What's new

Ozark (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Hutchison
Can't say enough good things about this show. Jason Bateman, Laura Linney, and Esai Morales are all fantastic in this show. If you're not watching t

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Yeah, this is one of those shows that I've been on the fence with. I want to watch it but not quite sure if I should make the time to commit to it.

I read that it was already given a go for a second season.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So far it's just reminding me how great "Justified" was by comparison in dealing with low life criminal hillbilly characters. I think it got green-lighted and renewed in return for Jason Batemen doing two more runs of "Arrested Development" on Netflix.

I'm going to finish watching and love the location, but it just reminds me how great the Elmore Leonard-inspired characters were in "Justified," and how much better those stories unspooled.

Update: Okay, I just saw the 8th episode Kaleidoscope, which is a random play episode of events leading up to Marty working for the cartel boss and it was very well done. Still didn't explain why his wife does the affair, but settled many other questions.

Last edited:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just recently finished season 1 and I thought it was really excellent.
Sure they may be a few disturbing things throughout for some viewers.
But it's definitely worth watching.
Great characters and love problem after problem that piles on top one of another for the family.
The show runner has stated that he would like the show to last five seasons.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The pilot seemed a bit too much like "Breaking Bad", but once they got to the Ozarks it really took off. I just finished the third episode, and the writers made some decisions in episodes two and three that really differentiated it:
The biggest being that Marty immediately lets his wife in on the truth about what's going on, and it's not very long until the kids are also let in on the truth. No time wasted on three or four seasons of Marty trying to hide the truth from his family.

Julia Garner as Ruth Langmore may be my favorite fictional character of 2017. All redneck in upbringing and culture, but a razor sharp intellect.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So far it's just reminding me how great "Justified" was by comparison in dealing with low life criminal hillbilly characters.
Very few series will ever match "Justified" in my book. The characters and the dialog and the Elmore Leonard plotting were just really something special. There was a musicality to that show that this one doesn't have.

But seven episodes in, and I'm really enjoying it.

I read that it was already given a go for a second season.
Yes it has. Good news!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm three episodes into the second season, and man they're leaning into the darkness. As Marty and Wendy race to stay a step ahead of all of the forces arrayed against them, the wrecked lives are really starting to pile up around them.

It's still riveting television, but I'm not even really sure we're supposed to be rooting for anybody.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My wife would never watch The Sopranos because of the violence and potential nudity, but we watched this Season and it was way more violent and had even more strip club scenes. Had to laugh. But I hesitate to compare the two. This series is good trashy suspense fun but isn't remotely in the same class as The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad, which it definitely chases here.

And, no spoilers, but will be curious as to reactions when others are done with this season

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The entire premise of the show is a complete farce but I kind of enjoy it. 2 episodes into season 2 at the moment and don't plan to stop.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the second season. There's a couple big swings in there, but the show's going to have to watch out for stasis. As long as the family's got a cartel gun pointed to its collective head, there's only so much forward momentum that the show can muster.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
We have two more episodes of season 2, my wife and I are digging it. I agree and hope that it doesn't just keep going and they have a big picture framework figured out already. Maybe another couple seasons can wrap it up before it starts getting repetitive.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I am so late to the party on this show. Love it, not quite through season 2 yet and the comparisons with Justified are apt.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Such a dumb show but I can't quit it. Those comparing it to Justified please stop.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Only recently started watching Justified and only a few episodes in. I really don’t see any similarities.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Similarities to Justified;

Drugs
Crime
Take place in Appalachia type places

That's it. I like both but Justified was a far better show. (In my opinion, this is all subjective anyway)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I felt season 2 was kind of “more-of-the-same” ish. I don’t mean that as a complaint as I really liked both seasons. But I will say I don’t think it needs to go on for much longer. I could see this getting tiring and repetitive if it goes longer than perhaps a season four, and only if they can maintain quality to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks