What's new

What Movies Do You Know Inside Out? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I understand this is a forum which has quite a few movie fanciers who know very many movies really well.

And I KNOW that there are folks here who know more about Citizen Kane and The Seventh Seal than the average citizen.

But I'm talking about the films that you can watch over and over...and you do. They become like a comfortable pair of shoes. And you can recite much of the dialogue along the way. The films from which you quote lines as you engage in discussions with other family members. And they know what you're talking about and why you're saying what you're saying.

These are the films in which you anticipate things happening and start laughing ahead of time.

And they might not be films which were immensely popular at the box office (which might make you scratch your head since you enjoyed them so much) but which were popular enough in your family to cause a purchase and repeated viewings. And these shared viewings lead to a commonality of understanding--a shared experience which allows you to enjoy moments of the movie together even when you are nowhere near a TV.

I think of three for my family and me.

The first was Arthur (1981). This was a film my wife and I and a number of friends saw over and over in the theater and on VHS. It was eminently quotable and to this day we consistently regurgitate any number of lines from it. "He's taking the knife out of the cheese. Where's the rest of this moose? It's SO small, Rhode Island could beat the crap out of it in a war. It's a goner."

The 2nd was That Thing You Do (1999). This film is so ingrained into my family's existence that whenever we see anything that prompts a memory of it we immediately contact the rest to explain. Again, lines of dialogue come early and often sprinkled throughout our everyday conversations. "I quit, I quit! Chad? Who's Chad? Would you like to buy a chicken?! I don't believe I want to live in a country where you have to stay open on Sunday to do business."

And now, La La Land (2016). My wife and I have watched it numerous times and the more we watch it the more we smile at the nuance of various lines and how we react to them...and these lines are now starting to creep into our vernacular. "It's a classic rope-a-dope. No Jamal, you be trippin! What do you mean you don't like jazz? It just means that when I listen to it, I don't like it."

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
- Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke
- Cheech and Chong's Next Movie
- Fast Times at Ridgemont High

(To a lesser degree).
- Terminator 1
- Idiocracy
- Singles

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For me, it's mostly movies that I watched a bunch as a kid and continued to watch as an adult. The biggest ones are the Star Wars movies and then there's Aliens, the Back To The Future movies, the first 2 Die Hard movies, the first 8 Friday The 13th movies, the first 5 Halloween movies, the Jaws movies (even the awful third and fourth movies), the first 5 A Nightmare On Elm Street movies, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Scream, the first 2 Terminator movies, Titanic, etc.

1fFrFGe.jpg

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
- All the Bond movies
- Where Eagles Dare
- The Guns of Navarone
- It's a Wonderful Life
- North By Northwest
- Saboteur
- Desperate Journey(Errol Flynn)

I watch all of these at LEAST annually, sometimes several times a year, except for IAWL which I reserve for Christmas viewing. They're my "go to" movies for when I'm not in any particular mood but just want to escape for a few hours.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Driving Miss Daisy
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Candyman
The Princess Bride
Jaws
Raiders/Indiana Jones
Hairspray (original & musical)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When I was in college, I could quote the entire first half hour of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I bought the LP 2-disc set that were the complete dialogue tracks to the movie (music removed, just dialogue) and listening to it over and over ingrained that first disc in my head.

My best friend and I frequently quote passages of The Firm to one another.

Personally, the movie I watch more than any other and that I know practically by heart is Murder, She Said.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
When I was 19 I moved to another state for a job and, of course, I was broke, at least at first. The place I was living did have a VCR (only 1 channel on TV by rabbit ears), but only 2 tapes (this was in the early days when they were expensive) and they were The Sound of Music and The Goodbye Girl. Those movies definitely seem like old friends. Later I acquired Raiders of the Lost Ark. I can pretty much recite those three movies from head to tail.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Aliens - I can still recite the entire movie (and even hum the music in all the right places). I bet I have seen Aliens upwards of 250 times in my lifetime.

Clue is another that I have seen so many times that it has become a part of my DNA. I used to watch Predator regularly as well, though not as much in recent years. I wish I could say that it was the film classics that I watch year after year, but it is really the movies that I first watched within a few important years (1985-1990) that a mix of nostalgia and reverence have imprinted the films upon me.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
The Time Machine
Back to the Future Trilogy
Star Wars Trilogy
Three Amigos - My sister and I often recite the entire dialogue between El Guapo and Jefe that starts with piñatas and ends with opening flowers.
The Fugitive
All the James Bonds
Inglorious Basterds - My wife and I have probably watched this movie together more than any other single film. We've both loved it since we saw it in the cinema together. Whenever we see each other about to eat a dessert without whipped cream, we'll say "Ah, ah, ahhh, wait for the crème." Heck, coincidently I just replied to a text to her today with "That's a bingo!"

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Some of my top movies we watch frequently.....

Grease ( we sing along)
13 Ghosts (1960)
Guns of Navarone
Most of the Halloweens
Most of the Friday the 13ths.
Hello Dolly
Wrong Turn
Most of the original Universal horror movies

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
and they were The Sound of Music and The Goodbye Girl. Those movies definitely seem like old friends. Later I acquired Raiders of the Lost Ark. I can pretty much recite those three movies from head to tail.

"So cry on the horsey! My careereth is over!" :D

Peg's always liked The Goodbye Girl Personally, I have a hard time with Richard Dreyfuss.

In fact, I was just telling Peg about this thread...and she cited City Slickers as another family favorite: "Norman. Helllooooooooooooooo! I made a cow!" And I will always remember that Don Hoak played 3rd base for the Pirates in 1960. :laugh:

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Aliens - I can still recite the entire movie (and even hum the music in all the right places). I bet I have seen Aliens upwards of 250 times in my lifetime.

Nice. I stopped counting after viewing #57. I'm sure it is over 100 now.

So other than Aliens my list:

-The Terminator

-Fright Night

-Dawn Of the Dead(Romero)

-Overboard

-Big

-Heathers

-Jaws

-Rocky

-Legend

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Inglorious Basterds - My wife and I have probably watched this movie together more than any other single film. We've both loved it since we saw it in the cinema together. Whenever we see each other about to eat a dessert without whipped cream, we'll say "Ah, ah, ahhh, wait for the crème." Heck, coincidently I just replied to a text to her today with "That's a bingo!"

Awesome. My favorite Quentin Tarantino film.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I know the film I have watched more times than any other is Dr. Strangelove and I quote from it all the time. Second most watches is probably Apocalypse Now. I used to recite dialogue from it all the time in younger days on road trips with friends. Jaws I have watched every summer for a very long time now. I have not had my annual viewing of it yet this summer. Last year I realized I knew the film so well I was saying the dialogue to myself before the characters spoke it. I think I have recited the Indianapolis speech way too many times whenever I was on a boat, kayak, canoe, whitewater rafting...whatever.

Monty Python is still something my friends and I often quote...from all of the films.

Whenever I do my Richard Burton impersonation it is quoting lines from Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe.

I do the "Mad as hell" speech in my best Peter Finch voice all the time...sadly it is incredibly relevant.

I once out of sheer boredom stood at the railing on the second floor of a mall and did the Chaplin speech from The Great Dictator...you know the one...because I had taken the time to memorize it to recite it at an event with friends. People gathered to listen to me on the mall and I actually got a round of applause and several people including mall security approached me when I finished.

Nobody knew the speech. They just thought I was either nuts or brilliant...and considered ejecting me from the mall.

I nearly repeated this once in an airport because I was stuck during a flight delay and I was attempting to amuse myself before my wife grabbed me and said "Do not do that here you will get arrested and subjected to a full body cavity search and I will not help you or defend you if you do."

Sadly, I think we need to hear this one more than ever over and over again...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A few I can think of: Jaws, Goodfellas, Flash Gordon (80), Tommy, Die Hard, Our Man Flint (the last thanks to many, many airings on ABC's 4:30 Movie in the NYC area).

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
The High & The Mighty
The Wild Bunch
A Summer place
Macabre(Castle)
Rio Bravo
Susperia
The Hustler
A & C meet Frankenstein
GoodFellas

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks