound. I changed the program mode (standard, movie, sports...), and it is all the same. The static definitely increases when the sound increases. I tried unplugging everything and plugging the receiver right into the wall and I still hear the hiss. I also checked all three speakers and it is coming from all three, both the front speakers and the front channel speaker.

Could this be a ground issue?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No, ground issues don’t hiss - they hum.

Sounds like the Yamaha has issues. I always find it troubling when a manufacturer won’t publish a noise specification for a product.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jaaywags

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
No, ground issues don’t hiss - they hum.

I didn't even think there could be a difference between a hiss and a hum. I would say it is more of a hum than a hiss. It is like a low pitch constant static. I will contact best buy and see if they will swap it. I have a feeling it has something to do with the receiver.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Static is not what I would call a hum either, so it still doesn't sound like you're describing a ground loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks