What's new

Pre-Order The Old Dark House (1932) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
166695_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
its still early, so Uni could announce in the next day or so for the next Monster sets, but if Return of the Creature isn't in 3D or 3D availble, i will wait for it to be presented correctly, i am so stoked this is coming Laughton in two great horror classics will be spinning in the player this year., not the name you usually associate with horror, but damn if Old Dark House and Island of Lost Souls are both near perfect IMO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another of those films from my youth in which I loved to watch late on a stormy night with thunder, lightening and howling winds.:)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Maybe there will be a late addition to Universal's October slate but it seems like the ship has sailed on The Invisible Man and The Creature From The Black Lagoon until next year. Like you said, The Old Dark House is a pretty good consolation prize.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the CREATURE set is being withheld until REVENGE OF THE CREATURE can properly prepared for 3D (by 3D Film Archives?). So, that would be a good reason for any delay. Just a guess.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I can't wait to see in HD Saul's face change to pure evil and Gloria Stuart in her white-flame dress. Bluray.com says this:

The Cohen Media Group has confirmed that it will release on Blu-ray the new 4K restoration of director James Whale's film The Old Dark House (1932), starring Boris Karloff, Melvyn Douglas, Charles Laughton, Lilian Bond, and Ernest Thesiger. The release will be available for purchase on October 24.

Supplemental features to be included on this upcoming release have not yet been finalized and will be detailed as the street date approaches.

upload_2017-8-16_5-23-24.png

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I have a sneaking suspicion that the CREATURE set is being withheld until REVENGE OF THE CREATURE can properly prepared for 3D (by 3D Film Archives?). So, that would be a good reason for any delay. Just a guess.

i wonder, we do have a resident expert on the forum, wonder if he is allowed to share any information on a possibility that is what Uni is doing.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
i wonder, we do have a resident expert on the forum, wonder if he is allowed to share any information on a possibility that is what Uni is doing.

Universal is putting a lot of their classic horror on Amazon in HD for streaming, i.e. THE BLACK CAT 1934 (my favorite), and MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE 1932, both available in HD for streaming on Amazon.

Last edited:

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
It would be nice if they could use Gloria Stuart's audio commentary from the old laserdisc. James Curtis, the author of "James Whale: A New World of Gods and Monsters" once told me that it was this commentary track that got her the role of "Old Rose" in "Titanic".

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Greatest horror film of all time. This is what I've been waiting for. And a 4K restoration by Cohen? It doesn't get any better than this!

8653_tn.jpg

It has always looked crapped on video, up to and including its Kino DVD. I can't wait to see it looking decent after all these years.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

If I ever posted what I might know, I would no longer know...

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Pre-ordered The Old Dark House Blu-ray at dvdplanet today.
Great deal plus 10% off now until Friday night.

I've longed to really be able to see this movie.
What I've seen in the past is like looking through something else in order to partially see the movie.
I'm really excited about this release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have to ask...worth a blind purchase?

This might be one of those films that only resonates well as a kid.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it depends on how you feel about the other Universal Monster Classics of the time (Frankenstein, Dracula, etc.) It's not exactly like those films but it's the same studio, same director, same cast as a lot of their horror titles. If you enjoy those films, you'll probably like this.

If you think the 1931 Dracula or Frankenstein is better as a rental and not something you feel the need to own, you'll probably feel the same about this one.

At least, that's my guess. I haven't seen this in far too long but am very excited for the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks