What's new

Silver Screen Icons 4 film sets from Warners Same As TCM sets (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Silver+Screen+Icons

These appear to be the exact same sets as the TCM 4 film sets with the TCM branding removed. Same films/same sets new packaging.

A disappointment.

If Amazon's description is correct these sets have gone back to flippers. 2 discs 4 films. Unless they managed to fit 2 films on one side of one disc, in which case they most likely removed any extras. The list price is cheaper but you could regularly get the most of TCM sets for $10 or less. Many of them were at Big Lots for $8 or 2 for $14.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I find it significant that some of those sets include titles already released on Blu-ray disc. Clearly someone believes that the potential DVD market is still far bigger than the Blu-ray market.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Why is it a disappointment that WB is still releasing catalog titles in multi-packs, when they could easily make everything an individual and far more expensive MOD Archive disc?
I believe that the prime component in Gary's disappointment was the prospect of these reissues still being on Flipper discs. If this proves to be the case, I'd have to agree that in 2017, this would qualify as a legitimate disappointment. Just my opinion.

so far I haven't had problems with any of those TCM flippers. But most of those films need blu rays.
Agreed!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I find it significant that some of those sets include titles already released on Blu-ray disc. Clearly someone believes that the potential DVD market is still far bigger than the Blu-ray market.
Up until a few weeks ago the number pretty much confirms that DVD sells more. While Blu-ray had slightly better numbers some weeks it mostly mirrored this:
Webresearch-091617-10A.jpg

The following week Blu-ray almost surpassed the DVD numbers:
Webresearch-092317-10B.jpg

But the increase is likely due to Wonder Woman, a very strong title for Blu-ray, being released that week.

Once figures are available for subsequent weeks, I expect Blu-ray numbers to fall again.

Collectors appreciate the improvement Blu-ray typically provides over DVD, but data seems to indicate general consumers don't care and look mostly at price which is also a significant factor with streaming overtaking physical media sales.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe that the prime component in Gary's disappointment was the prospect of these reissues still being on Flipper discs. If this proves to be the case, I'd have to agree that in 2017, this would qualify as a legitimate disappointment. Just my opinion.

CHEERS! :)

The TCM Classics 4 film sets started as flippers but in the last few years switched to 4 discs . Even the earliest releases such as the Jean Harlow set and the two Astaire/Rogers sets which were flippers became 4 disc sets in later printings. Going back to flippers is a step backwards as far as I am concerned. Fingerprints and the ability to see the title on the disc and placing the disc on the wrong side are some of the problems I have with flippers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks