What's new

Warner Archives Announces Porky Pig Collection 1934-1943 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
PPCOVER-480.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
They will be all black and white except for the last two, which will be color. I assume they will start with Porky's first appearance in "I Haven't Got a Hat" and that the color ones will be "My Favorite Duck" and "A Corny Concerto."

I'm wondering what they will do re: racial stereotypes and censorship. Some of the Porky cartoons, like "Porky's Railroad" and "Africa Squeaks" could be problematic.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
They will be all black and white except for the last two, which will be color. I assume they will start with Porky's first appearance in "I Haven't Got a Hat" and that the color ones will be "My Favorite Duck" and "A Corny Concerto."

The color MM toons are I HAVEN'T GOT A HAT (1935) and OLD GLORY (1939).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Already two threads for this as reported yesterday morning. One from Ron in the correct Movies on DVD forum and also added to the Hanna Barbera/animation thread. But thanks for the effort of letting everyone know.

geo0000000

Auditioning
Real Name
geo
WB is run by THE "MOST BRILLIANT PEOPLE EVER" - EXXXXTTTRREEEMMMMEEEEEEE SARCASM

not only do they botch the release by being DVD only

not only do they botch the release by only 20 or so cartoons per DVD

they leave off the final 18 PORKY PIG in PORKY SERIES - explain why they did not include them????????? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porky_Pig_filmography
- NOTE - I DON'T MEAN ONES PORKY APPEARS IN OTHER CHARACTERS SERIES'S

at least then would been complete collection of PORKY SERIES - what we have is a DVD only incomplete mess

should be chronological order from 1st Merry Melodies / Looney Tunes, regardless of character on Dual Layer Blu-Rays

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The important item I took from the link in Ron's original post I bolded below:
Five years in the making – this set contains dozens of cartoons new to video, never before committed to DVD. Cartoons not seen on TV in decades. Support of this collection will signal to the company that fans of classic animated films still wish to buy collections on physical home media. It’s success will fuel further, more ambitious projects.

I'm taking Jerry Beck's words to heart and I just pre-ordered this on WBshop so they know there is interest in this.
Let's vote with our wallet, folks!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
So has anyone figured out exactly how many of these have NOT been seen in decades in the original format? After years of this period either represented by poor public domain prints or those awful redrawn 1960's stuff this is a pleasant surprise.

Wonder if Daffy Would be next - would be a smaller collection but still.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
This is undoubtedly the most promising development since the Golden Collections ended but, as someone who wants all the Looney Tunes released, there are several things that give me pause (without having heard Stu's Show).
  • Restoration is not mentioned.
  • With or without restoration, it's taken five years to produce five discs. With numerous double-dips here no doubt.
  • Even with restoration, they're (mostly all) black-and-white, which are far cheaper to restore.
  • This initial collection already comes with a disclaimer on sales expectations.
  • DVD-only indicates lower confidence. It also means, since "initial copies" is vague, we're playing pressed vs. burned.
I love that more LTs are coming, but this doesn't strike me as the proper effort for them. Certainly not after almost fifteen years (!) of doling them out piecemeal. In fact the above leaves me feeling this release happened almost in spite of itself.

I may need to learn more, but right now this seems like another misstep. Maybe it's because just today, before I saw this annoucement, I was daydreaming about a box set of 10-20 Blu-rays of the entire library? I dunno.

Last edited:

moviepas

Supporting Actor
A Corny Concerto was on the Public Domain market for years on 16mm, 8mm, VHS and DVD compilations.

Yes, a blu ray would be better. many of my purchases today are Blu ray or Blu ray-R.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
Does anybody know if there's an online checklist somewhere of which Warner Bros. cartoons are on home video, and where?

I could swear I saw such a page once, but now I can't find it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I've said several times here that a chronological approach to WB cartoons is a non-starter due the limited appeal of the first decade worth of shorts. Let's see if I was right.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
This is undoubtedly the most promising development since the Golden Collections ended but, as someone who wants all the Looney Tunes released, there are several things that give me pause (without having heard Stu's Show).
  • Restoration is not mentioned.
  • With or without restoration, it's taken five years to produce five discs. With numerous double-dips here no doubt.
  • Even with restoration, they're (mostly all) black-and-white, which are far cheaper to restore.
  • This initial collection already comes with a disclaimer on sales expectations.
  • DVD-only indicates lower confidence. It also means, since "initial copies" is vague, we're playing pressed vs. burned.
I love that more LTs are coming, but this doesn't strike me as the proper effort for them. Certainly not after almost fifteen years (!) of doling them out piecemeal. In fact the above leaves me feeling this release happened almost in spite of itself.

I may need to learn more, but right now this seems like another misstep. Maybe it's because just today, before I saw this annoucement, I was daydreaming about a box set of 10-20 Blu-rays of the entire library? I dunno.

According to the Stu's Show broadcast, these are straight transfers off of archival prints instead of the negatives with minimal remastering. No Blu because either the transfers didn't meet WAC's standards for Blu-Ray or budgets didn't allow for transfers in a resolution higher than 480p (my connection kept dropping out at that point). I know budgets are a factor, but I hope it's the former.

The screens on the Animation Scoop page look great. If not Golden Collection quality, then they should AT LEAST be on par with the Olive Betty Boop discs (which were also straight transfers of prints).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks