What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gifted -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Marc Webb's Gifted is essentially a tiny production, with four leads, and a few secondary players, that without the acting chops of the leads, could easily have drifted toward maudlin, family entertainment.

But it didn't.

The "gifted" youngster of the title is superbly played by a new name (to me), McKenna Grace, an 11-year old, with talent to spare.

She reminded me in certain ways of a young Kiernan Shipka, of Mad Men. I know, she's not exactly "old," at 17, but I'm thinking early seasons.

Her uncle is Chris Evans, in a superb role, especially out of super-hero land.

This one had me smiling from early on, and it only got better.

As potentially "family entertainment" as this one sounds, give it a shot. Your time will be rewarded.

A bit of a rarity these days, the film was shot on 35/3, by Stuart Dryburgh (Bridget Jones's Diary), and taken through to a (presumably) 2k DI.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed this film twice during its theatrical run so you can tell I really like this film. I watched it for the third time the other day on Blu-ray and I love it more so now. I watched all of the bonus material and I recommend people view the deleted scenes. Also, that young actress is amazing. As Chris Evans stated during one of the bonus materials, Grace is 9 going on 30 years old.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I viewed this film twice during its theatrical run so you can tell I really like this film. I watched it for the third time the other day on Blu-ray and I love it more so now. I watched all of the bonus material and I recommend people view the deleted scenes. Also, that young actress is amazing. As Chris Evans stated during one of the bonus materials, Grace is 9 going on 30 years old.

Agreed. It was akin to watching a highly trained 25-year old, in a 9-year old girl outfit.

She could have quite a career ahead of her, as long as she's protected from the bumps along the way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Agreed. It was akin to watching a highly trained 25-year old, in a 9-year old girl outfit.

She could have quite a career ahead of her, as long as she's protected from the bumps along the way.
She reminded me of Dakota Fanning when she was part of some bonus material for Man on Fire with Denzel Washington. I didn't talk like that at that age and none of my friends did either.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorites of the 2017 so far. Excellent cast from top to bottom, and a smarter script than the broad strokes of the plot would lead you to believe. Lower-budget character dramas like this used to be a key piece of the pie for the studios, but seem to have largely disappeared in the age of the tentpole.

Glad to hear the Blu-Ray is up to snuff.

Mckenna Grace is currently recurring as Kiefer Sutherland's daughter on "Designated Survivor". If you'd just seen that, you'd never know she had a performance like this one in her.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of my favorites of the 2017 so far. Excellent cast from top to bottom, and a smarter script than the broad strokes of the plot would lead you to believe. Lower-budget character dramas like this used to be a key piece of the pie for the studios, but seem to have largely disappeared in the age of the tentpole.

Glad to hear the Blu-Ray is up to snuff.

Mckenna Grace is currently recurring as Kiefer Sutherland's daughter on "Designated Survivor". If you'd just seen that, you'd never know she had a performance like this one in her.

It's all in what the filmmaker requests from, or is able to draw from an actor.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
She reminded me of Dakota Fanning when she was part of some bonus material for Man on Fire with Denzel Washington. I didn't talk like that at that age and none of my friends did either.

Robert: That's ANOTHER similar thought about this film that we both had. While my wife was certain we had seen McKenna Grace in something else (I had seen her in Designated Survivor, but she hadn't), it turned out that she probably was thinking of Dakota Fanning as a young actress.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks