What's new

Spdif soundbar issue (1 Viewer)

pk&k

Grip
Real Name
Tim
Hi all,

My roommate just bought a sceptre 4k UHD TV. Obviously it's a cheap tv so it doesn't have that many features.

I want to buy a soundbar for it, and was looking at the Yamaha YAS-203. Since the Yamaha doesn't have an HDMI input though, I'd have to use the SPDIF output from the TV to the soundbar. This would be fine, but the TV only outputs PCM audio through the optical port when that audio comes into the TV from an HDMI input. :/

The YAS-203 has some impressive surround sound capabilities; I tested it out in Best Buy today. But if I can't get Dolby 5.1 to it then it's pointless. What are my options??

pk&k

Grip
Real Name
Tim
The soundbar does not have an HDMI input, sorry that I didn't make that clear. It only has spdif and analog

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, you made it clear. That’s why I was asking why you were considering a sound bar without a HDMI input, since it appears that you need one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

pk&k

Grip
Real Name
Tim
Well I really like the sound quality from the Yamaha. I was just wondering if there was any workaround. I was thinking of a hdmi and optical audio extractor but I couldn't find one that did 4k pass through

pk&k

Grip
Real Name
Tim
Didn't even know about the 207, that could definitely solve my problem. It looks way more advanced too! Thanks for the help

pk&k

Grip
Real Name
Tim
The 207 only goes down to 40 Hz, the 203 goes down to 35 though. How noticeable would that be? I feel like it could make a big difference.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It should be noted that it’s pointless is trying to get surround sound from a sound bar. They don’t work all that great to begin with (compared to a real surround sound system with dedicated speakers), but those virtual surround schemes wholly rely on your having the right kind of room, as you can see in this picture from Yamaha’s web site. If you don’t have that room, then it’s even more a wasted effort. So you really don’t need HDMI, if that's your main reason for getting it.

EFD966FD97AE404683610B5EA30B07D1_12074_740x260_ad199ba17496ed395a1038e850f548be.jpg

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

pk&k

Grip
Real Name
Tim
I did install a real 5.1 system in my old house and certainly there is no comparison. However, when I tested out the YAS-203 in Best Buy, it did produce similar effects. I was able to hear an object go past my head, which for $250 is impressive. I just don't want to lose the ability to potentially utilize that feature.

I'm a little concerned about the higher crossover frequency on the 207 as well. I haven't been able to find any good reviews of the 207 yet or comparisons with the 203. One review on AVS Forums said that the 207 was quite underwhelming.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ll for sure give you the “roommate of the year” award for all Your efforts on this! But why not just peruse Yamaha’s web site to find a sound bar with the features and specs you’re looking for?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks