What's new

Passive 3D beamer setup (1 Viewer)

sabotagedninja

Auditioning
Real Name
Bastiaan de Jong
We're working on a project to create our own home cinema room. We would like to have a passive 3D solution over active 3D (due the the flickering effect and the cost of active 3D glasses).

Based on our research, we have the following possibilities:

1. 1 passive 3D beamer (nowhere to be found atm.)

2. 1 regular beamer with an active 3D polarizing filter in front of the lens.
Active 3D polarizing filters are extremely expensive for their size. According to the second link down below, it seems possible to construct (DIY) such a filter from inexpensive active 3D glasses.

3d Polarizer Switchr: http://www.mediasluis.nl/webshop/product/77/Le-Vision-Mini-3D-Polarizer
Homemade 3d polarizer switcher: http://3d.simplecarnival.com/a-homemade-polarizer-switcher
3. 2 regular beamers with a passive polarizing filter in front of the lens.
Adjusting and aligning two beamers seems to be difficult and problematic.​

4. Or 1 active 3D beamer

Our questions:
a. Which method is realistically most feasible at this point in time?
b. Do any of you have experience with any of these methods?
c. Wich beamer is a good match for this project and our wishes? It would be great if the price would stay under a 1000 dollars, but if a more expensive beamer (at most 1500) would be exponentially better, then we would consider it.
d. What kind of projector screen do we require (for passive 3D). The prices vary wildly for silverscreens. What are the differences?
e. Can you watch 2D movies on a silverscreen?
f. Is it wise to incorporate ambilight around the projector screen? Does it disrupt the image quality in any way?

Any thoughts and input is greatly appreciated!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What do you mean by "beamer"?

If you're talking about home projection, it's extremely difficult to get passive 3D using consumer projection equipment and especially at the budget you're mentioning. To give some context to this, we have a gentleman on this forum who has a literal home theater with a 35mm projector that can show 3D films from 35mm with passive projection. When he watches a 3D Blu-ray, though, he projects with an Epson projector that uses active 3D.

I have an Epson 5030 projector with active 3D. I do not observe any flickering or problems viewing 3D. Guests frequently comment that the 3D quality on my projector is better than the 3D they see in movie theaters. Though the Epson glasses are about $100 a pair, Samsung makes compatible glasses that are $15 a pair.

A lot of people here are happy with the BenQ projectors which are generally under $1000. I don't have any firsthand experience but others can comment.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Wow! I've never heard of anyone changing the polarization by putting a 3D filter in front of the lens on a active 3D projector.. I have no clue if that would even work.
As far as I know, 3D Blu Rays are made to operate with an active 3D projector.
Silver screens are used to project linear and circular polarized 35mm 3D films. It also requires special 3D lens. Yes you can project 2D movies on a silver screen and you don't want any light any where around the screen when projecting 3D material. The blacker the front end of your HT the better.
Prices do vary on different brands of silver screens. It all depends on the company and quality of what you want.
Good luck on making a "beamer" work. I've been around 3D for a long time but I have zero experience in converting a 3D active Blu Ray to a passive presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks