What's new

International THE SUN ALSO RISES (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
The SUN ALSO RISES is available for pre-order on Amazon.uk in dual format Blu-ray/DVD with a release date of July 31st.

Sun.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yes, I've been keeping my eye on this for several months now. (Amazon UK sends me emails twice a week!) I love this film - and no, I don't care that all the actors are about 15 years too old for the characters they are playing - and I'm hoping desperately that Fox have done a brilliant job.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this Blu-ray disc last night. In most respects it's very good but I wasn't especially impressed by the picture quality which seemed a bit lacklustre. It isn't bad but it's nothing like as good as some we have seen from 20th Century Fox. The sound quality is very good and Hugo Friedhofer's main title theme is given great weight and body and is presented in stereo although the dialogue is all mono.

The " extras" are very good although I haven't yet sampled the commentary. The "making of" documentary includes some very perceptive comments as well as useful information. I also enjoyed the "Hemingway On Film" documentary although I learned little I didn't already know. The audio only conversation with Henry King is excellent.

The disc also has sub-titles.

Last edited:

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The thing that has always bothered me about this film as well as the '57 version of A Farewell to Arms is that the actors are too old for those parts! Ideally, Elizabeth Taylor, Natalie Wood, Joan Collins, or Joanne Woodward should have played Brett, with Robert Wagner, Paul Newman, Don Murray, Anthony Perkins, or John Kerr cast as Jake Barnes. Likewise for Frederic and Catherine in Farewell. Flynn was fine in his part (strange how late in his career he was finally able to prove what a great actor he was). I know that David O. Selznick made Farewell as yet another cinematic valentine to his wife Jennifer Jones, but he was stretching things here.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The thing that has always bothered me about this film as well as the '57 version of A Farewell to Arms is that the actors are too old for those parts! Ideally, Elizabeth Taylor, Natalie Wood, Joan Collins, or Joanne Woodward should have played Brett, with Robert Wagner, Paul Newman, Don Murray, Anthony Perkins, or John Kerr cast as Jake Barnes. Likewise for Frederic and Catherine in Farewell. Flynn was fine in his part (strange how late in his career he was finally able to prove what a great actor he was). I know that David O. Selznick made Farewell as yet another cinematic valentine to his wife Jennifer Jones, but he was stretching things here.

I can live with the fact that cast is mainly too old for the parts they play although I would be interested if The Sun Also Rises was remade today with actors and actresses in their early to mid twenties. In one of the " extras" it's claimed that the part of Brett was offered first to Jennifer Jones who turned it down flat, and later regretted having done so. I'm glad she turned it down.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It's been shown on TCM although I haven't seen it lately. Too bad the dialog is not directional as many of the Fox CinemaScope titles from the 1950's were.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Was there to be a Blu-ray release in the US? I thought there some announcement that i read earlier this year unless it got cancelled?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Well, Joan Collins was under contract to FOX and she wasn't considered, too bad. Always wondered how different "Cleopatra" would have been with Collins in the lead. However I digress and apologize. Always adored Joan, so tired the comparison was made with Taylor. Joan was every bit as beautiful as Liz......Just saying

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, Joan Collins was under contract to FOX and she wasn't considered, too bad.
Since The Sun Also Rises was a FOX film, Collins could have been considered. The dumbest move she made while under contract to Fox was turning down Sons And Lovers which got her replacement Mary Ure an Oscar nomination.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'd LOVE Sons and Lovers on Blu. And the Sundowners...
There's a very good chance The Sundowners could show up as part of the Warner Archives blu ray releases. With Disney now controlling Fox, the chances of a Sons And Lovers blu ray are slim to none. I'm grateful to have the Australian DVD of Sons And Lovers which sports a very nice anamorphic transfer.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
There's a very good chance The Sundowners could show up as part of the Warner Archives blu ray releases. With Disney now controlling Fox, the chances of a Sons And Lovers blu ray are slim to none. I'm grateful to have the Australian DVD of Sons And Lovers which sports a very nice anamorphic transfer.
There are a few films I need from Fox that Im sure will never see the light of day... STATE FAIR (1933), THE PIED PIPER (1942?). SONS AND LOVERS, THE TURNING POINT...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks