What's new

Do I have enough space for a theater room? (1 Viewer)

Drew Kessler

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
So I just finished framing and doing the initial sheetrocking on my garage conversion, we are adding 2 rooms, spare bedroom and "my office".

I didn't even think about a theater room until I randomly saw a topic on a skinny room theater conversion and a lot of rooms looks awesome . My measurements are 9.5' x 15' with the closet in tact or I can demo the framed closet and the room with be 18' long. I also framed a pretty small window for this room so it would be easy to black it out.

I realize I'm limited to a 2 seater loveseat style seating because of the width of the room but in my head if I could ad 2 rows of loveseat seating with the back row elevated and some sort of a table behind the last loveseat with chairs I would achieve enough seating for my family while still having a room I can call "office".

With closet in tact do I have enough length to add all that I want? Any ideas or suggestions of layout would be greatly appreciated! Attached are pics of the room currently.

Attachments

• IMG_2865.JPG
    IMG_2865.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2866.JPG
    IMG_2866.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 118

Drew Kessler

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
This picture is pretty much exactly what I was thinking for mine, even though this room is wider then mine I still think the width of these chairs would fit nicely in the 9.5' space..

Attachments

• media-room1.jpg
    media-room1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 132

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you go out of the room and turn left is there a closet there or is it a continuation of the hallway? If it is a closet I would use that for your equipment area and demo the closet in the room. You could put a 65" 4K UHD TV mounted on the wall and ether install inwall speakers or build a center peice that will bring the tv out and give you a shelf under the tv for the center channel so it is right under the tv. Then you can place towers on ether side and it will not look odd. Do you want to run Dolby Atmos? Do you want to include Dolby Vision? Do you plan to include 4K UHD blu-ray? What other components do you want or need to include? I would highly suggest getting rid of the window as it will interfere with your side surround speakers and having them at the correct height.

I am including a very rough sketch but it should get the idea across of what I am suggesting. And it assumes you have a closet to the left of the door in the hall allowing for the demo of the closet in the room. Am wondering what you need to have in the room as far as your office needs go? By the time you get two sofas in there your not going to have much room to play with even with the closet taken out. I would measure the size of the furniture and allow for proper spacing and mark it off and see how much space you have left in the room. You can run a 7.1 system in there or 7.1.2 for Dolby Atmos but there is nothing that says you can not run a 5.1 system that would actually appear to be a 7.1 with two rear speakers for each sofa but would still be 5.1.

img20170726_08312678.jpg

Drew Kessler

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
If you go out of the room and turn left is there a closet there or is it a continuation of the hallway? If it is a closet I would use that for your equipment area and demo the closet in the room. You could put a 65" 4K UHD TV mounted on the wall and ether install inwall speakers or build a center peice that will bring the tv out and give you a shelf under the tv for the center channel so it is right under the tv. Then you can place towers on ether side and it will not look odd. Do you want to run Dolby Atmos? Do you want to include Dolby Vision? Do you plan to include 4K UHD blu-ray? What other components do you want or need to include? I would highly suggest getting rid of the window as it will interfere with your side surround speakers and having them at the correct height.

I am including a very rough sketch but it should get the idea across of what I am suggesting. And it assumes you have a closet to the left of the door in the hall allowing for the demo of the closet in the room. Am wondering what you need to have in the room as far as your office needs go? By the time you get two sofas in there your not going to have much room to play with even with the closet taken out. I would measure the size of the furniture and allow for proper spacing and mark it off and see how much space you have left in the room. You can run a 7.1 system in there or 7.1.2 for Dolby Atmos but there is nothing that says you can not run a 5.1 system that would actually appear to be a 7.1 with two rear speakers for each sofa but would still be 5.1.

View attachment 39461

Really appreciate this, yes there's a closet to the left out of the room behind the closet currently in the room, that's a good idea storing the equipment in there.

I was thinking of going projection so I can use up as much of the back wall space as possible. Probably just going to run 7.1 or like you mentioned 5.1 with speakers for each sofa.

For office needs I really just need a surface to rest my laptop on and a chair which is why I liked that picture with the table behind the chairs.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you have room for a living room table in front of the front sofa you could put your laptop on that and have a small end table in the back and place a printer on that. Projection is trickier and you would really need to get rid of that window for light control in the room. You would also be limited to the size of the screen as you would need room for speakers on the sides unless your going to go with a acoustically transparent screen and run the speakers behind the screen. You will have to see what the throw distance is for the projector and see if the room is deep enough for the screen size you want.

Drew Kessler

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
If you have room for a living room table in front of the front sofa you could put your laptop on that and have a small end table in the back and place a printer on that. Projection is trickier and you would really need to get rid of that window for light control in the room. You would also be limited to the size of the screen as you would need room for speakers on the sides unless your going to go with a acoustically transparent screen and run the speakers behind the screen. You will have to see what the throw distance is for the projector and see if the room is deep enough for the screen size you want.

Being that the room isn't that wide I was thinking a 7' for screen leaving a foot on each side for the speakers? Table in front of the first sofas might be tough as I plan on having them recline but that still might work, i just like the idea of a thin table at the back and chairs would serve as additional seating also..

Drew Kessler

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
Also as far as the window goes I could add a solar screen on the outside and inside just black it out with curtains or something of that sort.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you want projection the window is a bad thing and also it is right about where your surround speakers need to go and you need to have them at the same height around the back of the room.

Drew Kessler

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
I'll need to get a roll down curtain to black out the window.. the window is only 32" wide so I think I'll be ok if I mounted the speaker right behind the window, but I guess I don't really have a choice unless I frame the window out..

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Suggestion-The room has walls, and the interior space is not likely to change much with finishing. Haul in some lawn chairs, get some painters tape and get an approximate measurement of what you're going to be sitting on empty boxes also make good simulated speakers. go in and try some configurations. The painters tape won't mess up the dry wall, and you can try different size flat screen TV's as well as the approximate size screen you might get with the projectors available. I'd finalize plans for a layout before going much further. That would allow running HDMI cable and speaker wires before you do much more with the dry wall.

It also builds more anticipation.

Drew Kessler

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
Suggestion-The room has walls, and the interior space is not likely to change much with finishing. Haul in some lawn chairs, get some painters tape and get an approximate measurement of what you're going to be sitting on empty boxes also make good simulated speakers. go in and try some configurations. The painters tape won't mess up the dry wall, and you can try different size flat screen TV's as well as the approximate size screen you might get with the projectors available. I'd finalize plans for a layout before going much further. That would allow running HDMI cable and speaker wires before you do much more with the dry wall.

It also builds more anticipation.

Appreciate the advice, good ideas...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
With a room that narrow you'll need in-wall speakers. And if you do that, you can do an acoustically transparent screen with front speakers behind it, and maybe get the screen larger.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
And with a projector I would get rid of the window especially since it is going to interfere with surround speakers and more importantly you need to control the amount of light in the room.

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
One alternative option is to annex the closet, and then utilize an acoustically transparent screen. One row of three
theater style rocker seats will fit in 9.5', and allow for narrow aisles.

So basically a 3 seat version of the JBL demo room. Max out the screen, and shadow box the front, to absorb light coming off
the screen. 30" for the front AT space, and eyeballs at 11.5' with 4' behind the seating.

You could hide the window by doing a window plug and stealth it out with fabric framed walls. In wall surrounds, with backer boxes.
You also stealth out the speakers, and sub up front, and could actually build some bass absorbers.

Attachments

• JBL demo room 1.JPG
    JBL demo room 1.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 106

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks