What's new

Bass, LFE Trim and Low Pass. HELP (1 Viewer)

Dfranco

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I have at least four settings here that relate to bass and I'm lost as to what they should all equate to.

Volume:
Obviously this is just the bass volume on the subwoofer itself (a physical toggle), pretty straightforward. I move it up and down based on need but typically keep it around 70%.

Low Pass:
Another physical toggle on the subwoofer itself, ranges from 60Hz to 120Hz . No idea what to use here.

LFE Trim:
This is a setting on the receiver that ranges from -10db to 0db. I currently have it at 0 but not sure why...

Bass:
This is the bass tone setting on the receiver. I usually keep it about middle of the road and manage the bass volume on the subwoofer itself (see first line).

Any suggestions here? I'm lost!

thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Volume: I'd set it lower. 1/2 or a little less, in general. This isn't all that important, since you ultimately set the actual volume with the receiver, but if you set this higher, the receiver puts out a lower level signal, which can cause the sub not to turn on when it should.

Low Pass: Options vary with subwoofers, but if you are using the sub output from a surround receiver, you want to bypass this completely. If there is an LFE option or input, use that. If there's no LFE input or setting, set this to the highest setting available.

LFE Trim: I think this is a setting to reduce the level of the LFE (low frequency effects) in movies, particularly action flicks. Leave it to 0, but if you find that effects like explosions are too loud, but other low frequencies are fine, then turn it down until you get what you want. When everything is calibrated right, 0 is the correct setting, but if you live in an apartment turning it down might keep your neighbors from wanting to kill you.

Bass: Leave it in the middle, as far as I'm concerned, unless the system just sounds a little thin.

Dfranco

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Volume: I'd set it lower. 1/2 or a little less, in general. This isn't all that important, since you ultimately set the actual volume with the receiver, but if you set this higher, the receiver puts out a lower level signal, which can cause the sub not to turn on when it should.

Low Pass: Options vary with subwoofers, but if you are using the sub output from a surround receiver, you want to bypass this completely. If there is an LFE option or input, use that. If there's no LFE input or setting, set this to the highest setting available.

LFE Trim: I think this is a setting to reduce the level of the LFE (low frequency effects) in movies, particularly action flicks. Leave it to 0, but if you find that effects like explosions are too loud, but other low frequencies are fine, then turn it down until you get what you want. When everything is calibrated right, 0 is the correct setting, but if you live in an apartment turning it down might keep your neighbors from wanting to kill you.

Bass: Leave it in the middle, as far as I'm concerned, unless the system just sounds a little thin.

Thanks John!
When you say bypass the low pass, how would I do that? The dial for low pass starts at 60 and goes to 120... Am I missing something?
Thanks again

Dfranco

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Oh.
Maybe I should add there seem to be two types of inputs into the subwoofer. One is single input and is labelled unfiltered. The other is dual and is labelled filtered. I was using the unfiltered.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh.
Maybe I should add there seem to be two types of inputs into the subwoofer. One is single input and is labelled unfiltered. The other is dual and is labelled filtered. I was using the unfiltered.
That's the one. Usually it will say "LFE". It's not affected by the low pass adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks