What's new

The Simpsons season 18 coming to DVD... take that, streaming! (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sam, better than not having any option at all on the disc front as I am NOT a fan of streaming stuff and I'm old-school who values watching these shows through traditional means still, so let's be thankful the studio woke up and took the fans' comments to heart.

I agree, but it does feel like a half-step backwards. Nevertheless, I will support the new releases.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam, it took them long enough to know what they did was wrong to start with by ceasing these releases, but I guess better late than never and hoping Season 19 makes it out before spring 2018 but it's a step in the right direction for this franchise and not everyone streams stuff out.

Streaming is good as a supplement, or if you don't want to own something.

But Fox tried to force people to pay them every month for access to Simpsons episodes, and cut off the legal avenue to own them. The DVDs were still profitable and decent sellers, but they decided they would rather drain people monthly for something they couldn't own instead of get X amount of sales off of DVDs.

I'm guessing it didn't work out like they planned, or some beancounter looked at the projected DVD sales vs. the streaming subscribers and wondered why they left money on the table when the two formats could have coexisted peacefully without pissing people off and making them say "well, f**k Fox, they won't release DVDs, I won't subscribe to streaming".

Oh, and unless Fox learned really big lesson, I wouldn't expect S19 (if it comes at all) before December 2018. Doesn't matter that the commentaries are done, I just don't expect them to release more than one season a year, as usual.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
While I'm not a fan of this show, I think it's wonderful that Fox has had to back down and reverse its ridiculous "no more discs; it's streaming or nothing" approach to the series. Congrats to all of the fans!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Hopefully this will get the ball rolling on other "stalled" series. Streaming on sites that let you do so for free (such as YouTube) is a good way to check out a show you have a hankering to get. If you like what you see you go out and buy it. If it's not as you expected it then you just move along.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This is, overall, great news for physical media!
I currently only own seasons 1-8 (all on DVD) and 20 (on Blu-ray). But I’ll be pre-ordering this as soon as it’s available!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Robert, I figure Season 19 comes out in the spring of 2018 and then maybe another season (S21) a few months afterwards and then they take a break on it yet again, is my GUT feeling.

Oh, and unless Fox learned really big lesson, I wouldn't expect S19 (if it comes at all) before December 2018. Doesn't matter that the commentaries are done, I just don't expect them to release more than one season a year, as usual.

(On a tangent).

At this point, Fox seems to have lost much of the long term control on the pricing of their products. It seems like their stuff ends up as dump bin fodder relatively quickly. (Similar story with Warner, Universal, Paramount, etc ...). As a recent example, I picked up the Family Guy season 14 set for $6 from a local dump bin. (It was originally released this past December 2016).

Disney seems to be one of the few exceptions, where they still have some long term control over the pricing of their products. For example, such as some of the Star Wars titles maintaining their sky high first-week prices for many years. I strongly suspect this is one reason why Disney is still willing to fight against amazon, in their recent feud. (Star Trek no longer has this luxury of maintaining sky high prices for many years, for the franchise's tv season sets).

In regard to The Simpsons, I suspect future releases after season 20 will probably be dependent on how much revenue Fox can get before the seasons 18 and 19 season sets end up as dump bin fodder (within a year or two).

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I think that this is surprising and good news for fans. I'm somewhat surprised by comments here lamenting the lack of blu ray. This is absolutely not surprising.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This is very good news for fans, no doubt. I wonder what prompted the change of heart, though.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Sure, I'd like a BD release to keep in continuity with the other seasons, but again...not complaining.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I think that this is surprising and good news for fans. I'm somewhat surprised by comments here lamenting the lack of blu ray. This is absolutely not surprising.

If Fox doesn't bother releasing seasons 21+ for whatever reasons, let's hope that they outsource it to Kino-Lorber or Olive on bluray.

IIRC, did the Simpsons start being finished in HD resolution during season 20 or 21?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is very good news for fans, no doubt. I wonder what prompted the change of heart, though.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Sure, I'd like a BD release to keep in continuity with the other seasons, but again...not complaining.
My guess is that their streaming website wasn't getting the hits/making the money they had hoped so they went back to DVDs to keep some money coming in.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Technically Season 21 was the first full season to be produced in HD. The first half of Season 20 was leftover uprezzes made during 19.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If Fox doesn't bother releasing seasons 21+ for whatever reasons, lets hope that they outsource it to Kino-Lorber or Olive on bluray.

(This is purely uninformed wild speculation, as a rambling rant.) :)

With Olive releasing Flipper seasons 1 and 2 on bluray soon, and Kino-Lorber releasing The Outer Limits on bluray at the end of this year, I'm guessing these could be two "test cases" for Fox/MGM to see how well these two smaller companies can handle tv on bluray season sets.

If I had to guess, Kino-Lorber seems to put a lot of effort into their releases (ie. extras, etc ...). I don't have many releases by Kino-Lorber, but the ones I do have (ie. Metropolis) seem to be semi-Criterion quality.

If the revenue from the Simpsons seasons 18 and 19 dvd sets don't live up to Fox's expectations, and Kino-Lorber do a good job with The Outer Limits bluray sets, then perhaps Kino-Lorber might possibly do a high quality presentation for (hypothetical) seasons 21+ of The Simpsons on bluray.

At this point I have no idea how Olive would approach doing The Simpsons on dvd/bluray. (ie. Will they just be "bare bones" bluray releases?)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm guessing these could be two "test cases" for Fox/MGM to see how well these two smaller companies can handle tv on bluray season sets.
Olive has already released Season 13 of King Of The Hill on bluray. I think they did a great job on it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
(This is purely uninformed wild speculation, as a rambling rant.) :)

With Olive releasing Flipper seasons 1 and 2 on bluray soon, and Kino-Lorber releasing The Outer Limits on bluray at the end of this year, I'm guessing these could be two "test cases" for Fox/MGM to see how well these two smaller companies can handle tv on bluray season sets.

If I had to guess, Kino-Lorber seems to put a lot of effort into their releases (ie. extras, etc ...). I don't have many releases by Kino-Lorber, but the ones I do have (ie. Metropolis) seem to be semi-Criterion quality.

If the revenue from the Simpsons seasons 18 and 19 dvd sets don't live up to Fox's expectations, and Kino-Lorber do a good job with The Outer Limits bluray sets, then perhaps Kino-Lorber might possibly do a high quality presentation for (hypothetical) seasons 21+ of The Simpsons on bluray.

At this point I have no idea how Olive would approach doing The Simpsons on dvd/bluray. (ie. Will they just be "bare bones" bluray releases?)

Personally, I have extreme doubts that Fox would license out its flagship series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks