What's new

Supergirl - season 3 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Girl of Steel will return for a third season of adventures, premiering on Monday, October 9.

Season 1 thread
Season 2 thread

The second season ended with Supergirl poisoning the atmosphere of Earth with minute amounts of lead to drive away the Daxamites, forcing her Daxamite boyfriend offplanet in the process; adoptive sister Alex proposed to her girlfriend Maggie; Cat Grant revealing that she knows Supergirl's secret identity; and a flashback to the final moments of Krypton, which revealed that Kal-El wasn't the only baby to escape the planet's destruction.

Ali Adler, co-showrunner for the first two seasons, has stepped back her involvement in the show after signing a deal with CBS TV Studios. Jessica Queller and Robert Rovner, who joined the show's writing staff midway through the first season, will be co-showrunners for the third season. They will share those duties with series co-creator Andrew Kreisberg, who splits his time between "Supergirl" and "The Flash".

Melissa Benoist, Chyler Leigh, Mehcad Brooks, Jeremy Jordan, Chris Wood and David Harewood will continue as series regulars for the third season. Katie McGrath, who recurred as Lena Luthor during the second season, has been promoted to series regular. Floriana Lima has opted not to return as a series regular, but will recur during the first part of the new season.

Calista Flockhart will return as Cat Grant in the third season premiere. She is likely to continue to appear periodically throughout the season.

New casting:
  • Odette Annable as Reign, a living breathing Kryptonian superweapon genetically-engineered with the power to kill entire worlds.
  • Adrian Pasdar as Morgan Edge, "a ruthless real estate developer who will stop at nothing to get what he wants (and what he feels he deserves)."
  • Carl Lumbly as M’yrnn J’onzz, "the father of J’onn J’onnz, the Martian Manhunter (David Harewood). A pacifist religious leader on Mars, M’yrn pushes his son in unexpected ways. Lumbly actually voiced the Martian Manhunter on the Justice League animated series."
  • Yael Grobglas as Psi, "a psychic villain who uses people’s own minds against them. Psi’s agenda puts her on Supergirl’s radar, and their meeting will affect the Girl of Steel in surprising ways."
  • Emma Tremblay as Ruby, "a smart, independently minded National City kid who’s fascinated by Supergirl and ends up in jeopardy because of it."
  • Erica Durance as Alura, Kara's mother. She replaces Laura Benanti, who played the character during the first two seasons. Durance played Lois Lane on "Smallville".

Comic-Con Trailer:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since Chris Wood is still a series regular, I guess something is going to be figured out to get him back to Earth and Kara. Looking forward to Adrian Pasdar's involvement.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Izabela Vidovic will play teenage Kara and Olivia Nikkanen will play teenage Alex in the third season of "Supergirl".

Malina Weissman, who played 12-year-old Kara in flashbacks during the first two seasons of the show, is now one of the main cast members of "A Series of Unfortunate Events". Jordan Mazarati played 14-year-old Alex in flashbacks during the first two seasons of the show.

The new flashbacks take place a few years later, when Kara is in high school.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The 2017-18 crossover event will be entitled “Crisis on Earth-X”. Unlike last year's crossover, which only featured a brief scene at the tail-end of the "Supergirl" episode, which was then mostly repeated on "The Flash", this will be a true four-way crossover telling one story over four episodes on two nights.

"Last year, it was like, you know, Flash showed up on 'Supergirl' and then it was an episode of 'The Flash', an episode of 'Arrow', and an episode of 'Legends'," Stephen Amell told audiences at the Salt Lake Comic Con. "But this year is just a four-hour movie."

The crossover will kick off on "Supergirl" on Monday, November 27th at 8/7c. The story will segue into an episode of "Arrow" airing immediately after, on a special night and time (Monday, November 27th at 9/8c). The action will pick up on "The Flash" the following night (Tuesday, November 28th at 8/7c) and conclude with "Legends of Tomorrow" (Tuesday, November 28th at 9/8c).

While heroes from the four CW shows are gathered for the wedding of Barry Allen and Iris West, the Reichsmen from Earth-X crash the festivities with a deadly agenda. Earth-X, which will be featured in the upcoming animated CW Seed series "Freedom Fighters: The Ray", is another Earth where Nazi Germany won World War II. Between Earth-1 and Earth-38 in the multiverse, it features twisted doppelgangers of heroes from both Earths. These include Overgirl (a doppelganger of Supergirl), Blitzen (a doppelganger of The Flash) and a dark doppelganger of Green Arrow. Joining the side of good will be a new superhero, The Ray, played by Russell Tovey, who will also voice the character in the animated series.

“We conceived this year’s crossover to be evocative of the annual Justice League/Justice Society crossovers we grew up with and looked forward to as kids,” said executive producers Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg in a statement.

Comic artist Phil Jimenez created a faux-comic book cover poster for the crossover:
DCTV-Crossover_2017_Fall_001.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Supergirl's change of heart over her Kara Danvers secret identity was a little abrupt. I figured she'd go three or four episodes before changing her mind.

Adrian Pasdar seems like he's going to be a formidable opponent. Enjoyed his first attempt at takeover. Also am liking Lena Luthor more and more.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Still a pretty dour episode, but they're at least showing signs now that they're aware of the issues and trying to course correct. The biggest positive change was making Kara/Supergirl the central character again. She sometimes felt like a supporting character in her own story last season.

I dig the new title card, which is basically a darker and smokier version of the first season title card. I never cared for the second season title card. Felt too industrial.

The reveal that Cat Grant is now the White House press secretary was absolutely delicious. The idea of anybody with Cat's razor tongue in that office is hilarious. The Robert Gibbs name drop was weird, though. Both because it implies that a recent real world administration was also a recent Earth-38 administration, and because Gibbs wasn't exactly the Daniel Webster of press secretaries. Neither bad nor extraordinary.

They heavily hinted at the truth behind Odette Annable's character. A bit surprising that she has a daughter, who looks very much like her. Assuming she wasn't adopted, that raises all sorts of interesting questions. When Morgan Edge's attack struck, I was very worried that they were going to kill off the kid to set her on the path to villainy, and was very happy when that turned out not to be the case.

Supergirl's change of heart over her Kara Danvers secret identity was a little abrupt. I figured she'd go three or four episodes before changing her mind.
Me too. I don't think we've seen the full fallout yet, but she's at least on the path back to being herself. I'm always fascinated when they compare Kara's experience as basically a fresh off the boat immigrant to Clark's experience as basically a second-generation immigrant. In this case, Clark's what you want: part of why Superman is so inspiring is because he considers himself one of us, even though he can do so much more than us. Kara's always going to be more alien than him, and she's always going to have to work harder to assimilate.

Adrian Pasdar seems like he's going to be a formidable opponent.
Yes, both Lena and Supergirl poked the bear this episode. They shouldn't be surprised when he starts thrashing about. One of the things that the show lost when it moved production to Vancouver was a formidable human antagonist in Peter Facinelli's Maxwell Lord. At first blush, Lord seems more interesting because of the moral ambiguity of his character; he had utopian goals, even if he used reprehensible methods.

By contrast, Edge is a ruthless self-interested capitalist. He's more clearly defined, which means that there would seem to be less to learn about him. Given his history in the comics with Galaxy Broadcasting, I figured the CatCo sale would go through and the CatCo subplot would take a Superman IV direction. Glad to have my expectations subverted on that front.

Also am liking Lena Luthor more and more.
My main complaint with that character is that Katie McGrath struggles with the American accent. Given her status as one of Lionel's bastards, I wish they'd have just written her Irish accent into the show and explained that she'd lived with her mother in Ireland for the first few years of her life before Lionel and Lillian adopted her.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Clark's what you want: part of why Superman is so inspiring is because he considers himself one of us, even though he can do so much more than us. Kara's always going to be more alien than him, and she's always going to have to work harder to assimilate.

Fantastic!

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The confrontation between Supergirl and Edge at the end was interesting. He said they didn't have any proof he was behind the attacks. They had a whole submarine with men inside - surely there is evidence there. I hope they don't forget about Bloodsport and his men. They need to go into a maximum security, presumably federal prison.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Would love to see Maxwell Lord and Morgan Edge clash, would be an exciting subplot. And when the hell are they going to unleash Lex Luthor? I know he is Supe's main antagonist, but would be delicious to see Lex/Lena/Supergirl interaction. Would Lena still feel any loyalty at all to her brother, or would she fight against him and aid Supergirl/Supe's? Would be a great arc.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the premiere, although I hope the sullen Kara story goes away quick. It's one of those moody stories you only tend to see on the CW. Otherwise, it looks to be a promising season.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Man Supergirl has become so dour and brooding now. I really miss the fun of previous seasons. This keeps up I'm afraid I'm gonna have to remove it from my season pass list.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was a much better episode than the season premiere. It mostly felt like a first season episode, which is pretty high priase in my book.

Psi was a great supervillain of the week, who opened up an interesting avenue to explore another facet of Kara's character. The recreation of Kara's escape from Krypton via POV footage was well done.

Lena Luthor buying CatCo reenergized that whole side of the show. The show no longer needs to contrive reasons to involve her with the show. And it's a great way to make her a foil for our protagonists without making her a mustache-twirling villain. Jimmy Olsen has a purpose again. And it's nice to see someone call Kara out on her unprofessional behavior.

The slow burn with Sam and her daughter is intriguing. If it ate up more screentime, it'd probably be frustrating but at a couple scenes an episode the mystery holds my attention.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did not like Psi. The idea of her superpower was a good one, but she was vulnerable from the back and NO ONE ever took advantage of that. And even when Jonn momentarily distracted her during her second attack on Supergirl, Supergirl just stood there not taking action when she had an opening. And one little puff of super breath? How about a longer puff that would put her in the next county?

I kind of agree about the tone. I'm not loving the negativity all around much. And the ratings are severely down. Something needs to change.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I did not understand why Psi wanted the chaos of the wrecking ball. She's not invulnerable. During all that chaos there was no reason to believe that she couldn't get hurt. It was not a smart use of her powers.

Similar to points mentioned above, I agree that Supergirl did not effectively use her powers against Psi. It seemed she had a lot of openings. Though she still needed to be careful not to kill her, which is why she couldn't try to blow her into the next county.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed the Martian adventure. It was nice that J'onn was finally able to reconnect with his father. Too bad the reunion with a father parallel story didn't go as smoothly back on Earth.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was a mix of what I love above the show and what frustrates me about the show.

On the Maggie side, I thought most of the stuff with her and her father was well done. It a fraught, complicated relationship and the show did a good job of navigating the dynamic between a child and a parent who loves his daughter but can't escape his own biases and prejudices.

But then they felt the need to boil it down to a political sermon, with a lot of didactic telling rather than showing. And given that Lynda Carter is the very pro-immigrant president on Earth-38, it didn't make any sense within the context of this universe. An example where a little less would have been a whole lot more.

I loved, loved, loved J'onn's spaceship. Just delighted me to bits. And the stuff on Mars was well done, even if it beggared belief a bit that the resistance fighters would spend most of their time in human form when they've probably never even met a human. It was nice to see Supergirl's lightness shine through a bit again, and it was nice to see her repay some of the kindness and care that J'onn has invested in her by breaking through to his father. (Speaking of J'onn's father: Carl Lumbly is brilliant casting. He had to be their dream casting for the role, that they somehow managed to lock down)

My only complaint on that side is Supergirl vaporizing half a dozen White Martians with the staff, and feeling no evident remorse. Supergirl killing anybody, even murderous monsters, should be a big deal. And if your story requires it, you should probably rethink your story. I was hoping that, rather than kill, the staff would turn White Martians back into Green Martians.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks