What's new

Wind River (2017)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Title: Wind River (2017)

Tagline: Nothing is harder to track than the truth.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller

Director: Taylor Sheridan

Cast: Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen, Gil Birmingham, Kelsey Asbille, Jon Bernthal, Graham Greene, Julia Jones, Martin Sensmeier, Tyler Laracca, Tokala Black Elk, James Jordan, Eric Lange, Ian Bohen, Hugh Dillon, Matthew Del Negro, Teo Briones, Tantoo Cardinal, Apesanahkwat, Althea Sam, Blake Robbins, Austin R. Grant, Norman Lehnert, Shayne J. Cullen, Dallin Tusieseina, Gabe Casdorph, Mason D. Davis, Chris Romrell, Ian Roylance, Gus Sheridan, Dana Anquoe, Duy Beck, David Cardona, Teresa Duran-Norvick, Devin Hansen, Tara Karsian, Tara Karsian

Release: 2017-08-03

Runtime: 107

Plot: An FBI agent teams with the town's veteran game tracker to investigate a murder that occurred on a Native American reservation.

'Wind River' is in limited release right now. It's playing at a single theater in our area. If it's available in your area, do yourself a favor and go see it!

'Wind River' stars Jeremy Renner as a wildlife & game tracker that uses his skills to help to try to solve the murder of a young native American woman. The unfolding story is a real edge-of-the-seat thriller. I believe Renner will be nominated for Best Actor for this role. Yes, he's that good.

HIGHLY recommended. The Booth Bijou gives 'Wind River' 5 out of 5 stars.

The film current has a 87% critic rating and 91% audience rating at RT:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wind_river_2017

Over at IMDB it has 7.8 out of 10 stars:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5362988/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Trailer:

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My brother lives in a small town in the middle of the real Wind River reservation. It will be interesting to see how closely the film echos the problems associated with the real place. Life is pretty rough there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A Taylor Sheridan film is all you needed to say as I caught the trailer a while back and will definitely be seeing this once it opens near me.

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
'Wind River' is in limited release right now. It's playing at a single theater in our area. If it's available in your area, do yourself a favor and go see it!

'Wind River' stars Jeremy Renner as a wildlife & game tracker that uses his skills to help to try to solve the murder of a young native American woman. The unfolding story is a real edge-of-the-seat thriller. I believe Renner will be nominated for Best Actor for this role. Yes, he's that good.

Trailer:

Mark

Peter Yee

Premium
I'm hoping this will open near me soon. Otherwise, the nearest theater showing it is 40 miles away (San Francisco). Or I could always wait for the UHD Blu-ray to come out. Given the price of movie tickets in big cities, it's nearly a wash. ;-)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Trailer:

Mark

How violent is this film? The trailer has me interested.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd very much like to see this. Hell Or High Water was probably my favorite movie of 2016, and I'm excited to see what the writer has come up with for his next film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'll be seeing this next week. Once my Movie Pass comes in the mail. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'll be seeing this next week. Once my Movie Pass comes in the mail. :)

Let us know how that is - maybe start a thread about it? After hearing about in the news this week, I'm curious to hear about firsthand experiences. My concern is that it doesn't work for the types of films presentations I'm most likely to see (IMAX and/or 3D) but maybe it's still worth it anyway.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Let us know how that is - maybe start a thread about it? After hearing about in the news this week, I'm curious to hear about firsthand experiences. My concern is that it doesn't work for the types of films presentations I'm most likely to see (IMAX and/or 3D) but maybe it's still worth it anyway.
When read about it on Time, it said the theater had to accept debit cards.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Beyond the writer/director and lead actors, I had no idea what this movie was about and I was very impressed by it. It's a mystery, it's a modern day western and it's got some really dark subject matter. The locations certainly help but the movie looks great too.

A Taylor Sheridan film is all you needed to say as I caught the trailer a while back and will definitely be seeing this once it opens near me.
He was an actor on Sons Of Anarchy and, I think, on a commentary, they said that he had asked to be written out so he could dedicate his time to writing. I remember thinking "Welp, you'll never hear of that dude again" and in just three movies, I've been proven to be very wrong.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sicario and Hell or High Water both made my best-of-the-year lists for the last two years, so Wind River was right up there on my most-anticipated list this year, right next to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and The Last Jedi. I got to see it yesterday and fortunately, it did not disappoint at all. Taylor Sheridan has now written one of the best films of the year for three years running -- and since Soldado, the sequel to Sicario, was recently dated for next June, I don't see any reason to expect his streak will end here, either.

I was really impressed with the movie. It's got the bones of a crime procedural, but the atmosphere, character development and attention to cultural details really elevate it above what you'd find in a case-of-the-week TV format. The worldbuilding was very specific and felt lived-in and authentic, and the mystery, while not terribly twisty, kept me on my toes and invested throughout. It was also really great to see Elizabeth Olsen and Jeremy Renner stretch themselves beyond what is required of them in the MCU...not that they're bad in that or anything, because I very much enjoy those films, too, but this required them to go to much darker and more nuanced places by the nature of the material.

How violent is this film?

Well, it's a murder mystery and there is one disturbing scene that is a flashback to some violent circumstances just prior to the victim's death. However, aside from that, I didn't think it was too bad. Most of the other violence is gun-related (shootouts, etc.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's a murder mystery and there is one disturbing scene that is a flashback to some violent circumstances just prior to the victim's death. However, aside from that, I didn't think it was too bad. Most of the other violence is gun-related (shootouts, etc.)
Yeah, it's not graphically violent (like wallowing in someone screaming as blood squirts out) but the nature of the movie dictates some violence.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sicario and Hell or High Water both made my best-of-the-year lists for the last two years, so Wind River was right up there on my most-anticipated list this year, right next to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and The Last Jedi. I got to see it yesterday and fortunately, it did not disappoint at all. Taylor Sheridan has now written one of the best films of the year for three years running -- and since Soldado, the sequel to Sicario, was recently dated for next June, I don't see any reason to expect his streak will end here, either.

I was really impressed with the movie. It's got the bones of a crime procedural, but the atmosphere, character development and attention to cultural details really elevate it above what you'd find in a case-of-the-week TV format. The worldbuilding was very specific and felt lived-in and authentic, and the mystery, while not terribly twisty, kept me on my toes and invested throughout. It was also really great to see Elizabeth Olsen and Jeremy Renner stretch themselves beyond what is required of them in the MCU...not that they're bad in that or anything, because I very much enjoy those films, too, but this required them to go to much darker and more nuanced places by the nature of the material.

Yeah, it's not graphically violent (like wallowing in someone screaming as blood squirts out) but the nature of the movie dictates some violence.
Ok, thanks. I'm not really into thrillers that wallow in the gore of murder. Alien movies, ok, but not murder thrillers. Ok, I'm weird. ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wouldn't say that it wallows in gore. Even the scene I mentioned before is a
gang rape
, so it's not...gory, per se, jut uncomfortable to watch.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I caught this today at the local arthouse theater and really enjoyed it.

Jeremy Renner is essentially slipping into the Western archetype of the stoic adventurer who has experienced hardship and knows the land like the back of his hand. But he puts a twenty-first century spin on it; his character is not a cave man. Some of my favorite scenes are between him and his ex-wife, or him and his surviving child. You feel the void of his loss acutely.

Elizabeth Olsen is great playing a character that easily could have gone wrong but never does. Sheridan writes Jane Banner an FBI agent who is very green and very out of her element, but neither stupid nor incompetent. She possesses an exceedingly rare quality for cinematic characters, especially cinematic law enforcement officers: She has a keen awareness of what she doesn't know. Rather than try to bluster her way through, she relies on the expertise of the local tribal law enforcement and actively recruits Renner's character to aid in her investigation. She has a number of humbling experiences in this movie, but rather than becoming defensive or feeling defeated, she accepts them as the learning opportunities that they are. I would love to revisit this character every few years with different mysteries in different parts of the country, so that by the time Olsen's in her late fifties or early sixties we'd have seven or eight Jane Banner pictures charting the course of a complete FBI career.

The supporting characters never devolve into cliches. Graham Greene is a particular highlight as the chief of the tribal police force, which has a half-dozen officers patrolling an area larger than the state of Rhode Island. He has a wonderful sardonic sense of humor. And while Gil Birmingham only has a few scenes as the victim's father, he makes the most of each and every one of them.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks