What's new

Newbie With a Man Cave (1 Viewer)

ayontek

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Hello ladies and gents,

I am a new guy to home theater but not to the equipment part. I tinker with stuff. Been playing around with CRT projectors the last 10 years or so just as a hobby. Looking for ideas to bounce off of people in the near future for my man cave/home theater. I am also not the richest guy in the world either. However I am looking forward to getting this done the quick and dirty way. I have other hobbies too that take up some of my time so that is why I am limited. I like to BBQ on the weekends when I am not at my IT job. Outside in summer time is my domain with my smokers. The rest are my man cave to avoid the sibling rivalry of the kids and for the wife to referee. Going camping this next week. We do that often. so yeah that's me in a nutshell. As for the man cave, It's not much but it's all I have. It is a 12x20 room with a height of 6'8 from floor to bottom of joist. Here is what I have in my inventory. A modified Vidikron Vision 1 CRT Projector with a 120 DA-Lite HP screen. Infinity 5.1 speakers with an Onkyo Receiver. I recently built a media server....Hope to have it up and running soon. Now I want to have a config that I can change from theater to man cave. I do have another projector that is great for TV and sports and will add a small 80 inch screen using a Epson LCD projector. The theater setup will obviously go lengthwise and the man cave setup will be on the width. I have a massive lazyboy sectional couch that I wish to utilize for both. I plan on putting wheels under it to make it easier to move around. I only plan on drywall one section to close off the room from the other side of the basement. I will not me using screws but a loctite glue that adheres to stone and in this case cinder block. I do not have any moisture issues. in this basement. I have a sump pump just in case and it's a dry climate here in Utah. I then plan on painting the drywall, walls, and ceiling all in a latex black. so yes I will not be putting drywall on the concrete walls to maximize space. So why do I want a modular configuration? Easy....I want movies to be separate from my "zen zone". When I have my buddies over in the man cave config, I have my small fridge going along with soda stream machine, hot-dog roller machine, pizza oven, and popcorn machine. Not to mention Foosball table and Rod Hockey. It's all great on fight nights and football. For the theater config, I plan to build some risers to go in the back for re-configuring from man cave to theater. Simply put couch in front and in between chairs on risers that I plan on being able to stand up and set aside when not in use. I already have the carpet tiles. They are thin but look nice. Now I plan on having sports murals and other man cave related stuff around. And some on the walls like my harley clock and and my camero posters. However these will be covered up during theater time. I plan on having these two custom made curtains on both sides from end to end covering the walls. Once in place I plan on putting up some sound panels to give a little help for sound. Again modular so I will have measured pre-cut holes in location for the panels to attach to the wall. This is my concept idea and it's really the only way to get what I want with what works. I am excited to get going this weekend on the drywall. I already have the black paint and paint sprayer ready. Carpet tile is sitting in the room in a pile. Drywall, wiring for sound and canned lights, paint, carpet, risers, casters for couch, sound panels, and curtains in that order. I think I can get this done for the Raiders football season. And if anyone here is questioning the use of a CRT projector, this thing whomps your DLP or LCD all the way up and down the street!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3503.JPG
    IMG_3503.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 148

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Welcome..and phew, that was a tough read..such a longggg paragraph. :)

Hoping someone can help you out.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Welcome! Many folks here won't have the patience to read what is considered a "Wall of text". I would suggest editing your post to add a few paragraph breaks, it will help folks read your post and get to know you better!

Good luck with your work this weekend, hopefully it goes smoothly.

Dave

ayontek

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
thx guys.....yeah I have to get it doen quickly before my son's football starts up

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks